General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Chicago, Illinois
United States
Capri Events
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 12m 34s
Overall Rank = 1733/3326
Age Group = W25-29
Age Group Rank = 99/282
Pre-race routine:

I had packed the night before. I woke up around 3:45a and felt well rested. My husband drove me to transition and we left around 4:15 and got there by 4:40. Transition is huge! I knew it was big, but didn't know it would be that large. I was in wave 46, so I had a really good transition spot, right on the path into transition, but by the bike exit. I racked my bike next to a large tree. I set up my area and walked through transition so I could be sure to find it. Transition closed at 5:45. I was in one of the last waves to go off - at 9:18, so I had some time to kill. I packed an oatmeal, PB and banana breakfast and ate that around 6:15, while watching the sprint racers. I watched the swim at various points on the course. Once the Oly started, I walked down to the swim turnaround so I could time how long it was taking waves to reach it and take a guess on how long it would take me. Around 8:45 I did some stretching and put on my wetsuit. At 9a I walked to the swim start and waited with my wave.
Event warmup:

No swimming, just some stretching.
Swim
  • 45m 51s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

After my terrible swim at my last Oly tri, I really practiced my swimming and sighting in open water. I swam all summer in Lake Michigan and I felt prepared for this race. Because I had so much time before my wave went off, I watched a lot of the swimming. The water looked choppy, but watching all the swimmers I wasn't nervous about it. I just kept telling myself that I have swam in far worse this summer. Once I entered the lake, I placed myself about in the middle in terms of front to back and side to side. Once the horn went off, I doggy paddled for about 10 strokes as people went around me. At that point, I thought, screw it, just get your head in the water and start swimming. And once I did, I felt great! The chop wasn't bad and I only had two run-ins. But otherwise swimming close to others wasn't bad. I was in the fourth to last wave, so once the fast guys behind me passed me up, maybe I had more room than some of the other athletes who had earlier waves. It was a warm summer, so this was my first race in a wetsuit and I had no problems with it. I exited the swim at about 43:30, which I realize is nothing to write home about, but it was a MAJOR improvement from my last Oly tri swim and my goal was to beat 45 minutes and be feeling good and fresh and I did that. So I was pretty happy.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing! Obviously, I need to be a faster swimming and my winter goal is to work with a coach. But for the swimming ability I have, I am very happy with my swim. There was no panicking and I swam nice and relaxed. Of course, it helps that you swim along the seawall. My mom was wearing a hot pink jacket and it was really easy to track my family. I had a friend who literally yelled my name everytime I turned my head to breathe, so I was aware of the good cheer throughout the swim.
Transition 1
  • 03m 22s
Comments:

I'm not sure how long the run is to transition. Somewhere between 400-600 meters. But that is included in my swim time. I ran the whole way in and unzipped my wetsuit. My transition spot was pretty good, it was on the main path through the area, just all the way in the very back. It was easy to find my bike. I did take a few extra moments to wipe down my legs and also to make sure I had lots of gel! Didn't want to make that mistake again.
Bike
  • 1h 25m 47s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.38 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt good for the bike. I would have liked to have gone a little bit faster, but there was an 18mph headwind for half of the course. Of course, that also meant there was an 18 mph tailwind, which felt great! I saw many people who had pulled over and had flats. The course was bumpy at times and water bottles were on the ground. This is where having such a late start wave paid off - the first loop was crowded, but my second loop was not bc no new riders were entering the course. I took in gels twice and drank 24 oz water.
Transition 2
  • 02m 46s
Run
  • 54m 47s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

I am very pleased with my run. I sucked on a shot blok every mile and drank sips of water at every aid station. I had no cramping, which I normally get at some point. Plenty of aid stations throughout the course. There was even a Gu station. The last mile and a half was mentally tough. Maybe bc I knew how close I was?
What would you do differently?:

Gone a little faster?
Post race
Event comments:

Overall I am very pleased. I greatly improved my time from my last Oly. I improved on the things I set out to do: sighting, mentality, nutrition. I had a lot of fun.

Last updated: 2011-01-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:51 | 1640 yards | 02m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/282
Overall: 0/3326
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Swim toward the Field Museum about 375m, then 1125m north to the Yacht Club.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:22
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:25:47 | 24.85 miles | 17.38 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Headwind
Course: Two loop course on LSD.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:46
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:54:47 | 06.21 miles | 08m 49s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Lakefront path around Museums and McCormick to 31st and back to Buckingham Fountain.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-09-11 10:55 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago
Subject: Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed