Firm Racing
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 52m 3s
Overall Rank = 16/303
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/16
Pre-race routine:

For first time ever, stayed only 3 mins from transition. Nice to get extra time in bed (purposely didn't say sleep b/c who sleeps well night before a big race.

Woke up, ate, packed up car and headed to transition

Body marking, transition set-up, listened to music.
Event warmup:

~1 mile walk along beach to swim start.
Swim
  • 36m 40s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

Large waves/swells (race organizer said ocean was rougher than it had been in previous 20 yrs of the race) made it really difficult to get out to first buoy and to sight effectively. Got sick twice from ingesting salt water, but kept going. The size of the waves/swells, inability to sight effectively, and first ocean swim prevented me from ever getting into a rhythm. Nonetheless, still had decent time, primarily b/c swim is assisted by current.

What would you do differently?:

Practice open water swimming in the ocean.
Transition 1
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

A little long for me, but being a longer distance, was not as frantic/pressed as I am in shorter distances.
Bike
  • 2h 40m 44s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.90 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt strong on bike but didn't push too hard. Was concerned about saving my legs for the run b/c the last half I did, I cramped up 2x on the run and did not want to have a recurrence.

Nobody passed me on the bike, with the exception of 2 guys in the first half of the bike who I eventually took back over within a few miles.

Push a little harder on the bike. Avg ~21mph, and on this course really should have been around 23mph.
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

Missed bike rack and had to turn around and go back to find it. Also, used the port-o-lets in the transition area. Other than that, pretty decent.

Not miss bike rack or take time to use port-o-lets (at least I was well hydrated)
Run
  • 1h 31m 9s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Had a great run. Holding back on bike a bit definitely allowed me to push pretty hard. Nobody passed me on the run either. Very please with my performance.

Nothing
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of ocean swimming experience. Not trusting myself to push harder on the bike.

Event comments:

Really enjoyed this race, set PR and was able to break 5 hrs. If schedule allows, will be back next year.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-07-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:40 | 2112 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 138/303
Performance: Below average
Suit: Xterra Vortex 3
Course: Rectangular course. 200yd swim off shore, followed by ~1mi swim parallel to coast, then 100-150 yds back in to shore. Current generally moves in direction of swim
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:45
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:40:44 | 56 miles | 20.90 mile/hr
Overall: 31/303
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: Out and back along minor highway with wide shoulders. On the way out, course takes a loop through some more hillier terrain with rollers. All in all, a relatively flat course. There is generally a head wind going out and a tailwind coming back. Winds were reversed this year and had a headwind coming back. Somewhere around mile 45-50, there was a 1-2 mile stretch of rode that had been diamond grinded in preparation for paving. Difficult time on the nether regions and slowed pace down a bit but managed to get through without any issues/flats. Rest of course had smooth roads.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:31:09 | 13.1 miles | 06m 58s  min/mile
Overall: 12/303
Performance: Good
Course: Generally flat to rolling course with a 2 out and backs built in; 1 through a residential area, and another along a marshland. Overabundance of aid stations was awesome. Course ends with about a 3/4 mile run along beach to finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes