Chasing 3 Sports
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 31m 53s
Overall Rank = 131/319
Age Group = Clyde
Age Group Rank = 6/18
Pre-race routine:

Woke up5am and got the wife up. Both of us were doing this one. She is not a morning person I think it is kinda funny. I ate my granola and protein powder with milk (sludge), had a couple of cups decaf coffee and drove tot he race. Got transition set up and met a first time clyde who was visibly nervous. Told him not to worry and have fun. Seeing that made me feel better about the race. The day before I was not psyched about it, but that made me realize it was just for fun. I had been really sick with a chest cold and missed 7 days of "peak" training prior to my taper. I was worried I had lost a lot of what I had worked so hard to gain this season for this race which was my "A" race.
Event warmup:

No real warm-up. I changed my swim time at the last minute (seeded, swim start) to 9 min from 10 min. Now the pressure to perform was on. Standing in line waiting for my turn I could feel the adrenaline kick in and I was getting pumped.
Swim
  • 08m 31s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

Glad I changed my time. I caught the 1st person within 1 length and probably passed 6-7 people. Had a PB swim time and I think I have made somewhat of a breakthrough. I realized event he fast sprint tri swimmers have bad form, what separates them and me is their "swim endurance". I think i have been just swimming too slow. Even in this race I have yet to finish a swim an be out of breath or tired like I am when I am done with the run or bike.
What would you do differently?:

In these seeded starts it's important to get your swim time just right. If you guess slower than you're capable of you will be waiting making you even slower. I bet I could have swam this in 8:00 which isn't that fast but considering it took me 14 min to swim 500yds in my first race this year I am happy with the progression.
Transition 1
  • 02m 48s
Comments:

WTF, is what I was saying to myself during T1, I couldn't believe it was taking this long. Our area was crowded and I was trying to be mindful of other bikes, but really was a poor effort. I guess I need some practice here.

Try sock-less on the bike?
Bike
  • 49m
  • 15.53 miles
  • 19.02 mile/hr
Comments:

Had a great bike. My heart rate monitor was not working and I forgot to start my watch so I was going all on feel. I was passed by 1 person and passed many. I didn't blow up or take too slow of a pace, I thought it was a perfect bike split for me.

Tri-bike?
Transition 2
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

Better but could be faster. Left shoes on bike, I don't know if it saved me anything?

Practice
Run
  • 29m 46s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran the whole thing which I believe is a testament to the training I have put in. The hill out of transition is brutal, I ran slow but didn't quit. My overall pace is what I normally run in training so I think some track workouts will help. Good finish to a good race. Only 1 aid station which was okay but I didn't anticipate.

Track workouts, something to help increase my pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked stretched, packed up and went back to finish to cheer my wife on.

Had 3 Oreos, Gatorade and some ice cream.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim sprint training, and run training, the only bike who passed me was a tri bike so obviously I need one of those too.

Event comments:

Course Volunteers were Military, ROTC, JROTC and Police. They were all great and I tried to thank all of them, so if I missed anyone, THANKS!

They were all great and did an excellent job of traffic control. Some of the kids said thank you to the participants, maybe there is some hope for our youth.

Last updated: 2011-04-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:31 | 400 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/18
Overall: 173/319
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Indoor Pool Serpentine Swim. 25 yds, down and back in each lane.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:48
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:49:00 | 15.53 miles | 19.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/18
Overall: 93/319
Wind: Little
Course: Hilly out and back, 2 short climbs
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:48
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:46 | 03.11 miles | 09m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/18
Overall: 190/319
Course: Hill out of transition to highest elevation on the course in actually a cat5 climb, then downhill on a sandy road, back to pavement flat with a slight uphill to finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-09-12 8:29 AM

User image

Regular
Los Alamos
Subject: Patriot Triathlon

2011-09-12 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3682002

User image

Master
Albuquerque
Subject: RE: Patriot Triathlon
nicely done! 
2011-09-12 4:26 PM
in reply to: #3682002

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Subject: RE: Patriot Triathlon
Excellent!
Way to step up on the swim!

the only bike who passed me was a tri bike so obviously I need one of those too.

Classic!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot Triathlon Rss Feed