Ironman North America
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 15h 12m 18s
Overall Rank = 1869/2700
Age Group = W35-39
Age Group Rank = 95/132
Pre-race routine:

Slept pretty well actually, which is unusual for me. Went to bed around 9pm and woke up before my alarm at 3:50am.

Ate 1 banana, 1 coffee yogurt, and choked down 3/4 bagel with PB & honey. Ate another 1/2 banana right before the swim. Sipped water w/NUUN prior to the race.
Event warmup:

Nothing much. I figure the walk from the hotel and the swim to my starting location were enough.
Swim
  • 1h 32m 40s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started in the back along the buoy line. It was a good location for me, allowing me to warm into things without too much contact. I really didn't feel much contact until the second lap. First lap went well; I felt like I drafted very well and stayed right along the buoy line as planned. Things fell apart a bit at the very start of the second lap. I felt really sea sick & dizzy (an remembered I wore a scopolamine patch in Racine, but my OWS practices had been going well so I forgot about that and didn't wear one today). In focusing on keeping my cool (and my stomach) I somehow swung out really wide by the second turn and spent a lot of time working my way back in. I also had a really hard time finding someone swimming my pace to draft. Seemed like every time I found someone, they'd start breast stroking. At least I made it through.
What would you do differently?:

I had a lot of anxiety all summer about completing this distance in under 2 hours, so I was actually happy with this. I do plan to focus on swimming this winter to improve my fitness and form, with hopes of getting faster some day! I realize this is slow in grand scheme of things, but I'm ranking it "good" for me :)
Transition 1
  • 00m 8s
Comments:

I didn't have any specific plans for T1. I think it went well. I ran up the helix and through transition, so I was happy about that. My volunteer was SO nice... and again I was simply amazed at all the helpful folks out there today.

Someday I might try to get faster but this was fine for me today.
Bike
  • 7h 11m 28s
  • 112 miles
  • 15.57 mile/hr
Comments:

First off, very shortly into the ride I did something that reset my computer (went blank) and then it wasn't working correctly during the entire ride. I've used it all summer without one single problem so I have no idea what happened today. I ended up watching the average speed read-out only, but that wasn't even accurate as it turns out.

The bike course felt a little tougher than I expected today. I biked part of it a few weeks ago and felt better and averaged a better pace, so I had higher hopes than this. My first loop was OK and I felt like I was conserving a bit, but I didn't lose some time with a stop at the porta potties in Cross Planes. I struggled during the second loop and my pace definitely dropped but like everyone else, I rallied during the last portion back with the tail wind. I think the heat affected me more than anticipated and maybe I didn't realize it as much because of the breeze. I felt really good climbing the hills actually, and I passed a fair number of people on the major climbs.

My family was scattered along the bike course at various points and it was absolutely uplifting and just wonderful to see them. I was simply floored by the enthusiasm and spectator support on the hills! Couldn't believe the mostly naked men in Tutus on Timber Lane I believe :) I had one issue on the second loop of the Sauk Trail .... I started the climb and tried to shift to the small chain ring 3 times, but it wouldn't shift. Normally my bike shifts flawlessly and I didn't know what was going on. I pulled to the left to get off the course and I had not even unclipped when a spectator grabbed my bike and asked what was wrong. Another guy jumped out the crowd too. After I told them what happened, they helped me complete the shift with a little tweaking. Then they gave me a big push to start since I was in the middle of the hill at that point. I really think the whole thing took about 20 seconds but I couldn't believe how nice and helpful they were. I know it wasn't a big deal really but I'm horrible at trouble shooting mechanical issues on my bike their kindness and reassurance really boosted me mentally :)

Nutrition and fluid intake felt spot on. I also was happy with the fluid "hand-offs" at the aid stations. In the past, I've always stopped to pick up stuff but I didn't today and I was pretty happy with my ability to control the bike and grab stuff. Small victory :)

Work harder - I think I have way more potential on the bike and I feel like I was slacking a bit during my rides this summer.
Transition 2
  • 10m 32s
Comments:

I was fine with this. I had no agenda and to be honest, it felt good to sit and I told my (also very nice) volunteer that I wasn't in a hurry :) :)
Run
  • 6h 05m 30s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, this started great but then tanked, and I'm still mulling it all over in my head. I felt absolutely wonderful - physically and mentally strong - coming out of T2.

I planned for about 11-12 min miles and I was right on track for the first half. I walked 1 minute at each mile marker and also walked a bit through each aid station. Cola and orange slices went down well and I was feeling like a million bucks at the half marathon point. I really don't know what happened or changed and I wish I had more answers. I did not follow my nutrition plan that I'd trained with (NUUN and combos/cheetiz/Gu chomps were making me a little gag- y at that point in the race). However, the aid station offerings seemed to be working well. Just before mile 18, I started o feel gross - very suddenly - and had to visit the porta pottie on Walnut St. Shortly afterward, I started vomiting. Any time I tried to run, within about 1/4 mile, I vomited. I tried to sip really small amounts of fluid, but couldn't really hold anything down. When I hit Breese Terrace on the way in, I vomited a pool of frank blood. It freaked me out a little, but the medical side of my mind rationalized it - we see that happen all the time in pets if they vomit frequently a short period of time, especially when they're really dehydrated, so I figured I just needed to control the vomiting and get rehydrated. I hadn't taken any NSAIDs or anything before or during the race, so I didn't really have much worry about anything too serious. On the other hand, I felt like crap and had never vomited blood before, so I didn't want to completely ignore it. However, I was like 2 miles from being an ironman so I refused to drop out. I walked the rest of the race with multiple stops to sit on the curb and rest... and again, SO MANY volunteers, athletes, and spectators were absolutely amazingly kind and wonderful!!

I feel a little gipped because I didn't really enjoy the finish line experience as much as I had hoped, and I just wanted to get out of the crowds to sit and rest. I didn't even hear my name or "you are an ironman" announced. My own fault of course but I sure was hoping for a little more jubilation. I do feel good about it looking back - but last night it was mostly a blur.

I don't know. I REALLY need to figure out the vomiting during the run thing. This is the second time it's affected me in the late miles of a marathon distance run and my confidence is really shaken. I haven't had a strong finish in a race in 2 years and it really bums me out. I really wish I could do something mentally to avoid it or power through it (because I don't know how to change the physical aspect of it). Definitely something to think about.
Post race
Warm down:

Saw and hugged my dear family and friends. I went to the med tent but actually was feeling better by then and once I was in there, I knew I didn't really need to be there. I had lost only 5 pounds, my BP was normal, and my HR was only about 25 above my normal resting rate. There were so many more people in rougher shape than I was - vomiting, collapsed, cramping to the point of not being able to walk, etc :( :( I was able to sip some broth at that point and after not puking it back up, they let me go. I'm doing OK the next day, just a little stomach/esophageal irritation but able to eat bland stuff and drink. I hope the others are doing better too!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Vomiting during the run.

Event comments:

Overall, this was a spectacular day...one of the best of my life!!! Wade & I stayed to watch the finish and it was absolutely uplifting. We saw firefighter Rob come through, watched the last man finish and fall into a hug from a person who appeared be is son, and watched with tears as the last woman came through less than a minute after the clock stopped... I hope she knows she's an ironman too.

There were so many special moments during this race:
- I passed the firehouse across from Camp Randall at the same time Firefighter Rob did... the station saluted him with their sirens and several firefighters came out to shake his hand. I got goosebumps!!
- I think all cyclists, during the hills, are treated by spectators as though they are leading the Tour de France. It is an amazing feeling and the spectators don't care how fast or slow you are, they're just pulling for you to get up that hill!!
- My family watched a man finish who had recently lost 200 pounds!!!!
- I passed the oldest competitor (74 year old man) at mile 111 of the bike. I told him he was an amazing person. He ended up beating me on the run and my family said he crossed the finish line about 15 minutes before I did. That is simply spectacular!!!

I think Ironman is so interesting and appealing because it really illustrates the tenacity and strength of spirit of so many people. There are so many agendas, all different yet somehow similar, and every single person has a story. Afterward, I told my husband that if people treated one another as they did during this race, the world would be a better place.

I couldn't sleep at all after the race. I stared at the ceiling in the dark and cried - a little overwhelmed by the emotions from the day :)

Last updated: 2011-09-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:32:40 | 4224 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/132
Overall: 0/2700
Performance: Good
Suit: Nineteen, full sleeve
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:11:28 | 112 miles | 15.57 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 10:32
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:05:30 | 26.2 miles | 13m 57s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-09-12 7:55 PM

User image

Veteran
, Wisconsin
Subject: Ironman Wisconsin

2011-09-12 8:17 PM
in reply to: #3683412

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin
Thanks for sharing your story. Congratulations!
2011-09-12 8:31 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

That made me cry a little bit!

Im sorry you had such a tough time on the run.  Definitly NOT a fun way to end an ironman.

Congrats Girl!!  You did it

2011-09-12 8:46 PM

User image

Pro
Congrats on finishing but sorry about the vomiting on the run. Your race brakdown was great to read though. Sounds like it was still and incredible experience.
2011-09-12 9:12 PM

User image

Champion
marietta

great report.  CONGRATS!!!!  sorry about the puking on the run... sucks! 

i love this... " I told my husband that if people treated one another as they did during this race, the world would be a better place."   so true. 

enjoy some well earned rest, ironman. 

2011-09-13 7:01 AM

User image

New user
Great job. Sorry to hear about the run but way to preserver and finish the race!

2011-09-13 7:02 AM

User image

Regular
Stoughton, WI

Wow - blood.  I think I would have stopped in my tracks! Way to tough it out!  I knew I was in trouble with brown pee and made myself walk/run.  But - what an experience!!!  Way to go Ironman!

2011-09-13 8:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, IL
Bronze member
Wow, way to tough it out on the run!  I was in a similar boat with having a great first 13 and then it fell apart quickly due to nausea and dizziness.  You never know what an Ironman will throw at you and it sounds like you handled it really well.  Hope you are feeling better!  Congrats!
2011-09-13 9:25 AM

User image

Expert
Western WI
Way to go IRONMAN!  Thanks for sharing - what a great RR and such awesome memories for you to have forever!
2011-09-13 9:42 AM

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin
Congrats!! You are awesome Ironman!! Great race and report!
2011-09-13 2:06 PM

User image

Marshfield Wi
Boy do I know how you feel. Felt great off the bike and at mile 18 vomit and shut down. Makes for a long frustrating walk to the finish but way to tough it out. In my opinion a true test of strength and determination, way to go IRONMAN!

2011-09-13 4:33 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia

Wow, you are tough!  Way to stay focused and not panic or quit.

I'd like to know how you managed to not be beaten on the swim.  I'm bruised all over my arms from being kicked and elbowed the whole time.

Nice work out there, getting it done!

2011-09-13 7:32 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Way to tough it out!  The run sounds like a killer, but you perservered.  That's what Ironman is all about!

2011-09-13 8:03 PM

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
Great race report.  If it makes you feel any better, I didn't hear my name either.  Just wanted to get across that finish line and I was caught up in all the hype all around me.  Thanks for the tear jerker ending.  You are a great writer.  Cheers to an amazing accomplishment. Glad I was able to train with you at least once.  Keep up the great work and you'll figure out that crazy end-o-the run demon.
2011-09-13 8:50 PM

User image

Elite
Beautiful report.
2012-09-13 7:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN
This is way late but because you commented on my RR I checked your races and read yours.  Great RR!  Congrats on sticking it out.  Still having issues on the long runs?

2012-09-13 9:30 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
congratulations
2012-09-15 11:05 AM

User image

Master
Lexington, KY

Great RR - thanks!

I think Ironman is so interesting and appealing because it really illustrates the tenacity and strength of spirit of so many people. There are so many agendas, all different yet somehow similar, and every single person has a story. 

Well put.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Wisconsin Rss Feed