General Discussion Race Reports! » Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Canandaigua, New York
United States
Mary M Gooley Hemophilia Center
73F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 23m 45s
Overall Rank = 33/596
Age Group = 44 - 49
Age Group Rank = 6/40
Pre-race routine:

Drove up from T'burg, got body marked, set up tansition and hung out with family
Event warmup:

Sat on rocks and shivered for an hour. The early morning was only 50 edegrees
Swim
  • 14m 59s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m / 100 meters
Comments:

Mixture of swimming and some wading which kept me near the front of the wave for once. Swimming was faster but I kept getting knocked by the bouncing waders, so it was sometimes safer to do the same.
Water was warmer than I expected and actually very pleasant.
Very long run from swim exit to T1 so actual swim time was probably 1 - 2 min faster than official time.

What would you do differently?:

Not much
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

Long run from swim entrance mat to actual T1 area also! Not sure why they had you run out and back.
Bike
  • 39m 33s
  • 13.65 miles
  • 20.71 mile/hr
Comments:

I like my new P2! First race on it and I was trading places with a couple of dork-helmets - Yay! Got by them for good on the big, curving downhill, which was a really fun bit of road (but of course they found me again pretty swiftly on the run). A constant stream of traffic to pass - other Gs and AGs and Olys - much of it very easy on the eye - so it went by in a flash.
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Got my feet out very early because I rode in in a quiet spot and couldn't work out where the dismount line was. Again, a long run out and back around transition before hitting the exit timing mat, so apparently this was actually a good T2 time (2nd in AG).
Run
  • 25m 14s
  • 3.19 miles
  • 07m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

First mile hurt a bit because I had been having way too much fun on the bike. The course was flat, the sun came out, it was a comfortable 75 degrees, there were supporters cheering you on all along the route, there was a constant stream of people to run with or past to keep you busy, and there wasn't far to go. I was actually running with a smile on my face, and generally I dislike running.
Post race
Warm down:

Stand and pant and feel happy that for once I'm nearer the front of the pack than the back.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My parents.

Event comments:

For me this was a warm up for next w/e Syracuse 70.3. I really enjoyed it, perfect weather, great volunteers and a really easy course made it a perfect practice and confidence booster. The family came out to support the old man, and it was great to see them cheering me on so many times during the race. Once I get this silly HIM/IM thing behind me at Mt Tremblant next August I think I might stick to sprints. The training is manageable with family and work committments and the races are actually enjoyable!

Last updated: 2011-06-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:59 | 750 meters | 02m / 100meters
Age Group: 8/40
Overall: 60/596
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy full
Course: elongated rectangle in shallow water. You could walk about 75% of it if you wanted to.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:30
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:33 | 13.65 miles | 20.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/40
Overall: 21/596
At least that what map-my-ride reckons. Score-This had my bike pace at 19.1 mph which would have made the bike course only 12 miles long! IMHO, though they do a great job organizing, and the actual times are flawless, Score-This are rarely accurate with the distances and splits.
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:14 | 03.19 miles | 07m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/40
Overall: 0/596
Score-This guy said this was now a 3.19 mile route as they had moved transition from last year (so why did they use 3.1 for the split calcs??)
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-09-12 8:36 AM

User image

Subject: Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2011-09-12 8:45 AM
in reply to: #3682007

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Distance

Congrats on a great race!

ETA: You were one spot ahead of me in AG!

Edited by kenj 2011-09-12 9:13 AM
2011-09-13 7:05 PM
in reply to: #3682007

User image

Master
Canandaigua

Nice job Cap.  That hill is fun.  6 in AG and 33 overall.  That is a crowded AG. 

Whats a dork helmet?

2011-09-13 8:01 PM
in reply to: #3685106

User image

Dork helmet? I guess its a gentle tease. I think the term was actually first coined by my kids - the fashion police for us MAMILs (middle aged men in lycra). So... this tri stuff is all great fun but I'm no real athlete and there are some places I will not go - these include shaving my legs,  drinking less beer and wearing a long pointy helmet that makes me look (more) like a dork. I completely understand that its a personal choice, but for me, if you are an elite athlete then an aero helmet makes sense - if you're not then I'm sorry, but its a little bit dorky.

(Having said that, I have a 'stealth' dork helmet - one of the Specialized helmets that is supposed to be aero but looks like a regular bike helmet - so who am I to judge.)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed