Sunny
Total Time = 5h 22m 43s
Overall Rank = 50/187
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 11/35
Pre-race routine:

woke plenty early had my usual stack of pancakes. and water
Event warmup:

I arrived early got the best spot in transition possible, right next to the bike in/out. then went and relaxed in the car for half hour. went and rode 10 minutes nice and easy just to warm up the legs. Then i just walk around until time to put the wetsuit on.
Swim
  • 20m 41s
  • 2110 yards
  • 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

so the swim course was obviously short. I was in the second wave. since the first guy was 3 minutes and 10 seconds ahead of me, i am guessing he started in the first wave, when the timing system had him start in the second wave. I still would have been second out of the water, but 3 minutes faster just seems a little extraordinary.
What would you do differently?:

I still need to get more than a couple thousand yard in per week of swimming. Not for speed, but for ease of effort. I will continue to swim once or twice a week, i just need to actually get a workout in not just an easy warm up of a 1000 yards. if i take the time to go to the pool, then i might as well put in a real workout of 3k-4k.

Transition 1
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

I am very surprised by how fast this transition was. I felt like i was on the steps forever. That and my garmin has me taking 2:18 to get from the water to my bike.... so i dont know where the timing mats were

I need to do more "running" after getting out of the water.
Bike
  • 2h 44m 50s
  • 54 miles
  • 19.66 mile/hr
Comments:

so i was feeling good out of the swim. I thought i could really push it and hang on, just like i do in the Olympic distances. Boy was i wrong. the first lap i averaged 21 MPH. I thought i am tired, but doing better than expected. I was way ahead of my goal time. then the second lap i averaged under 19 MPH. And i felt like crap toward the end. I drank both water bottle of my gu/powerade/water mix. I grabbed a water bottle at bottle exchange( unfortunately it was a regular bottle of water with a cap) In hindsight i should have also grabbed a bottle of heed. I was getting passed by so many people. I am used to getting paced by people, but this felt like so many more than usual.

If i ever do this distance again. I need to do more miles. My longest ride was 70 miles. I only rode more than 50 miles at a time approximately 5 times. I way overestimated my fitness level for this distance. I talked with a guy that finished at my goal time (who kept yelling at me: "lets go swimmer" every time he passed me or crossed my path on the bike and run) He told me how easy he took the first lap then picked it up a little, but saved it all for the run. SO that is what i will do, IF i do this distance again.
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

I am also surprised how quick this transition was. I sat down, to put socks on (i usually dont wear socks in shorter distances) then when i was putting socks and shoes on my quads were starting to cramp so i kind of stretched and pounded on then to keep them from cramping more.

drink and eat more and go slower so my quads are not just wiped out when i get off the bike
Run
  • 2h 13m 55s
  • 13.2 miles
  • 10m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

Now this is where the whole HIM (close enough, i know it is 2 miles short on the bike) experience get real interesting, and very educational for me.

I got out of transition a little under 3:10.00 and figured i could still salvage the race and try to finish around 5 hours and 10 minutes. I was not expecting to be able to run at all. So i went out totally easy. To my surprise my garmin told me i was running 8:45. I thought to myself "ok i am going easy, i can do this" the second mile same pace. the third mile i tried to work on keeping good form and high cadence. Big mistake! That mile was 8:25. That is when my right shoulder seized up. Not the front or inside, like i was having a heart attack, but I could barely hold it up and i definitely could not lift it sideways or up from the shoulder at all. I learned this when i tried to lift a cup of water to my mouth. One top of that i started to feel "cold" from the slight breeze. I knew then this was not going to be a "fun" experience. After this i walked through what i thought was every water station. I say thought, because on my garmin download after, i clearly did not slow down in a couple more of them but i dont remember running through any of them. (water stations were every mile) The rest of the race i just wanted to "not walk", except the water stations. I kept pace with one other person who proclaimed he was over-heating. he would run faster than me, but he would walk a lot more than me, so we kept passing each other until mile 11.

My state of mind was: that if i walked more than the water stations then i would not motivate myself to start running (or shuffling) again. the rest of the run, i alternated with having my arm in normal run position/ hanging loosed / tucked into my tri suit like a sling. I am guessing i need to re-evaluate my aero position on the bike. when i am pushing hard i flex my shoulders and back. I can ride relaxed, but i just hunch my back unless i think of reminding myself to relax my back. so my run got slower and slower. I took in more and more water and dumped water on me at every station. I knew i was dehydrated and overheating.

The last water station (1 mile to go) I stopped and told them i was not doing well. they dumped a lot of cold water on me that felt so good and it helped a lot. they wanted me to sit down, but i thought my legs would just cramp up if i sat. so i took in more water and moved on. The last mile hurt the most. the last big hill pushed me to the edge so i half way up i walked the rest of the hill. I felt the puking coming and i did not want that to happen, so i walked until i felt better. Seeing the turn back from transition to the finish was a little disheartening. That meant there was a very small very steep up and then down right before the finish. I just wanted to hop the fence and cross the finish, but i didnt. The last little down hill i just let gravity to all the work, so my body looked a lot worse then it actually was. Jenny told me that i looked like a limp noodle, and it scared her.

Beside be in better shape for the distance: I would take in more nutrition and water on the bike, so i dont start out in deficit. then i would learn an easier more appropriate pace and start with that and just stick to it. even if started at 9:30 and stayed with it per mile i would have saved 11 minutes over all.
Post race
Warm down:

I put ice in my tri suit. drank a couple of bottles of water, then i chugged a muscle milk. I hate that stuff, but it was cold and i needed some sugar.

then i paced around the beach and waded into the water. I kept moving, and once the nausea settle down i ate a hot dog and more water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fitness: I underestimated how taxing a close to 5 hour race is. nutrition: need more calories and water on the bike. pacing: need to start possibly all 3 legs easier and then build up.

I went into the race with a goal of 4:50. in my mind i would be happy with anything under 5 hours. If i did not make so many fatal mistakes, then i still think 5 hours was achievable. I now have motivation for the winter.

Event comments:

i really liked the social atmosphere of the longer distance race. The swim was short. Not a big deal, everyone races the same course. If i race this distance again, then i would do this race again. Any negatives i have toward the race are self inflicted and the usual lack of organization of a randy race, which i really dont have any problems with that.

Last updated: 2011-05-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:41 | 2110 yards | 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/35
Overall: 2/187
Performance: Good
Suit: orca tri suit under wetsuit
Course: clockwise 2 laps.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:39
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:44:50 | 54 miles | 19.66 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/35
Overall: 54/187
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: 2 laps. a little hilly but worst of all the last half mile of each lap is so bumpy. it just beat the heck out of me
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:13:55 | 13.2 miles | 10m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/35
Overall: 91/187
Performance: Bad
Course: this is the hilliest course i have run, in a tri. it is an out and back. the first 3 miles are up and down. then relatively flat until the turn around which is on the top of a hill. then back....
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-09-13 1:02 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Subject: Square Lake Long Course Triathlon

2011-09-13 3:11 PM
in reply to: #3684514

User image

Hugo, MN
Subject: RE: Square Lake Long Course Triathlon

Pete, that's a pretty good time for blowing up. I didn't even think about the fact that the guy may have gone off in the wrong wave.

We should get together and ride sometime. Hope you had an enjoyable tri season.

2011-09-13 3:48 PM
in reply to: #3684804

User image

Minneapolis, MN

i didnt think about the fact that he could have only done one lap also.  now that you mention it, i did get asked by a couple of people as i got out of the water, if i did 2 laps.  I was thinking that was a funny thing to ask.  but my partner was there and she told me there were a couple of people that thought the lap came through the beach then out again for the second lap.....  It kind of amazes me how many people do their first tri as a HIM. 

I would totally ride with ya.  I need all the miles i can get.  I really do like the OLY distance.  I have no sprint speed and i am not sure about the longer distances. 

2011-09-13 7:34 PM
in reply to: #3684514

User image

I'm glad you made it. It's sobering to think how fast things can go wrong. Great results regardless!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Square Lake Long Course Triathlon Rss Feed