General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMWI Accommodations 2012 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-12 9:10 AM

User image

Phoenixville, Pa
Subject: IMWI Accommodations 2012
Hi...

I'm hoping to do IMWI 2012 and was wondering if anyone has opinions on the best hotel to stay at...looks like the Host hotel is already sold out?!

Thanks! Kim

2011-09-12 9:23 AM
in reply to: #3682070

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: IMWI Accommodations 2012
I have always stayed at the Madison Concourse on the other side of the capital square.  Not cheap but convenient.  You aren't missing out on anything by not staying at the host hotel...that is if its still the Hilton...not a good value for the ridiculous price imho
2011-09-12 3:56 PM
in reply to: #3682088

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
I'm curious about RV parks too.  I'll probably just drive the motor home up for next year, but I want to lock in a spot early.  
2011-09-12 4:12 PM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
We stayed this year at the Best Western Inn on the Park.  It was an ok hotel, but the location was great.  It wasn't as much as the concourse, but it was still pricey.

The hotels in the area are blocked off until about the first of the year for booking through IM.  We waited until after the first and had no trouble getting a room.
2011-09-12 4:37 PM
in reply to: #3683083

User image

Expert

I am now in phase two of explaining this journey financially to my wife-haha.  Phase one was getting her to agree with paying $625 for a race.  Then I was in shock when people in line today were talking about booking their hotels today and the prices with the minimum stays.  I am thinking the RV park is looking good. 

I stayed at the Days Inn last night and was about 15 minutes away and that wasn't that bad.  I wonder if all the hotels in the area are blocked or just the ones IM lists in their accomodations sheet/web page?  Most sites won't even let you book that far out in advance so I guess I will find out in a  few weeks.

brown_dog_us - 2011-09-12 4:12 PM We stayed this year at the Best Western Inn on the Park.  It was an ok hotel, but the location was great.  It wasn't as much as the concourse, but it was still pricey.

The hotels in the area are blocked off until about the first of the year for booking through IM.  We waited until after the first and had no trouble getting a room.

2011-09-12 6:48 PM

User image

Expert
Wow, it looks like all the places close the race site are 100% sold out for the race weekend - does that make sense?  really?  I think I'm going to call a few of the places to see if they are just sold out online.  I would like to be able to shower eat and go back to the finish line to watch the last hour or so, and I know I won't do that if I have to drive 10 miles back to the race site...

2011-09-13 11:17 PM

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids, MI

I just got back from Madison yesterday.  I volunteered and signed up for 2012.  I was one of the first 50 to 100 people in line to sign up that morning.  We started registering at probably around 8am.  After registering, you can go straight to booking a hotel as soon as the option opened at 9am.  They have a bunch of computers there for the registrants to book their rooms.  The Hilton was booked full while I was still in line.  So yeah, they fill up fast.  A couple points to make:

-All booking for the first few days is handled by http://www.visitmadison.com/
 We tried to book at some hotels directly and they would not let us, explaining that all booking is initially handled at the above site.

-Depending on your experience, anxiety levels, and other variables, you might really want to get a room that is near the capital and therefore very close to the race.  Otherwise you have option that are further away, but not too far.  I hear they fill up as well, so you don't want to take too long to book your rooms.

I'd be willing to bet that I would be happy at any of the hotels down around the capitol and I would only imagine that most people would feel the same as long as they aren't picky.  I expect a room that is clean with amenities that work and are kept up, an adequate staff available to provide typical needs, a shuttle service for athletes (if further away), and within a hotel that is in a safe area.  Madison is beautiful and the city was very well kept.  My wife and I stayed at the Best Western Inntower at the Highland club (long name huh?) and it was fine.  Warm breakfast, shuttles, and athlete friendly.  It was located about 11 minutes away.  My wife and I checked out the Hilton and Best Western down on the square for 2012 (I don't want to stress about getting a ride on race day).  The Best Western seemed to do the job and we booked our rooms there for the 4 night minimum.  The Hilton was the other place we checked, they were pet friendly and it looked very nice.  As mentioned previously, it was booked full. 

I doubt that any places that are booked full online are saving any rooms that will be available when you call.  However, I am sure some athletes did double book rooms and some of those rooms will open up when they go to cancel.  I hope that helps some people.  I learned a lot visiting this year.  If what I know can help anyone please ask.

2011-09-14 8:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Skokie, IL
My understanding is that rooms for the downtown hotels do free up over the year. I am not sure if hotels have a wait list or you just need to keep calling.
We stayed at the Park Hyatt and my family loved it, even though the pool is very small, room was very large for a downtown hotel, (2 queens and a pull out) and the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. It is .5 miles from the terrace, which was just far enough to get away from the zoo down there, but close enough to be there with a 10 minute walk.
2011-09-14 10:32 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Yes everyone relax about the hotels being listed as "sold out" for next year's race weekend.

What they do is block off all of their rooms during the period that Ironman Housing is taking reservations. My guess is it's some sort of contract they have with the City or Visitor's Beareu or something.

After that time is over (no idea when that is but I would bet a few months at the most), the rooms they did not book will magically appear available. So just keep checking - I did this race in 2010 and booked my room in December, and my family booked hotel rooms in August with no issues.

I stayed at the Staybridge Suites Madison East as I wanted a full kitchen (and stayed at the Residence Inn in Middleton during a practice weekend; also full kitchen - LOVE this area and would stay there if I were racing again!) - both were about a 10-minute drive from the race site, affordable, and lovely. The Staybridge has 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom suites with pull out couch and full kitchen - super affordable especially if you split with another athlete.

Edited by lisac957 2011-09-14 10:33 AM
2011-09-14 7:18 PM
in reply to: #3685966

User image

Expert
lisac957 - 2011-09-14 11:32 AM

Yes everyone relax about the hotels being listed as "sold out" for next year's race weekend.

What they do is block off all of their rooms during the period that Ironman Housing is taking reservations. My guess is it's some sort of contract they have with the City or Visitor's Beareu or something.

After that time is over (no idea when that is but I would bet a few months at the most), the rooms they did not book will magically appear available. So just keep checking - I did this race in 2010 and booked my room in December, and my family booked hotel rooms in August with no issues.

I stayed at the Staybridge Suites Madison East as I wanted a full kitchen (and stayed at the Residence Inn in Middleton during a practice weekend; also full kitchen - LOVE this area and would stay there if I were racing again!) - both were about a 10-minute drive from the race site, affordable, and lovely. The Staybridge has 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom suites with pull out couch and full kitchen - super affordable especially if you split with another athlete.

Between Staybridge and Residence inn, which would you recommend.  I think this is the way I am going to go as well.

2011-09-14 8:54 PM

User image

Expert
Im with Birkie on the Concourse.  Ive stayed there every year I do the race.  Its close enough to walk to the Terrace and nice to be able to get away from all the Ironman hubbub and relax.

2011-09-15 9:43 AM
in reply to: #3683083

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

brown_dog_us - 2011-09-12 4:12 PM We stayed this year at the Best Western Inn on the Park.  It was an ok hotel, but the location was great.  It wasn't as much as the concourse, but it was still pricey.

We stayed at the Inn on the Park too. It was OK. Not great, but a fantastic location.

2011-09-15 11:31 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I called Lake Kegonsa State Park.  It looks like the closest RV park to the start/finish (10 miles away).

They only take reservations out 11 months so I'll call them back next month.  at $17 per night we might even make a vacation of it and stay up there the whole week leading up to the race.  Love RVing.  

2011-09-15 12:03 PM
in reply to: #3687036

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Daffodil - 2011-09-14 7:18 PM
lisac957 - 2011-09-14 11:32 AM

Between Staybridge and Residence inn, which would you recommend.  I think this is the way I am going to go as well.

I thought the area around the Residence Inn was much nicer - basically right behind a pretty nice outdoor shopping mall called Greenway Station. - a PF Changs is just across the street too. There was an office park area adjacent to the hotel with a few miles of paved running path as well.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMWI Accommodations 2012 Rss Feed