Start 2 Finish Event Management
81F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 21m 54s
Overall Rank = 5/148
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/11
Pre-race routine:

Drank coffee and granola bar on the way to the race. Ate a banana and extra granola bar after I got there; the race was delayed for about 30 minutes for fog on the river to lift. Got my transition set up and just roamed around, mainly to stay warm... it was a chilly morning!
Event warmup:

Jogged a little before the pre-race meeting. Got in the water and swam about 150 yards after meeting. It was a little cold out so didn't take a long warmup (no wetsuit).
Swim
  • 26m 31s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

Wave start from boat ramp, all males 39 and under. This was my first wave start, so it was pretty fun. Thought a pack was in front of me before the first buoy, but couldn't locate anyone to draft off. Thought they were really fast and I ended up with a lonely swim... nobody even drafted on me! Turns out that I was the third swimmer out of the water. I think the course may have been measured long, as I would normally swim this length quite a bit faster in both open water and pool.
What would you do differently?:

Sighting was good, so would have lifted my head to sight less. I sighted every 4 strokes but could have gone longer between peeks. Was a little worried about water temp (and air temp was chilly) but once I got started it felt just fine.
Transition 1
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

I put my shoes on at the racks because I don't have tri shoes. I run up to the mouting line and just step over, then begin to ride. Not too fancy.

I would have pulled my towel out a little and left a small patch where I could sit to put on my shoes. I got some sand etc. stuck to my rear.
Bike
  • 1h 11m 50s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.76 mile/hr
Comments:

I was a little leery of staying far to the right as instructed by the USAT ref. This would have left very little room between me and the traffic passing on my right. I kind of hovered in the center of the lane. Tried to take it pretty easy on the bike. My first triathlon was Olympic (this was my third) and I went too hard on the bike, which seemed to cause my run to be slower than expected. This time around it worked out better.

I was unsure about the turnaround, and the volunteer there was texting on his phone. He looked up at the last minute and said "turn around here!" I ended up locking up the rear when I simultaneously slammed on the brakes and began to turn, and the rear end stepped out. Lucky I didn't go down.
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Dismouted smoothly and ran with my shoes on. Racked the bike quickly but chose to wear socks for the run as I got some small blisters on my 2nd tri without socks, and that was only 3.1 miles. Had socks pre-rolled and positioned in my running shoes, but it still took me probably 20 seconds to get them and the shoes on. Put on my visor and race belt on the fly as I exited transition.
Run
  • 41m 21s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

As I mentioned, I really enjoyed the shaded path. Well, as much as you can enjoy something when you feel like keeling over. Grabbed a water cup at every aid station and drank a slosh of water; most of the contents of each cup ended up splashing all over me, which was great!

I must have missed the mile markers for 4, 5, and 6. After 1500m swimming, 25 miles biking, and 3 miles running I was really tired and would have liked to been able to hit the lap button on my watch to verify my pace. Everything ended up fine though.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked for a long time after the race. Just kind of kept moving, drinking water and a bottle of Powerbar Ironman drink that they handed me at the finish. Eventually I went down and took a little swim which was nice!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing but more/better training. The race went well for me with no major mistakes, hydration and nutrition were good. I brought 1 bottle of gatorade on the bike (and drank nearly the whole bottle), and drank only water on the run. I took 1 gel 15 min before the swim, and ate 3 or 4 gu "chomps" on the bike.

Event comments:

The event was delayed, but that was due to fog on the river. We wouldn't have been able to see the buoys.

There were plenty of volunteers to direct traffic, especially at the congested areas. Great announcer at the end of the race who called out your name and home city. Great crowd and finish line location where everyone hanging out could look down on the finishing chute. Really nice finisher's medals, and a nice plaque for finishing 1st in AG.

The food was good afterwards, and there was plenty to drink. They gave a nice tee shirt as well; not the kind that has 5 minutes of thought put into the logo. Overall a nicely-run race in a good location, with a somewhat but not too challenging course.

Last updated: 2011-09-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:31 | 1640 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 0/148
Performance: Good
Suit: No wetsuit
Course: Rectangular course; across river, down river, back across, and then upstream to the finish. Current was slightly less than 1mph so the upstream leg seemed to last longer.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:05
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:11:50 | 24.85 miles | 20.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/11
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back on 4 lane divided highway. Left lane each way was closed to traffic, but right lane open.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:41:21 | 06.21 miles | 06m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/11
Course: First 1.5 miles of the course was on road, and not shaded. By this time the sun was out and it was hot! I was thinking things were about to get ugly. Luckily, the course transitioned to a shaded running path to the turnaround point and back to about mile 4.5.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-09-11 9:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Nashvegas Olympic Triathlon

2011-09-11 10:52 PM
in reply to: #3681656

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
Subject: RE: Nashvegas Olympic Triathlon
Great job and an epic time, enjoyed the report.
2011-09-13 7:03 PM
in reply to: #3681753

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Nashvegas Olympic Triathlon

furiousferret - 2011-09-11 10:52 PM Great job and an epic time, enjoyed the report.

Thanks!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nashvegas Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed