70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 59m 52s
Overall Rank = 10/164
Age Group = 35-39m
Age Group Rank = 2/17
Pre-race routine:

Shower, bagel, pb, banana coffee, gatorade water
Rode to race w/Shawn & Tim. Didn't have a real good night's sleep the night before.
Event warmup:

Ran about 100 yards. Swam a bit. Stood around waiting for fog to lift, so race could start. Start was delayed about 40 minutes. Air was chilly, so I was glad for the delayed start. I knew this would make the beginning of the bike warmer.
Took a gel 15 minutes before race was supposed to start.
Swim
  • 29m 15s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

First 200 hundred yards had more bumping and pushing and jostling for position than I'd ever seen. I knew I had to relax after fighting through that. I settled down and flew through the down stream section, rounded the 2nd bouy perfectly. Turned the 3rd bouy and headed upriver. The upriver section was slow, but I slogged through it and made it to the exit.
What would you do differently?:

Not much.
Transition 1
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

Several slip ups here. Dropped my swim cap coming into T1. Turned around and picked them up. Then dropped my goggles. Turned around and picked them up.
Really struggled getting my helmet on. Something was not right with the straps. Cost me 45 seconds at least. Finally said f it and took off.

Everything.
Bike
  • 2h 47m 58s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Tough ride. I knew it was going to be hilly, but.....I had no idea.
First section was 5 mile out, 5 mile back with headwind, then tailwind. My plan was just to ride comforatably hard, so as to have something left on the run. Pacing was really difficult with all the ups and downs. O the out and back section I was able to count how many people were in front of me. There were about 10, so I thought a top 10 finish was a good possibility. I developed a splitting about mile 13(could have been from my helmet straps) and struggled with it the rest of the bike.
Drank 2 bottles of water, 2 bottles of gatorade and took 3 gels and 4 endurolytes on the ride. I began to fatigue near the end. There were several climbs where I was probably going 5 mph. I was really looking foward to getting off the bike!
This was really a beautiful bike course with nice scenery.
I was happy with my time overall.

Don't really know.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

Weird entering t2 as you had to ride past the exit all the way around transition the to entrance.
Decided to wear socks on the run, so putting them on cost me a little time.

Nothing.
Run
  • 1h 39m 49s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

I came out of t1 feeling awesome. I was so glad to be off the bike and running, however, this feeling would quickly fade. I was hoping to avg 7 min/mile. I clipped off the first mile in aout 6:30, then the 2nd and 3rd in a bout the same. I passed several people doing the 70.3 and many who were doing the shorter races. Then, about mile 4 the first sign of cramping started. Heart rate began to rise. I just had to hold the cramps off and hold on. I began drinking two water at every aid station and taking gel form the flask in my back jersey pocket evry 10-15 minutes...I'm so sick of gels right now. I took 6 endurolytes. I never had a severe cramp that stopped me in my tracks, but just smaller irritating ones from mile 4-7 and 10 -13. They were just enough to slow my pace from what I wanted it to be. When I got to mile 10, I gave up on breaking 5 hours. I just didn't want to get passed by anyone, especially from my AG. However, the last few miles must have been measure short, because once I could see the mile 13 sign, I knew I had about 2 minutes to break 5hrs. I actually passed a guy in my ag in the last 1/2 mile. I struggle to the finsh and beat 5hrs by 8 seconds. Dissappointing 1:39 on the run but it could have been much worse.

Bike fitness.
Post race
Warm down:

Tried to get a massage, but I was cramping too bad. The therapist told me to ice it down and come back later.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bike fitness.

Last updated: 2011-09-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:15 | 2112 yards | 01m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/17
Overall: 0/164
Performance: Good
Suit: yes
Course: Rectangle. Swam across river a couple hundred yards, then down stream a few hundred, back across, then upstream a few hundred back to the exit.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:57
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:47:58 | 56 miles | 20.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/17
Overall: 0/164
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: HILLY
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:39:49 | 13.1 miles | 07m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/17
Overall: 6/164
Performance: Below average
Course: Road/trail
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-09-12 9:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olive Branch, MS
Subject: Nashvegas Half-Distance Triathlon

2011-09-12 9:50 AM
in reply to: #3682100

User image

Veteran
Mississippi
Subject: RE: Nashvegas Half-Distance Triathlon

Nice work!  You probably passed me during the out and back portion on the ride. 

The run was .2-.3 miles long-so you ran better than you thought you did (which was still a great run given the bike ride!).

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nashvegas Half-Distance Triathlon Rss Feed