United States
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m 56s
Overall Rank = 80/2417
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 9/412
Pre-race routine:

I very nearly didn’t do this race. When the swim was cancelled I thought there wasn’t much point even though I had had a great time racing it last year. I hadn't tapered as my mind is focused on IMFL. But then, on further reflection, almost at the last minute I decided to do it. It’s my family’s last year in the US before we head back to the UK next summer so I won’t get another easy chance to ride like a hooligan around closed streets of DC. And it is the 10th anniversary of 9/11 of course : so in some ways I came round to feeling that being in DC, doing the race, experiencing the event with an additional dimension, was somehow showing my own respect as America remembered.

And so I lined up near the swim corrals this morning with 4000 others and heard the best rendition of the US national anthem, as the Stars and Stripes was hung from a large gantry by a firefighter and the sun rose over the Washington Monument. It was an electrifying, goosebump, moment and one that I won’t forget.

Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 00m
  • 1640 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

No swim - Potomac running too fast and with too much debris following storms earlier in the week
Transition 1
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

From corrals outside of transition - started with aerohelmet and sunglasses on (but went with racing flats on the feet rather than my bike cleats)

We could start with bike helmets on, so I imagine that an alien arriving from Mars this morning and landing in West Potomac park would have been highly confused by a large group of men and women with helmets on crammed into cattle-like pens. Anyhow the time passed as I watched other waves shuffle forward. I looked at my HR in the corral just as we started. 62BPM – hmm maybe I wasn’t treating this race with much respect.
What would you do differently?:

Be more assertive and get to the front of my wave to get a clear start (even with 15 others in the group I was held up running to my bike)
Bike
  • 59m 19s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 25.14 mile/hr
Comments:

As soon as I started the bike I kicked into a good rhythm. It’s a fast course and impossible not to draft at times especially down Clara Barton. But I didn’t get too held up and this was fast for me. I enjoyed it hugely and I felt the hooligan factor crank up as we headed back into town. It was all over very quickly – only took a couple of sips of Gatorade and water.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

All good

Nothing
Run
  • 40m 41s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

This run was short by about 0.2 mile. Really annoying – I imagine that the RD just hadn’t re-measured the course following the move of the transition area. So while I had a good run it wasn’t really that good. Took a few sips of water at aid stations but that was it.

Push the pace harder for last 3 miles rather than last mile only
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of taper. Run pacing

Event comments:

OK - putting aside all the 9/11 anniversary emotions. I can't complain abou the lack of a swim - Mother Nature has been cruel in this area for a couple of weeks (actually it was quite a feat to get the race on this week). But I was slightly annoyed that all the medium T shirts had run out by 5pm on Saturday (even with a whole lot of no shows), and far more annoyed that the run course was too short - I mean how difficult is it to measure 10k ?

I think though that the organisers need to look carefully at the overall numbers on the bike course given the route : there just isn't enough time to get things spread out. It is amazing there aren't more accidents as there is a massive range of abilities and route is narrow, especially on Clara Barton.

Post race is fine - good food and good live band.

However even if I wasn't going back to the UK next summer ahead of next year's Nations Tri - I wouldn't do it again.

Last updated: 2010-10-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 1640 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/412
Overall: 0/2417
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:39
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:59:19 | 24.85 miles | 25.14 mile/hr
Overall: 55/2417
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Flat and fast
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:18
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:40:41 | 06.21 miles | 06m 33s  min/mile
Overall: 171/2417
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-09-11 8:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Gloucestershire, England
Subject: Nation's Triathlon

2011-09-11 9:17 PM
in reply to: #3681561

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Subject: RE: Nation's Triathlon

Nice bike split!

Do come back for local races after you return to Blighty. You'll surely be missing the humidity.

2011-09-12 7:41 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Wow...smokin' bike time.  Great race!
2011-09-12 11:38 AM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Great race.  At first I thought that there were a lot of peletons.  As I rode on, I realized that these were actually traffic jams.  With that said, it would have been nearly impossible to impose drafting penalties, as it was impossible to avoid getting sucked into someone's drafting zone and then being unable to pass them.

A weird race, no doubt, but still one of my favorites.

2011-09-12 8:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Gloucestershire, England

Mike - yes you are right.  I felt bad the first time I was in a pack being held up but I certainly wasn't going to lose my place in the far left of the road by attempting to move right into a slower lane of bikes !  And of course there wasn't any chance of a USAT official actually getting onto the bike route at Clara Barton to see what was going on.

Adrian  

2011-09-13 11:34 AM

User image

Veteran

I was really annoyed that a dozen or so riders that I had passed earlier on the course caught up to me in a pack near the end of the race, clearly violating the individual spirit of the race by drafting.

I appreciate the insight on the course being short. I knew something was fishy when I clocked at 7:43/mile and my garmin was at 8:00.

Awesome race for you. Top ten in your AG!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nation's Triathlon Rss Feed