General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM training with unpredictable work schedule Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-13 8:22 AM

User image

Expert
Western WI
Subject: IM training with unpredictable work schedule

So, in the past, I've worked a 9-5ish job with no weekends.  I was able to swim before work and run or bike after with all my long workouts on the weekends - what a great set up that was!

Now, I have a job where one  week I'll be 0630-1500, the next I may be 0800-1630 and the next I may be 1330-2130 with about every 4th weekend.  Anyone else out there figure out a way to train for an IM around this schedule?  On my 0630 or 1330 weeks, do I turn all my workouts into bricks either before or after?  Or split them up with a few hours but do them both before/after work? (My pool is right by my work so I'd have to run or bike at home first, then drive to the pool then head to work...  is it detrimental to always swim second?)

Any advice or personal experience would be appreciated!

2011-09-13 10:05 AM
in reply to: #3683887

User image

Boynton Beach, FL
Subject: RE: IM training with unpredictable work schedule
i think we all (unless extreeeeemely fortunate) have to juggle work/life around training.  For me its a 6x10hr work week plus "family day" on the 7th.... i work around by getting up early most days of the week for a workout, trying to get a short work out as needed at lunch and/or someting after work.  Long bikes are on sundays, but Im up at 4a-430 to get on the road to be back in time for most of the day with the fam.  yes, i get tired and am in bed most nights by 9, but thats what works for me.  I dont know if there is any specific advice, but what works best for me is looking at my work sched, family commitments, and tri sched all ahead of time and plan out as much as possible where workouts can fit, then i do my best to stick to the plan.
2011-09-13 4:38 PM
in reply to: #3683887

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Subject: RE: IM training with unpredictable work schedule
While I work a Sunday-Thursday schedule, the day to day hours are different, anything from 7am-3 to 1:30-10pm.

The biggest tool that has helped me is spending time each week working my training schedule around my work schedule for the following week so I know exactly what I do when and what time I need to get up.

Flexibility is key, be willing to get up to do a 10 mile run at 4am, in the dark(and sometimes rain.) Swim at 7pm etc.

My schedule this week looks like this:
Monday: up at 4am to do 8 mile T-pace run, work 7-3:30, interval swim at 4.
Tuesday: up at 6am for 10 mile steady run, work 10-6:30, swim at 7pm
Wed; up at 4am, run 8 miles, work 7-3:30, swim at 4:15
Thurs: up at 5am, work 7-3:30, bike intervals at 4:15, core workout
Fri/sat long run, a swim and a recovery run
Sunday; OFF

My focus now is on swimming and running. I will start an 'official' build for IM #3 in December(IMSG)

It can be done, but adds an extra challenge.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM training with unpredictable work schedule Rss Feed