General Discussion Race Reports! » Tawas HIM- 3Disciplines Festival of Races Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tawas HIM- 3Disciplines Festival of Races - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tawas, MI, Michigan
United States
3Disciplines
79F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 12m 44s
Overall Rank = 10/164
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/31
Pre-race routine:

Dropped off morning clothes at Rottieguy's RV site and put the wetsuit on. I had been sick for a couple of days and wasn't really feeling it before the race. As a result I revised my goal from 5:10:00 to 5:15- 5:25 for this race.
Event warmup:

Not much really. Got the wetsuit on, talked to some peeps, hung out.

Swim
  • 34m 29s
  • 2187 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Pretty uneventful swim. The water and conditions were great this year compared to last year. Just tried to relax and take it easy. I felt comfortable the entire swim and just glided along. Felt pretty effortless.
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Transition 1
  • 03m 8s
Comments:

Long run, probably 1/4 mile from beach to transition. I actually felt much slower than this, but I'm happy with it.

nothing
Bike
  • 2h 38m 55s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.14 mile/hr
Comments:

I paced this bike leg pretty aggressively. I don't have many opportunities to train on hills, so this type of a course is challenging for me. I felt very weak when climbing, I think it has something to do with being sick.
Overall I am happy with my effort, pace, and time.
There was, as is common at this event, a LOT of drafting. A lot. For the record, cheaters suck, bad.

Not much
Transition 2
  • 00m 37s
Comments:

I had the fastest T2 time of all the HIM athletes, so I can't be upset. I did have to rerack my bike because it was so cock-eyed after the first attempt.

nothing
Run
  • 1h 55m 37s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I had Endurolytes in my T2 bag, but intentionally left them in my bag. At the prerace meeting they very clearly stated that there were Endurolytes at the run aid stations, and my sponsor tri suit (the race director) does not have pockets, so I decided to live off the course- BAD MOVE!
I should have at least popped two before I left T2.
There were NONE on the course, as I personally scoured each and every aid station.
Cramps began to set in at mile 2 after a 7:42 first mile and 7:48 second mile. I walked about 30 seconds while massaging the cramp out, and then began to reevaluate. I decided to pace much more conservatively and to walk each aid station. My routine at the aid stations was drink as much of one cup of HEED as possible, one cup of water in the hatch, and one cup of water over the head.
I felt really cooked by mile ten, but knew that I had put forth a good effort, so I wasn't disappointed.
As I entered the finish chute my hammy started to cramp, so I walked the last twenty meters or so. It was actually pretty cool, as people were cheering and I was rubbing my hammy pretty intensely.

Not rely on the course.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, watermelon.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being a wimp?!

Event comments:

This is a good race. It is an excellent course and the city really gets behind the race and supports the athletes. If the rules were enforced and the aid stations were as advertised, this would be a must do race each year. As it is, I will still probably come back again.

Last updated: 2011-09-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:29 | 2187 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/31
Overall: 11/164
Performance: Average
Suit: Full Xterra Vortex
Course: Beach start, around a buoy, parallel shore out and back.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:08
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:38:55 | 56 miles | 21.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/31
Overall: 16/164
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: This is a pretty challenging course. It is pretty much an out and back with some nice rollers, sweeping curves with some on the downs, and a nice 3 mile out and back that drops down to a dam, then you get to climb back out.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 87
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:55:37 | 13.1 miles | 08m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/31
Overall: 20/164
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back twice. Open road, very boring course. HOT, with very little shade.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-09-11 6:57 PM

Subject: Tawas HIM- 3Disciplines Festival of Races
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tawas HIM- 3Disciplines Festival of Races Rss Feed