United States
Pumpkinman Triathlon
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 56m 23s
Overall Rank = 405/434
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 29/33
Pre-race routine:

I was pleasantly surprised to have had a great night sleep! We stayed with friends in Durham, NH so I packed sleep aid: a little help from 10mg of melatonin :)

alarm at 4:10am. Typical breakfast of a bagel... sipped on 50% Gatorade.
Event warmup:

Arrived at the race site a 5am - which is REALLY DARK this time of year - must pack a headlamp IF I ever race that early again ;)
Set up transition and looked around for familiar faces.

We did a lot of waiting - I think about 50 minutes due to unusual fog on the pond - it's a bad sign when you can't even see the water let alone the buoys :) They made special notice of the Anniversary of 9/11. It was appropriate and very emotional. We are all so lucky to live in a country that allows us to do what we do! USA :)
Swim
  • 40m 39s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Other than the sun obscuring my sighting - it was a perfect swim. I did bump into a friend right at the start and that knocked my goggles a bit. I got them re-positioned and I was off. I gave it a good push to start without stressing myself out too much. It was a pretty small wave (33) so it wasn't long before I had free space to stroke and kick. Lap 1 was smooth sailing and rounded the buoys for lap two feeling great. I caught up to the wave ahead so it was a little crowded getting out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

nada - I'm SO happy with this swim. Our weekly swims at Walden definitely helped. I was cool calm and collected the whole time.
Transition 1
  • 05m 10s
Comments:

There is a massive hill from the pond to transition and I took my sweet time - saving a minute and sending my heart rate thru the roof just wasn't worth it :) I just made sure had everything I needed for the ride.
Bike
  • 3h 24m 13s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.45 mile/hr
Comments:

This was what I worried about the most but it ended up just fine. I wanted a 16mph pace and I got 16.4 so I'm happy. My feet got numb right on schedule about a half hour into the ride, I sat up a lot and shifted around. The delay at the start had my system a little out of whack and I had a full bladder as I got on the bike - NOT GOOD FOR SITTING IN AERO! Mile after mile ticked off and the bladder didn't go away. Then I couldn't take it any more, at mile 22 I found a nice easy decent - and no one behind me..... you can figure out the rest. SO glad I rode with a bottle of plain water :) SWEET RELIEF - I was back cranking in aero, celebrated hitting the halfway point and cruised thru loop 2. There were a couple of aid stations but my favorite was the guy holding up a Bud Light - it just makes you smile. Seeing the 40 mile marker sent me into hysterics - at this point I knew I could do another hour and smiled the entire way back to transition!

I gotta get faster! I wanted to be done in 3:30 and I got 3:24, goal met but seriously that's too damn slow!
Transition 2
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

T2 was easy but I knew 13.1 was going to be tough so I puffed on my inhaler a little and set out on my way.

nothing - I don't worry about transitions - they aren't making or braking my podium :)
Run
  • 2h 43m 34s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Ok here's where it got ugly FAST. Having numb feet on the ride really screwed up my run. I couldn't feel anything but pain in my lower legs. I fought thru the first mile and 1/2 to the water stop and then walked for a while. This repeated until I got to the next stop and saw friends - usually that helps boost my spirits but the physical overruled the emotional. I ran/walked with little success then i said F* it and came to a full stop. I shook out my legs trying to release the calves and IT WORKED!! Blood/feeling rushed into my feet and I felt great. Unfortunately this didn't solve the problem but it helped and I repeated whenever the pain got to be too much. I partied at every water stop, took 2 icy sponges each time I passed and just kept going. I encouraged and was encouraged all along the way by/for other runners. I saw familiar faces - KOM, Isis, and of course my teammate whynot-tri. And my friend SunnyS - her usual sunniness is hard to ignore - we had a fun few strides together which helped A LOT. I've never had such an outburst of emotions as I did when I saw the 12 mile marker. I was so mentally exhausted - and then, just a little further ahead, I say my loyal fan club of teammates from Zoom Multisport (they raced at Lobsterman the day before) I was thankful for someone to walk with until they picked me up and forced me to run up the hill to the turn down the finish shoot. There is NO way I would have made it under 7 hours without their encouragement to NOT WALK ANYMORE. Triathlon is an individual sport but the support system really makes it a team effort! I LOVE THOSE CRAZY KIDS!

This winter with be a bike overhaul to correct the foot situation - It's not the engine - I've done bricks - this is a hardware issue that I know can be corrected.
Post race
Warm down:

TEARS OF JOY - I found Isis and congratulated her on her podium, got a snack - which was AWESOME, best post race food EVER, full on Thanksgiving FEAST, DELICIOUS!!!! I had 1/2 a beer too, I was rushing to get back over to see KOM and it was worth it :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm just slow - I need to push out of that comfort zone and that's the winter focus. Right now I'm going to enjoy a little rest though ;)

Event comments:

The Pumpkinman team is AWESOME, for a first timer I could not have asked for a better course or support from volunteers, etc. It was amazing, IF I ever do another Half Iron it would probably at a different venue (just for a change) but I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to be a part of this race and would do the Sprint in a heartbeat!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-02-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:39 | 2112 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/33
Overall: 83/434
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 2 lap, counter-clockwise swim
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:10
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:24:13 | 56 miles | 16.45 mile/hr
Age Group: 29/33
Overall: 396/434
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loops, rolling hills. smooth and rough surfaces, a few tight turns
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:43:34 | 13.1 miles | 12m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 29/33
Overall: 405/434
Performance: Bad
Course: Rolling hills - more than I expected. Strangely laid out 2 loops.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-09-13 10:18 AM

User image

Beantown
Subject: Pumpkinman Half Iron Triathlon

2011-09-13 11:45 AM
in reply to: #3684162

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Subject: RE: Pumpkinman Half Iron Triathlon
Congrats on being tough and finishing it with style!  Great RR, and thanks for the scoop on this race. Good luck w/ the bike fix too - the numb feet thing sounds awful.

Way to Go!!
2011-09-13 1:17 PM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

great job Lisa!!!!  soo proud of you!!!!

2011-09-13 3:03 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great job out there Lisa!! Hope you get your foot problems sorted out soon!!
2011-09-13 5:41 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Awesome job out there!  Numb feet suck on the run.
2011-09-13 7:47 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay

Congrats to my first time buddy!!  We did our first 13.1 together and now our first 70.3!!  I was never so happy as to see your smiling face on the run.  You had an awesome race and an even better attitude!  I hope you get your bike fit perfect so your feet can carry you to many more successful tri finishes!!

Heading Out For the run!!!  Looking GOOD!!!

Edited by KOM 2011-09-13 8:02 PM

2011-09-13 8:07 PM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Congrats Lisa! 
2011-09-13 10:02 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
Very fun having you part of the day Lisa..You have a great can-do attitude and you DID smile all day..Loved your RR and looking forward to seeing what next season brings for you..CONGRAS on your 1st (of many I am sure!) 70.3...YAY LISA!!!
2011-09-14 8:56 AM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH

Great race Lisa!  Congrats on conquering the Half Iron distance.  That is a bummer about your feet going numb.  It sounds like its a common theme for you.  You should look into that because it should not be happening.  Have you tried other shoes?  Played with your bike fit at all?

Enjoy your recovery, you've definitely earned it!  Hopefully I will see you again soon!

2011-09-15 9:18 AM

User image

Glad to hear you had such a great experience for your first half!  Great job on your swim and bike legs, it always feels good when you can move at the speed you were hoping to early in the race.  I have the same love of the Walden swims that you expressed in your report, I'm sure we've passed each other in the water more than once.

Enjoy the rest with a big smile on your face!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pumpkinman Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed