Revolution3
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 07m 51s
Overall Rank = 39/89
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/15
Pre-race routine:

Friday before race day arrived in Sandusky, checked into hotel. Went to the expo area, picked up my packet, got all my race bags and numbers. Got weighed. Checked out the booths set up at the expo, got alot of cool free samples!

Saturday before race attended the mandatory athlete race meeting. Got my bike ready, my hubby and I prayed over my bike that God would be with me and all the athletes and take us safely through the race. Got checked into transition. Had a very nice gentleman (I think his name was Dusty) litteraly walk me through transition and show me the flow for race day. Shared this info with Paula (my racing partner) because she didn't get very good assitance. Went to Fridays for dinner and then to bed at 8:30pm.

Up at 4:00am race morning, put a small pot of coffee on. Very weird...I was totally calm, no race morning jitters or anything! Ate my bagel from Panera Bread and a hard boiled egg with 1 cup of coffee. Checked the weather forcast for the day. Then started to drink a 32 oz bottle of Powerade.

Got my shower and had my hubby help me put on my race number tatoos. Race outfit on, packed my transition bags into the car, had my hubby drive me over to the transition area. You would think I was having a baby! I think he had my race morning jitters because he was flying in the car! Got to the transition area about 5:30am, put my bags where they needed to go, water bottles on the bike and pumped my tires up, then back to the hotel.

Relaxed and stretched for about 1/2 hour, then grabbed my wetsuit, googles and cap and headed to the beach.
Event warmup:

Paula and I opted out of a pre race warm up swim due to all the mud at the start area on the beach, so I just stretched out and did arm circles on the beach. I was very touched by the tribute Rev3 had set up on the beach for our fallen heros and those lost in the 9-11 attack.
Swim
  • 1h 34m 34s
  • 3862 meters
  • 02m 27s / 100 meters
Comments:

I am by no means a good swimmer, but I even surprised myself. I did better than I predicted.
What would you do differently?:

Need to work on my swim to get faster in the water.
Transition 1
  • 06m 49s
Comments:

There were suit strippers at the swim exit, they kept yelling at me to sit down but I didn't want to get sand all over my shorts as I was going to wear them all day, I yelled back "Please let me stand", they probably thought I was crazy, but they let me stand.

Once in the tent, the voluteers were great and very helpful. The lady sprayed me down with the sunscreen I packed while I put my helmet and shoes on. The lady beside me saw that I brought my own sunscreen and asked if she could have some, so I let the volunteer have it to spray her down also. Grabbed my Mojo bar and ate it as I exited the tent.

Nothing
Bike
  • 6h 17m 47s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.79 mile/hr
Comments:

The hill in Milan was awesome! The spectators were at the top cheering everyone on. It was great to hear them yelling "now thats the way to take that hill!"

Stuck to my plan on the bike with pacing and nutrition. Accelerade for the first 20 mile then water for the next 5 mile with a Honey Stinger gel. Got a gatorade at mile 50 and my special needs bag. Refilled my bottle with the gatorade and ate the best PB&J sandwich in my life! Washed it down with the coke I packed and took some ibuprofen. Stuffed the combos I packed down into my fuel box so I could eat on the go. Gatorade until mile 80 then switched to water for another 5 mile with another Honey Stinger gel. Stopped at mile 75 for a porta potty break and refill of gatorade. nothing but water at mile 100 so I could digest before the run.

Ran into a little rain about mile 88, just enough to get my socks wet then the sun came back out.

Nothing, had an awesome ride, actually better than I planned and my legs still felt great.
Transition 2
  • 07m 16s
Comments:

Took my time. Changed socks, running shoes on, race number belt on, tied my armwarmers on my belt in case it got cold, heart rate monitor on and packed my Clif Shot blocks and ibuprofen in my pocket.

Stopped at the porta potty before exiting transition.

Nothing
Run
  • 5h 01m 25s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt really good at the start of the run and decided I would run the 1st half without walking at all.

Took my ibuprofen at the 1st water station. Began my plan of alternating water and gatorade at each of the water stations with 1 orange Clif Shot block every 1/2 hour.

At the turn around my legs still felt good, but I decided that I would run all but walk at the water stations for 30 to 60 seconds.

I switched from alernating water and gatorade to water and a gel, pretzels, or bananas as the gatorade was mixed strong and really starting to taste bad. I did drink coke at a few of the stations.

My hubby and friends were driving back and forth from the park in town to the halfway turn around (which was at the finish line) to cheer Paula and I on as we came by. It was great to see them out there!

I was so suprised how good I felt! I finished the run in better time than I had planned.

Was able to carry an American flag to the finish line. Cried when I saw my husband at the finish, cried so hard I couldn't breath! He thought something was terribly wrong, it really scared him. Just so happy to be an Iron Distance Finisher!!!

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, stretched, and got a short massage to my neck, low back and quads. Drank 1/2 of a muscle milk. Waited at the finish line till Paula came in. Could not find where the post race food was, so we went back to the hotel, ordered a pizza, and got a shower and then to bed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing, I had a great race, especially my first at this distance!

Event comments:

Rev3 put on a great event! The course was well marked with plenty of aide atations. Will definately consider racing with them again!

Last updated: 2011-01-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:34:34 | 3862 meters | 02m 27s / 100meters
Age Group: 14/15
Overall: 67/89
Performance: Good
Suit: Aquaman Pulsar
Course: 1st 1 mile lap was a triangle, 2nd lap followed the same path except it went at an angle to the beach exit at the 2nd bouy.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:49
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
06:17:47 | 112 miles | 17.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/15
Overall: 48/89
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loop out and back on mostly country roads. Mostly flat with a few minor hills. One section of chip and seal that was pretty rough but with my training around home it wasn't anything I wasn't used to.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 07:16
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
05:01:25 | 26.2 miles | 11m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 0/89
Course: 2 loop course out from the park an down through the town of Sandusky. Lots of people out on the course cheering everyone on.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-09-12 9:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern Ohio
Subject: Revolution3 Full Distance

2011-09-12 9:52 PM
in reply to: #3683541

User image

Expert
C-bus
Subject: RE: Revolution3 Full Distance

Great job!  I did the half (my first half distance) and was kind of jealous, for lack of a better word.  I was thrilled my race was over, yet excited for the full Rev's that were still on the course awaiting their time to cross the finish line!!!!!  Congratulations!!!!  You did great!

2011-09-13 6:51 AM
in reply to: #3683541

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, Virginia
Subject: RE: Revolution3 Full Distance
Great race! What an awesome first race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Revolution3 Full Distance Rss Feed