United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 30m 25s
Overall Rank = 362/421
Age Group = W25-29
Age Group Rank = 0/23
Pre-race routine:

I woke up around 3:45a and ate breakfast: An egg with jelly on a piece of toast. I loaded up the car and left by 4:30a. Got to the site around 5:30a. Picked up my packet and set up my transition spot. My mom drove up and so I met up with her once she arrived.
Event warmup:

I swam maybe 200 meters? The water was very warm, 81 degrees.
Swim
  • 52m 24s
  • 1640 yards
  • 03m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

Yes, I did terribly on the swim! This was my first Olympic distance race, but I have comfortably swam this distance and greater distances before. However, at one point I looked up and realized I had swam WAY off course - I swore out loud and a lady in a kayak who was paddling behind said "Yeah, you're way out here." I added about 300 meters, I think. Then I did it again! Twice! But this time only about 100 meters off course. So clearly, I need to improve my sighting.

I had some small panics and had to backstroke, but nothing major. My legs and feet cramped up twice during the last 400 meters or so.
What would you do differently?:

Do better sighting. I also should have eaten something additional before the swim. I hadn't eaten since I had breakfast (although I did have 16oz gatorade)
Transition 1
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

This was fine. Just ran in, wiped off my feet, put on my shoes, race belt, helmet and sunnies. I think it was about a 200 meter run from swim to transition. I know my time doesn't seem fast, but it was 5th fastest in my age group.
Bike
  • 1h 30m 14s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.52 mile/hr
Comments:

I was pretty tired from my very long swim. I would have liked to have gone faster, but my legs didn't have it in me. I still pushed as hard as I could. My plan was to take in some gel once my stomach had settled. I reached into my fuel belt and I dropped my gel! I thought, no big deal, I have more, but then I dropped my next gel! I only had some shots after that, so took some. I wasn't feel well after the first loop, and knew I wasn't going to be setting any sort of record, so on the second loop I stopped and pick my gel up from the ground.

Do better taking in nutrition. If my hands are shaking, best to wait awhile so as not to drop it.
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Got in and got out. Put on a hat. This was my first time actually jumping off the bike while it was still in motion. I had never done that before and only realized it until after I had done it.
Run
  • 1h 04m 42s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

At this point, it was HOT. The sun was beating down. I also was mentally dejected - I had a terrible swim, the bike took longer than I would have liked. I was giving myself all sorts of reasons to just take it easy. And I did. I wish that I sucked it up and put in a good run, but I started getting side stitches about 1 mile in and I just slowed down, did some walking.

I beat myself up a bit about mentally checking out. I should have stayed present and aware and pushed through.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some ice out of the kiddie pool and put it in my sports bra. Felt good!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

All sorts of things. I should have eaten more before the race, should have had better sighting, packed more gel on my bike, taken in more nutrition and also pushed through when things were tough.

Last updated: 2011-01-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:52:24 | 1640 yards | 03m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 0/421
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: Counter clockwise, one loop.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:44
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:30:14 | 24.85 miles | 16.52 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Two loop course. with hills. There was an area that was torn up from construction.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:19
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:04:42 | 06.21 miles | 10m 25s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Two loop course around Lake Zurich (the lake, not the town).
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?