General Discussion Race Reports! » Triathlon at Pacific Grove - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Triathlon at Pacific Grove - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pacific Grove, California
United States
Tri-California Events
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 51m 19s
Overall Rank = 168/597
Age Group = F45-49
Age Group Rank = 4/30
Pre-race routine:

Drove down to the beach the night before....racing with Hubby and 15 y/o son Zach. Brought down one of his buddies, and met another. 2 @15, 1 @ 16, all doing their first oly distance. Lots of smack talk - fatty would be proud!! Enjoyed the standard pre-race sushi, kept the sake intake low. I small motel room with 2 adults and 2 teen boys, 4 bikes and lots of energy!! Good thing it wasn't an 'A' race!!

Brought the toaster, and the boys went through an entire box of Eggos with nutella, as Jeff and I watched in awe. I had my usual pepsi, but I'm moving on from the poptart to a powerbar. We were right across the street from T1, so we rolled on out at 6:25. Boys were in the first wave at 7:30, Jeff at 8:15, and I ran with the last group-old ladies-at 9:30.

Helped the boys set up their areas, since their parents couldn't be in the transition. All 3 of them really could have done it by themselves, they were on top of it. Racked among all of the college kids, they looked YOUNG!! Body markers must have confirmed their ages 3 or 4 times. Nobody double-checked ME!!
Event warmup:

We walked down to the beach with the boys. Nice 9/11 ceremony prior to the start, but it was COLD and WINDY. They announced that Zach was the youngest competitor in the entire event! Boys lined up with the 29/under men, and the collegiate racers....and they were off! 45 minutes, so was Jeff, and they announced that the 'Father of the youngest competitor was in the water'!! an hour and 15 minutes later, they announced that his mother was heading in for the swim.....cracked us all up. We're famous!
Swim
  • 33m 43s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

Back to Zach, he hasn't swam in a year, so we were a tad bit worried. No need. 28 minute swim - and not breathing hard. Jeez.

I was happy with my swim - no panic, steady pace, passed quite a few people from prior waves. The kelp krawl was a bad as I'd heard, truly a very different experience. Glad to be done!!

Got the top half of my wetsuit off faster than ever before, still need to work on those ankles! Long run up the ramp to T1, with totally numb feet - bet it was funny to watch!!
What would you do differently?:

I could have pushed it a bit harder, but not much.
Transition 1
  • 03m 34s
Comments:

Long run in, but felt like a GREAT T1 overall. No gloves, and I beat Jeff's time!

something with the ankles, don't know what!
Bike
  • 1h 19m 6s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.85 mile/hr
Comments:

Starting out was flippin' COLD. Numb feet, and everything else was FREEZING. Felt like I had a flat - legs couldn't slog!!

Got past it pretty quickly. Didn't get passed by ANYONE, which is great on a 4 loop course!! Did lots of passing...on your left is ingrained into my brain! Started drinking SE on the 2d loop. First loop took 22 minutes, next 3 were under 19. REALLY wish I'd checked out the course before, knowledge may have helped me with that first lap. Not sure how, but my Garmin read 25.51 miles, but my time matched exactly - I must have spent way to much time off the tangent, looping around too far to pass, etc. Bummer - really thought I had hit over 19 mph this time. Well, I guess I did - just raced too far!! LOL.

Tight turnarounds at each end, I slowed way down for those. Probably should practice the u-turn thing! The announced my name at the start end each time - mom of the youngest......!!

Remembered to move my GU and meds over to my jersey while still on my bike, nice.

Overall, a good ride!

Work on the turns, know the course, push it a bit harder.
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

YES. Good T2, even moving the Garmin over.

Nuthin'
Run
  • 53m 12s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt pretty good starting out. Was a couple of minutes behind my secret goal, but ahead of my public goal!! Really wanted to know what the guys had done. I'd seen everyone swim, and all the T1s, and watch the teens do the first half of their bikes. I knew at that point they were all safe and happy, but I was in the dark after that.

Decided to not crush the first 2-mile lap - try to hold a 8:45 pace for the first 2 miles, 8:30 for the second, and bring it home with a 8:15.

Saw Jeff and Zach at he 2 mile point - they told me ZACH WON!! WooHoo! That picked up my step!! Then they told me he raced a 2:37. WHAT?!? I had to do 5 minute miles to beat him. Hmph. Wasn't happening. 99% proud beyond words, 1% annoyed. He hasn't swam in a YEAR. He's only been riding a MONTH. Jeez. Pride won....and I told everyone for the next 4 miles that I was the mom of the youngest.....!! ;-)

Caught 2 ladies with .5 miles to go....markers had worn off, but they looked to be my age....so I charged. 1 was in my group, beat her by 11 seconds!!

Family and friends at the finish, love it.

IT band, not so much!

I probably could have take a minute or two off of this....but eh, 3rd place was 6 minutes ahead of me.
Post race
Warm down:

Have a nice masssage, ate with the guys, watched the pros.

Went to Awards......

Jeff got 9th in his division (Which was STACKED, according to the announcer, top 3 in his AG were top 10 in the whole enchilada); I got 4th of 30 in mine (which bummed me out, I really thought I had 3d - ah, well. someday!) and Zach got FIRST!!!

Long shout-out from the announcer about this youngest competitor who 'torched the course' with 2:37: including a 28 minute swim, a 1:17 bike and a 45 minute 10k. Really a proud moment. His buddies were 2d behind him, and 3d in the next division. One got his first penalty!

It was a great day, lots of fun. Not too many families get to share this kind of thing with their teens, and we know we're blessed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

AGE.

Last updated: 2011-07-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:43 | 1640 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/30
Overall: 0/597
Performance: Good
Suit: full orca
Course: 2 laps in the KELP!! Well known as the kelp krawl, this had me worried. It was gross, but I handled it fairly well.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 57F / 14C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:34
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:19:06 | 24.85 miles | 18.85 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/30
Overall: 156/597
Wind: Some
Course: Gorgeous! rollers along the coast of 17-mile drive.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:53:12 | 06.21 miles | 08m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/30
Overall: 220/597
Course: rollery. Sun for the whole run, which the guys didn't have to deal with. Pretty, though! All along the coast, could watch the otters play!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-09-12 11:53 AM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
Subject: Triathlon at Pacific Grove - Olympic Distance

2011-09-12 12:07 PM
in reply to: #3682402

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: Triathlon at Pacific Grove - Olympic Distance

good job with the smack talk!!!

awesome day all around!!!  huge congrats!!!!!!!

2011-09-12 12:30 PM

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Heck yeah, great race! That kelp krawl sounds nazty, that stuff is creepy like a slow, heavy monster around your legs. Congrats to you and your family on an awesome day all around.
2011-09-12 12:30 PM

User image

Elite
Oliver, BC, "Wine Capital of Canada"
Awesome family moment. I've raced with my Daughter so I know how the feeling is. Congrats to your Son.
2011-09-12 2:25 PM

User image

Master
You are the most awesomest all around!!! Bestest mom of the youngest, fabulousest wife of the father of the youngest, and just super-duperest athlete woman!! Yay for you! Awesome race and congratulations to everyone!!
2011-09-12 4:29 PM

User image

Master
Sin City
Great family day!! WTG Zach!! :-

2011-09-12 4:46 PM

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA

Glad you survived the kelp!

I tried looking for you, but I guess it was just too crowded. Also, I was sorta dazed.

Congrats to you and your family for all your amazing performances!

Great race report, too.

2011-09-12 6:15 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Wow!!  Great family event - congrats to all of you.
2011-09-13 7:57 AM
in reply to: #3682851

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

kkcbelle - 2011-09-12 12:25 PM You are the most awesomest all around!!! Bestest mom of the youngest, fabulousest wife of the father of the youngest, and just super-duperest athlete woman!! Yay for you! Awesome race and congratulations to everyone!!

Kyla, you say the absolutelyest nicest things ever.  wow!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triathlon at Pacific Grove - Olympic Distance Rss Feed