REVOLUTION3 Triathlon
77F / 25C
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 22m 32s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/12
Pre-race routine:

Had the bike totally ready to go the night before when I checked it in. Decided to be calm and not obsess over everything that morning and just let it be. I did not go to transition that morning, opting to relax, sleep in, and just walk on to the beach and start. My gamble paid off, my bike was ready to go, in perfect shape, and I got to relax that morning. Ate a Clif bar, go my wetsuit on, and walked onto the beach.
Event warmup:

Stretched in my room and a little out on the beach. Didn't get in the water, just did a little warmup on the beach. I didn't want to start out the race cold and wet.
Swim
  • 1h 14m 56s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

The water was DIRTY by the beach. The hurricane that came up the East Coast stirred up all kinds of whitecaps Thurs-Friday, and mud Saturday. Props to the race people for trying to bulldoze as much mud as they could out of the start area for race day. It was still dirty, but cleared up as you went out. The lake is very shallow for about 100 yards, and even the pros were having a tough time deciding weather to dolphin dive or swim. I ran out a ways, dolphin dove a few times, and they got into a rhythm. My husband said a lot of people went off to the left to try and avoid the mud, but I went straight and had a very easy start. Didn't get punched or kicked at all!! I warmed up and really enjoyed my swim. As I rounded the end of the triangle I saw a bunch of people standing. Turned out it was athletes walking around the buoy. There wasn't a timing pad to mark our split which I thought was odd. The second lap was even better. Nice and easy. There weren't a whole lot of people doing the full so I never really got to draft off anyone.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, I was pretty happy with the swim.
Transition 1
  • 04m 48s
Comments:

The wetsuit strippers were awesome. I've never done a race with them, and it was perfect. One guy holding my arm and two pulling off the suit. I sat down, the suit was off, and the guy holding my arm stood me right up, they threw my wetuit in my arms, and off I went. Grabbed my bag, and the volunteer in the tent was wonderful. She laid everything out, stuffed my swim stuff in my transition bag, and while I changed into bike shorts asked me if I needed stuff. When I was done she stuffed it back in the bag. My transition was 10 min faster than Louisville. I'm still not sure what I was doing for 15 min in that T1 though... They didn't have people applying sunscreen for us, which sucked. I saw a bottle, got a huge glob, and applied while I ran out to my bike. Needless to say I was totally white from then on because it was SPF 70 and I was covered. But not burnt!

Went great.
Bike
  • 6h 08m 46s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.22 mile/hr
Comments:

I had done the course preview and thought it was hillier than I was told, and also windier. Today it wasn't either. They had to change the course because some bridge wasn't done, and we ended up with more chip and seal. That sucked. The aid stations were well run and well stocked. I always had plenty of water and Gatorade. My goal was to average 18 mph and to keep my HR under 150 as much as possible. I did both! I was expecting that going through Milan would be like LaGrange in Louisville. Not a thing like it. Pretty much a disappointment. I was alone most of the ride, again because there weren't all that many people doing the race. I did find 3 guys that were doing the course as a training ride for IM Florida and hung with them for a while. Overall the ride was fine, the road conditions weren't great, and the chip and seal sucked major ass. I was also surprised at how many cars were out on the road. A LOT more than Louisville. The cops were good, but I guess there was confusion at the turn for the full and half. I saw two riders coming back after I turned for the second lap and I guess that they didn't know to go straight. My family was at the turn as well and said the cop misguided a pro and he had to turn around after he went straight instead of turning for lap 2. The roads the last 15 miles seemed crappy, I'm sure some of that was just my ass being sore, but the scenery was good along the lake and distracted me from my aches and pains. I didn't want to get off the bike for any reason, and had practiced "going" on my bike. So gross but effective. Also quite difficult. I really have to slow down and stop pedaling, but its faster than using the porta potty. I did have to get off the bike once because my shoe fell off, but thats a whole other story...

Not have lateral left foot pain and have to take my foot out of my boot and pedal it with my foot on top of the boot. Also not get my sock stuck on the velcro of my boot. Therefore, not lose my boot in the middle of the race...
Transition 2
  • 03m 42s
Comments:

Another AWESOME volunteer in the tent. Some other volunteer kept yelling at me to run back to my bike to put my helmet on it, and I don't know why. I turned and then realized I was not going to run back over there when I'm already halfway to the tent. I think she was confused... There were a few confused volunteers throughout the weekend. But the woman in the tent was fabulous. I got changed and right out. She asked if I needed sunscreen, but my shoulders and arms were somehow still white from T1.
Run
  • 4h 50m 20s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

So I started off feeling strong, and the course sucked. It was out and back twice, fine, but we went around these two little loops and then down and back 3 streets and ran back into the park while all the half cars were driving out right next to us. There weren't many people lining the course and it was obvious the residents of Sandusky could've cared less about the race. No one was outside, except for the woman mowing her lawn. Some of the volunteers directing us were sitting and looked over it. The aid stations weren't as organized as Louisville and were very short. I planned to walk the aid stations, but they weren't long enough to actually really stop and walk and then start again. They were well stocked except no sponges. It wasn't all that hot but I really just wanted something to wipe the salt from my face and shoulders. There was also no good music along the way. Some gospel coming from someones home and some bad rap at an aid station. No help whatsoever. Running back in the park was 2 miles next to cars leaving. Smelly, hot, windy, and very annoying. You literally run 50 yards from the finish and then turn to go back for lap 2. My husband said he couldn't drive out to go to town to cheer for us. So he stayed at the finish. I had a few tough points during the run, and it was slower than I wanted. I met some nice people though. I made myself take 6 gels and drink Gatorade even though every time I ate something, since the bike, I had terrible burps. And I really didn't want it. But you have to be smart and just eat. So I did. I perked up once I got out of the teens and ran the last 5k. Another girl at the finish told me she was trying to catch me but because I ran that last 3 she couldn't. I knew she was coming, but at that point I was just running for myself and no one else. I had convinced myself I was never going to reach my goal of less than 13 hours and my run was slower than Louisville, until I saw my husband by the finish. He told me I had to wait 13 minutes so I could hit my predicted time to win the Yakima bike rack. My predicted time was 12:33! I couldn't believe that I was ahead of it!! Got to carry an American flag to the finish and teared up. I am an Ironman again!!!

Train at a faster pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Chocolate milk and more chocolate milk. I just wanted to sit. The food SUCKED. I think it was pulled pork, potato salad, mixed fruit, and baked lays. I drank the milk we brought and took the chips for later. I ended up eating them around 2 AM. So glad my husband was able to get my bike and transition bags, and he told me they were all already in the hotel room. Sweet! He went and got the car and my mother and I went and got my special needs bike bag that had a tube in it I didn't need.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Went hard on the bike which did affect my run a little. The run course was very boring and tedious. Not exciting, didn't really motivate me.

Event comments:

If youre going to do 140.6 do an Ironman event. Rev does a fine job, but it doesn't compare. I've only done one of each, but I wouldn't do another 140.6 with anyone else. Ironman does it best. The city didn't care about the race. Cedar Point staff was okay. They did work their asses off to get the beach ready, which was really cool. Check in was a cluster. A pro in front of me in line didn't have any stickers, because the volunteer had given them to the pro in front of him in line. Whoops. I was given the wrong swim cap at first, as was my friend in line with me. Nothing was set up when the expo started. We were there at 12: 30 and it started at 12, but few were actually ready. I'm glad I did it, but will stick to IM from now on.

Last updated: 2011-09-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:14:56 | 4224 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/12
Overall: 9/
Performance: Good
Suit: Wetsuit
Course:
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average