General Discussion Triathlon Talk » South Mountain, or the flattest road in the world? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-13 12:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Phoenix
Subject: South Mountain, or the flattest road in the world?
Here's my weekend dilemma:

My employer sucks, so I have to work this Sunday. I have a 2.5 mile swim event on Saturday, so I have to do my long bike/run brick on Sunday. I don't know when I'll be done with work on Sunday, but we're usually done around 9-10AM. As soon as I'm done, I'm planning on leaving straight from work to one of these options:

South Mountain

or

A 4-mile bike lane loop in a small, quiet residential area

My plan is to do an 80 mile ride, followed by a run of 3-5 miles.

If I go to South Mountain, I'll do the TV Towers twice and San Juan road the rest of the time until I hit 80 miles. San Juan is great, since there's no cars allowed, but I don't really like going to the towers with cars driving up that narrow winding road. However, the scenery will be much better here, and it's a lot more challenging.

If I go to the little residential area, I'll be doing 20 laps in the same scenery, in the same gear, on the flattest of flat roads. I'll be done a lot sooner (which is good), but I might become mentally unstable. The longest I've gone on this road is 50 miles, and I was becoming suicidal at that point. On the bright side, this is all residential area with very little traffic and a big fat bicycle lane. I always feel very safe here, but I usually only ride in this area for shorter rides due to the intense boredom.

Keep in mind, I won't even be able to get started until about 10:30-11AM, and it will be pretty warm by then. Both of these places have their pros and cons, so I'm really torn on this one. And they're both about a 15 minute drive from work, although the residential ride is on the way home. If I wasn't working Sunday, I'd be at Fountain Hills on Sunday morning at 6AM. But that's not going to work for me this weekend.

Thoughts???

2011-09-13 2:33 AM
in reply to: #3683664

User image

Veteran
Avondale
Subject: RE: South Mountain, or the flattest road in the world?
I have a thought, but it hurts! Bad joke. Actually, I am new so my thought should be considered worthless, at best. But, I think getting bored with 20 loops in a neighborhood could negatively affect your attentiveness and safety. Just a thought. Mike
2011-09-13 10:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale

Here is what you do.........

Go out to the store the day before and pick up one of those little toy guns that shoot the suction cup arrows.  The go to your residential course and put up several pie plates on stakes along the way, and load up on the gun ammo.  Have fun on your ride aiming at targets each time around, shooting at the pie plates. Smile

2011-09-13 10:54 AM

User image

Expert
Tempe
Silver member

Adela, why would you torture yourself doing San Juan and Towers for 80 miles when you're training for IMAZ? IMSG, sure, but IMAZ is virtually flat. My suggestion is to do one SJ/towers climb, then go around the mountain. SJ/towers is about 22 miles if you start at the "Y", or 25 if you start at the second guard shack. Around the mountain is about 50ish miles and mostly flat except through Tempe/Ahwatukee. It's not too scenic, but at least you get to go somewhere. Let me know if you need the route. 

Or you could do 10 loops of San Juan!

2011-09-13 11:08 AM

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ

Can you do both?

Ride San Juan (maybe towers as well) and then ride out to your neighborhood and do loops. Return to San Juan when you get bored.

2011-09-13 12:45 PM

User image

Elite
Mesa, AZ
Sounds like a trainer day with lots of good movies to me!

2011-09-14 12:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Phoenix
Great idea, Patrick! I'll have to try that next time!

Chad - They're both a 15 minute drive from work, but in opposite directions. South Mountain to north Phoenix is a loooong ride with waaaaaay too many traffic lights (I don't like stopping once I start).

Kim - Send me that route! I rarely go to South Mountain, and I almost never go to Tempe/Ahwatukee, so I'm totally unfamiliar about going around the mountain (I didn't even know I could do that). Are there a lot of traffic lights/stop signs? I always try to ride non-stop roads, which is probably why I'm always defaulting to Fountain Hills. I'm spoiled

Jen - I sold my trainer last year. It was collecting dust and it needed a home that could properly care for it and actually use it from time to time. I'll admit it - I hate riding the trainer. I hate it with every fiber of my being. I tried so many times to watch TV while riding it, even watching the Tour and various triathlons. It was always a miserable ride for me. Nothing beats the outdoors!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » South Mountain, or the flattest road in the world? Rss Feed