United States
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 36m 19s
Overall Rank = 224/645
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 42/74
Pre-race routine:

Cereal in the morning, mini-cliff bar, handful of peanuts. Bus ride to Ouray, got settled in and put on moleskin followed by taping and body glide on my feet. I was feeling like a lack of blisters would be lucky this time.
Event warmup:

Some light jogging up and down the main street, feeling pretty good.
Run
  • 3h 36m 19s
  • 17.1 miles
  • 12m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

Seeded myself MUCH better this year, about 20-25 feet from the start line. Wore pants and long sleeve shirt, only needed the jacket for the first mile and a half or so, wrapped it around my waste after that and was comfortable the rest of the race. Started off at an easy conversational pace which was perfect, got passed a bit but those people dropped back quickly and were out of breath. Took some gatoraid at the first 2 aid stations. Kept a strong pace and walked the short steeper sections to save energy. Started losing momentum around mile 7 and bonked around 7.5 before the Upper camp bird aid station, started walking after that. Felt drained and slightly dizzy, a bit zoned out. Took a handful of M&Ms and a cookie at the aid station and some gatoraid to try and regain some energy. Tried running for a few seconds and started walking again, I realized I was done and there wouldn't be any running, even on the short downhill sections to the summit. Tried to keep a decent walking pace but slowed more and more, passed by a lot of other people walking too. Fatigue got worse and worse, made sure not to push it so I could at least get to the summit aid station without incident. Heart was pounding even at the slow walking pace, I was kicking myself to not bringing any nutrition like I did last year, won't make that mistake next year. Finally got to the home scretch to the summit after a steep climb, it was flat and I was starting to feel slightly better, but still dazed. Found the M&Ms and shoveled a handful into my mouth followed by gatoraid, I repeated this 4 times and leaned against one of the vechiles at the top for a minute. Started to feel a bit better and decided I should be able to finsh the race. Started walking the first steep section of downhill and picked up a slow jog .25 miles down. Quickened my pace as I started regaining energy, and keeping it slower on the first steep downhill section was pretty good for my feet, didn't feel like I had any hotspots this time. Couple miles down I was feeling only slightly dazed but my legs felt strong, started passing people again and picking up the pace. Really cruised the last 2 miles and finished well, made up some missed time on the accent and no blisters this year!

OA place Upper Camp Bird: 107 1:34:30
OA place Summit: 206 58:09
OA place finish: 224 1:03:40
What would you do differently?:

Take nutrition every 30-45 minutes during the run, bring the fuel belt next time. Start training earlier and build slower miles, do a LOT more hill work starting 2 months prior to the race at higher altitude.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much of a warm down, walked back to the hotel soon after I finished.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bonking at mile 7.5, not enough training

Event comments:

Love Imogene! Highly organized and an amazing course, hope to make it a yearly thing.

Last updated: 2011-09-13 12:00 AM
Running
03:36:19 | 17.1 miles | 12m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 42/74
Overall: 224/645
Performance: Bad
Course: The Imogene Pass Run (IPR) is a 17.1 mile point-to-point mountain race within the western San Juan mountains of Colorado, run along a route which connects the towns of Ouray (7810 ft.) and Telluride (8750 ft.) by way of 13,114 foot Imogene Pass.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes