Reston Triathlon
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 16m 45s
Overall Rank = 73/404
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 13/52
Pre-race routine:

Pretty casual morning, since the race is about 15 minutes from my house. Got up around 4:30 had some coffee and cereal, took the usual wake-up shower, got dressed, loaded the bike and headed out around 5:30.

Event warmup:

Got to the site and started to set up transition. The race was changed to a Du at the last minute, so I had to walk around and figure out where the new in/out spots were. The original race had 2 different transition areas so the change to one area made things a bit hectic, but overall it went pretty smooth. Ran into a friend of mine's son, who I knew was doing the race. We chatted a bit and it turned out he was in my starting wave so I had someone to hang around with pre-race. About 10 minutes or so before the race start time I ran a few laps around the track, and did some light stretching.
Run
  • 18m
  • 2.3 miles
  • 07m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first Du so I was really unsure what the best way was to pace this thing. In looking back I think I went to conservative. I came in 115 out of 404, which is a bit low (placement-wise) for me especially considering my placement on the 2nd run.

Anyhow It was a good solid run, but some of those steep hills killed me. Not so much from a strength/cardio standpoint but the short and steep little buggers hurt my ankles and knees due to how much it impacts my stride.
What would you do differently?:

Push a little bit more, in looking back I think I went out too easy on this leg just due to my inexperience with the run-bike-run format. I think I really left some time on the table here. But then again who knows, I could've ran 90 seconds or so faster and blew up on the bike or 2nd run.
Transition 1
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

Transitions were pretty easy... kick off the running shoes and put on the cycling shoes. Did pretty well putting on the helmet and sunnies while getting out of the running shoes and into the cycling shoes simultaneously.

Still haven't mastered the flying start so I had a fair distance to trot with the bike while in my cycling shoes. May have saved some seconds if I could flying start.

Practice the flying mount to save some time, but overall this was a fairly good T1.
Bike
  • 1h 10m 56s
  • 23.6 miles
  • 19.96 mile/hr
Comments:

So this was again my limiting discipline. I felt as though I pushed pretty hard on the bike and my HR data seems to back that up, but I still came in at (just under) 20 MPH. Better than the beginning of the season but still not where I want to be.

The course was a fairly tough (for me) 3 loops of a mostly rolling course... no real flats to speak of I was either grinding it out at 15 MPH going up hill or pushing the big ring at 30+ MPH going back down. I did slow in some spots just due to my questioning the speed given the road conditions. I wasn't a big fan of the first patch of sand and gravel I hit going down hill, I slowed there all 3 times.

Not much. Train harder in the off season and hope to get stronger.
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

Again a pretty simple transition. Although of note for me was the fact that I did the flying dismount and made out pretty well for me. I've never done one before... at all, not in training, not in a race. I have no idea what possessed me to do this I just did it. Not that I recommended this method, but it seemed to be pretty simple. I'm going to work on this a bit in training to see if I can hone my skills.

Nothing
Run
  • 45m 59s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a good solid run. I had to deal with the same nasty little hills again, but oh well races aren't supposed to be easy! I was able to again make up time/places on the run that I always lose on the bike. I couldn't tell you how many total folks I passed, but I took down 10 in my AG. I don't think I got passed by anyone... if I did it couldn't have been more than one or two, and I know for sure no one in my AG passed me, that's all I really pay attention to.

I got a diaphragm cramp at about mile 4 that hindered me a bit. I had to slow down some and take some deep deliberate breaths for about 1/2 mile or so to work it out. Overall it wasn't too bad... may have cost me 30 seconds overall as I didn't slow down too much, just enough to fight back the cramp.

Not too much this was a pretty solid run. Other than the diaphragm cramp that I dealt with for half mile or so, I don't think I could've gone much faster.

In retrospect, I'm not thinking the Chipotle burrito was the best option for dinner the night before a race. Don't know if this had anything to do with the cramps, but it couldn't have helped!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit and cleaned up. Had some fantastic breads and a Diet Coke from the post-race chow line, then went down the finish line to cheer in my friend's son.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The bike as always (my training focus this off season), and my lack of experience with the run-bike-run format. I really paced the first run wrong.

Event comments:

Overall I thought this was a well run, fun race. They had great facilities, and it was super easy for me to get to/from. Not so crowed that I was lost in the shuffle, but just crowded enough to have some good solid fun and competition. I now know why this race sells out in a day or two, I'll be back.

Last updated: 2011-06-14 12:00 AM
Running
00:18:00 | 02.3 miles | 07m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/52
Overall: 115/404
Performance: Average
Avg HR: 164, Max HR: 184
Course: Mostly on local paved trails. Pretty hilly in spots, no real long "climbs" but lots of little steep hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:57
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
01:10:56 | 23.6 miles | 19.96 mile/hr
Overall: 136/404
Performance: Average
Avg HR: 165, Max HR 180
Wind: Little
Course: Three laps of a moderately hilly rolling course. Hills weren't horrible, but certainly noticeable. Some roads had some pretty rough and old pavement, the others were nice and smooth. Gravel and sand patches in a couple of places.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 99
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:55
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:45:59 | 06.21 miles | 07m 24s  min/mile
Overall: 36/404
Performance: Good
Avg HR: 169, Max HR: 182
Course: Out and back, mostly on local paved trails. Good shade the whole way, but those same nasty little sharp incline hills to deal with.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-09-13 8:09 AM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Subject: Reston Triathlon

2011-09-13 8:22 AM
in reply to: #3683870

User image

Veteran
Fairfax, VA
Subject: RE: Reston Triathlon

Awesome performance!  Which wave were you in?  We were pretty close in time so I'm sure I must have seen you somewhere out there, likely on the run.

I struggled with how to pace the first run, too.  I targeted 45 - 60 seconds above my 5k pace and that's about where I landed.  But I also think I could have left some time on the table.  Having those two steep but short hills would have made pushing it harder very difficult, however, and - I agree - could have affected me later in the race.

I loved the transitions - easy peasy, and no "socks or not?" decision required...

2011-09-13 9:05 AM
in reply to: #3683870

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Subject: RE: Reston Triathlon
Thanks, you too.  I was in wave 5 so I started a towards the back of the field.  It was interesting that they did the waves by bib number instead of AGs... made it fun but tough to really be aware of your AG competition.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Reston Triathlon Rss Feed