General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Panic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-12 12:44 PM

New user
Connecticut Shore
Subject: Swim Panic

Finished my second tri over the weekend.  All in all I had a great time. My over all time in all phases improved drastically, except one.  The swim.  I finished in 1 hour 32 min and small change.

Conditions were perfect.....  smooth as glass. 1/2 way to the first buoy I had a panic attack.  My arms and legs became heavy, I could barely tread water.  I looked back at shore and thought about turning around. I keep going toward the buoy waiting for the panic to pass and my body to just start swimming.  For 1/2 the swim I felt like I was at 45 degrees in the water.  I was pushing down with my hands to keep my head up.  I almost put my hand up.

I said to myself over and over, "One more stroke, and then quit".  The womens in the wave behind me caught up.  A couple swimmers brushed by me, at least I was on track.  Finally I found one that I could hang with, and the panic eased.  I started swimming for real.

Then my goggles fogged up like a frosted beer mug.  Zero visibility.  I had swim blind for a while.  I stopped and lifted my goggles to spot a buoy.  I am basically blind with out glasses or script goggles.  I see a buoy, thank goodness they are huge.  I swim to it thinking the shore was just beyond.  Nope.  It was an interim buoy to help on the final leg.  I still had a lot more swim to go while being blind.  I would have been better off swimming with my goggles off because I could at least see something when I spotted.

I made it to shore.   I was elated.  I got out, stood up and ran, (slowly) to the transition.  I was out of the water with solid legs under me.  No puking, no seasickness!!!! 

I finished strong.

I don't train in the ocean.  This must changed.  I am going to have to figure that out before I do that again.

Last year- Pool time 1/2 mile 16:30.  OWS 20:22

This year- Pool time 1/2 mile 15:39.  OWS 24:20  Yikes

Next year- Get a wet suit and train in the OW.

Lastly- Does everyone get frosted beer mug goggles?  That sucked.  Is the only solution to that putting water in the cups?  Does anyone swim without goggles in saltwater?

2011-09-12 1:10 PM
in reply to: #3682556

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Swim Panic

Congrats on finishing your second tri!!! Great job!!! I just want to tell you that you are not alone in the panic thing. I'm in my 4th year of tri's and I get this almost every single race. Mine happens in the first couple of minutes. I have to backstroke or something else- then it passes and I can have a great swim. I'm thinking a visit to a sports shrink is my future.

Just keep at it. That's all you can do. Positive thoughts. Breathe.. count strokes.. swim buoy to buoy..Pray. LOL!! Good luck to you!!

2011-09-12 1:13 PM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

"Lastly- Does everyone get frosted beer mug goggles?  That sucked.  Is the only solution to that putting water in the cups?  Does anyone swim without goggles in saltwater?"

Now I almost always race in salt water without goggles. I learned that from a much better athlete and waterman than I, and it was a good lesson.

2011-09-12 1:15 PM

New user
Connecticut Shore

No goggles, saltwater.  It should work.

I practice that when I get my wet suit.

2011-09-12 1:17 PM
in reply to: #3682644

New user
Connecticut Shore
Tom Demerly. - 2011-09-12 1:13 PM

"Lastly- Does everyone get frosted beer mug goggles?  That sucked.  Is the only solution to that putting water in the cups?  Does anyone swim without goggles in saltwater?"

Now I almost always race in salt water without goggles. I learned that from a much better athlete and waterman than I, and it was a good lesson.

But do you train lions without a chair or a whip?

Stay thirsty my friend.

2011-09-12 1:21 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Very common problem on the swim.  Just remember to breath out fully and it helps a lot.  Kind of like breathing into a bag when you hyperventilate.

As for the goggles, just spit in them and rub it around until they're squeeky clean.  Then rinse them off real quick and put them on.  No fog the whole race.  If they do start to fog for some reason just take them off & spit/rinse again and you'll be fine.

2011-09-12 1:30 PM
in reply to: #3682666

New user
Connecticut Shore
tuwood - 2011-09-12 1:21 PM

Very common problem on the swim.  Just remember to breath out fully and it helps a lot.  Kind of like breathing into a bag when you hyperventilate.

As for the goggles, just spit in them and rub it around until they're squeeky clean.  Then rinse them off real quick and put them on.  No fog the whole race.  If they do start to fog for some reason just take them off & spit/rinse again and you'll be fine.

Nothing new on race day right? 

When I train in the pool, I sit on the edge with my legs in for a bit, while I "SPIT IN MY GOGGLES AND SWISH THEM AROUND A BIT".

Did I do anything like that on race day?  Uhhhhhh.... not going to answer that.

Still might experiment goggle free, though.

2011-09-12 4:48 PM

I finally realized that my goggles were fogging for one reason.  I would practice swim, take them off while waiting for the race to start and then they would fog after that.  Now, I treat them with something called Cat Crap (yes, it is really called that, found it at EMS), and don't put my goggles in the water until it is my turn to swim.  I don't take them off until I am out of the water.  That seems to have solved my problem.  If I get them wet and take them off they will fog and I will be swimming with limited visibility, which makes for one long a$$ and unpleasant swim. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Panic Rss Feed