Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-09-14 8:55 AM
in reply to: #3684650

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin
I found myself in a bit of a dark place as well on Sunday, but not the level you experienced.  I appreciate the honesty in your race report, and also respect the drive and determination to aim really high and then have to accept you are crashing, but refusing to quit.  Great RR Fred, I know you'll bounce back.

2011-09-14 8:56 AM

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
You are amazing!!!!  Thanks for sharing your painful story.  So happy that you gutted it out though. 
2011-09-14 9:12 AM
in reply to: #3684729

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Rudedog55 - 2011-09-13 1:40 PM

Truth....it hurts and heals, you love it and you hate it.  You spoke it, an that speaks volumes about you as a person. If i had not read hundreds of your posts before, this report would have told me all i needed to know about you. That my friend is honorable.

Enjoy your time away, we will all look forward to your return.

Wow, normally I have a lot to say, but Rudy summed up my thoughts perfectly and I have nothing to add but I'm proud of you, buddy.
2011-09-14 9:39 AM

User image

Fred just totally EPIC to even finish having lost 13 pounds!! No one can take away what a superb athlete you are... sorry day just didn't go as planned.  You are tough as nails.  Amazing!
2011-09-14 10:12 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
It is possible to do everything right and still not get what you want.  This was one of those days but you soldiered forward and are a great example for your children.  Also as  BOPPER I salute you.  For many of us Kona is not even in the realm of possibility and the race you had would be a dream for many of us so thank you for respecting that.  God bless you that kona is in your realm.  In the end I bet you will learn more from this day than from a day when everything went perfectly.  You did the best you could with what you had on on that day and that is all any of us can ask of ourselves.   Without taking all the risks you did in preparation for this race  your KQ dream would probably have not been as good and we all must take risks.  So, I will say CONGRATULATIONS on finishing....not "just" finishing but FINISHING and doing your very best on that day.
2011-09-14 10:24 AM

User image

Master
SMIBville
Some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug.  Re-evaluate, reload, and do it again.

2011-09-14 1:51 PM

User image

I didn't think that was hard to read at all Fred, in fact I found it quite inspirational and will probably reflect on it next time I am having a bad race.  Thanks for the honesty.  You don't need to prove anything to anyone but yourself
2011-09-14 1:53 PM
in reply to: #3685952

User image

Master

I am so sorry that you did not have the day you wanted, Fred.  As some of the posters have mentioned, you are one of the people whose posts I read with interest on here.  

I don't know if this means anything coming from me, since I am not competitive at the level that you are, BUT good on you for not giving up and for sharing your day and your kind words with other racers.  I was that guy at Louisville last year and I gained much from the experience. 

2011-09-14 3:59 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Thank you for the very honest race report! Sounds like a doozy.

I had a back muscle seize at IMSG this year, and that was a pain like no other. Way to keep it going! Maybe next year we'll both rock the Kona bus!
2011-09-14 4:34 PM

User image

Master
Dirt Road
Thanks Fred you have helped me again.
2011-09-14 4:50 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Thanks for the honesty Fred.  I have been following you building up to IMWI (not in a creepy way).  I was pulling for you and watching you progress as well during the race.

All I can say is you've been an inspiration to me as well as many others, so enjoy your time off and heal up.

I also want to say that your RR is a good reality check for many of us newbies who dream of KQ'ing one day.  It's not as simple as training for a year and doing it, there's a lot more to it than that.  

2011-09-14 5:16 PM

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY

I loved this report, Fred. Like others have said, the honesty is much appreciated and even when we have a great day in Ironman, it's a really difficult day filled with obstacles. I'm nowhere near your athletic ability, but in 2009 when I trained for my first Ironman (IMWI), I did everything right. I made tons of sacrifices - took vacation time to train in the middle of the week all summer, had minimal social life in a year I was going through a divorce, made big financial investments in coaching, equipment, etc. My training was perfect for my goals, I was fit, I was strong, I was ready. Then 14 days before the race I woke up and couldn't walk. 10 days before race day I was diagnosed with a torn PF and couldn't race. I had an absolute breakdown. In the end, I found myself walking out of T2 against doctor's orders and I walked an entire marathon with a severe limp after doing the best-ever swim and bike I had ever done at that point in my tri life. I walked for over 7 hours with a lot of other really broken souls and I crossed the finish line at nearly 11pm, over 3 hours past my goal time. I know how hard it is to be forced to readjust goals and push through immense pain. While my goal wasn't the caliber of Kona, it still meant a lot to me and I was disappointed. But in hindsight, I learned more about myself, this sport and the incredible people we share it with on that day and I will never consider it my "worst" race. In some ways it was my best because I took so much away from it.

I think you'll take a lot away from this too, and the example you set for your girls about never giving up is priceless. Because of you, they will think anything they dream is possible. That is a really incredible gift.

You're a great athlete. You'll bounce back, I have no doubt. You said to me at the athlete's dinner that some days we wake up more fit than other days. For whatever reason, Sunday was a less fit day. You'll have better ones and I'm sure it will be very soon. Heal and enjoy your family, see you out there next season.

2011-09-14 6:13 PM

User image

New user

NE Illinois

Fred,

An outstanding story and one for which you owe no apologies. Learn what you can from the experience, both from a sporting and a personal level, and move forward.

Kiss your wife and girls and remember what is truly important in life. If you never put your wetsuit on again, your greatest accomplishments are sitting with you around your dinner table.

Best of luck in the future. I echo the comments of others that your posts are among those that I feel I need to read because there will be something of value in them.

There is a compact crank on my tri bike, and my legs have you to thank for that.

Russ

2011-09-14 8:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Gloucestershire, England

The most inspirational race report I've ever read. 

Adrian

2011-09-14 10:14 PM

User image

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI

Fred, sorry to hear about your tough day.  I too was really struggling, the run was kind of a blur for me as well.  I do remember seeing you along the path along the lake front.  The heat and course really took it out of the entire field.  There was no comparison between the amount of folks walking the run in comparision to last year.  This year IM WI took it's toll across the board.  I saw both the #1 and #2 pro males walking the marathon, this speaks volumes. 

Way to gut it out and finish after a long day. 

It was great finally meeting you and your wife at the dinner banquet.  Hope to see you being a great mentor again in the future.  I know I have learned a lot from your advice.

Greg

2011-09-15 9:00 AM

User image

Expert
I think there are a lot of "take aways" that you'll learn from this day.  Sometimes, the hardest part about being an athlete is the expectations.  The worry about failure.  In other eyes, your own eyes, people's eyes who barely know you.  Truth be told.  You have to love to want to do this and it sounds like you were having a tough time with your training this year.  You mention it was not fun any more.  Bottom line is...it has to be "fun."

Congrats on toughing it out and sticking with it on a day when you could have packed it in.  When it's not fun, it's easy to quit.  Clearly that's not something you were willing to do.  People should envy.  

Rest up... Heal up, and get your mind back in order.   

2011-09-15 10:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago and therabouts
Fred,

as others have allready said more eloquent than myself, the honesty of the RR is appreciated.  To give people the opportunity to get some insight into your thoughts and psyche during the most challenging of times is a gift.

From a medical perspective, I read your report and don't quite know how to put your situation together. The 13 lb wt loss as a result of the day makes sense, but the way you felt off, and out of it less than 20 miles into the bike, the way you describe taking turns,  and even on the swim makes one wonder.  difficult to see how you could get that dehydrated so quickly as an explanation for feeling off. 2 years ago, a lot of people at Madison had sig problems with keeping hydrated.. Out of proportion for the heat of the day. suspect a fair amout of people took in some blue/green algae during the swim that affected them during the day.  There did not seem to be a high amount though leading up to the race, but you mentioned that you did swallow a fair amount of water. Were you battling a viral illess that popped up, any new pills, meds you took that you dont normally. (you wrote of taking caffeine pills in the am...sometime they can mess you up when taken with certain over the counter cold meds).. Prolly worth going over with your coach and and MD (who understands world of long distance tri's and who wont just go..."sure your gonna feel crappy during a 140 mile race")  when things arent as raw, but before you forget some of the details that might help.

It was nice meeting you and your wife at the dinner and the morning of the race.
I wish you and your family the best as you sort out your future goals.

JT
2011-09-15 4:47 PM

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.

As ChrisM mentioned, I found this report rather easy to read and I found myself cheering you on as I read it....lol.

You're a great man....in many ways. This is just another example of that. I would have quit after the pedal fell off. Inspirational stuff my friend.

Rest up....for god sakes eat something and let us know what the plans are for the future. Whatever you decide, your friends will be there supporting you....I know I will.

2011-09-15 8:22 PM

User image

Expert
Western WI

Fred, I wish I knew you in real life.  You are an inspiration not because of how fast you are (but man, are you fast) but because of how you pushed through on your worst of days.  Thank you for sharing your most humbling experience with the most honesty I've seen in a RR yet.  Enjoy your time off and remember that your daughters will know you did. not. quit.  You will be an inspiration for me, and possibly many others, when I get to that dark place.  Congrats, Fred.

2011-09-16 4:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Channahon,Illinois
Kudos and thanks for sharing.
2011-09-16 9:27 AM

User image

Master
Chicago

Fred, I don't know you personally but enjoy your comments on the threads and the advice you give.  I agree with the others that this wasn't a tough read and I did find myself hurting with you and cheering you on.  It is sometimes more beneficial to read reports from top athletes about things going wrong and how the overcame and conquered.  I look forward to you coming back to BT after your Hiatus and contributing again.  Congrats on finishing and if you learned anything from this it is that you are tough as nails.  Best of luck in the future.

Matt

2011-09-16 9:40 AM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Thank you for sharing your experience on a race that fell short of your goals. It takes a true champion to tell the tale on a day like you had. Many of us can learn from your example. Very tough to do but very worth it on so many levels. Recover well, Ironman.
2011-09-16 11:08 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Fred, I read this when you first posted it but have struggled with finding the words to say what I felt.

For me, and I think many of us here on BT, we wanted you to achieve your goal as we have watched your training and development from a FOP triathlete to a IM podium KQ contender.  As the day progressed and Ironman live updated your splits, I knew something was wrong and all of us in my family were pulling for you hoping things would improve.

You are bold for going after a very challenging goal, sharing it publicly, putting in the hard work training, preparing to have the fitness to reach your goal. As others have said I think your fitness was there, you just had a bad day.

Dark places and being tough mentally to push through something extremely painful knowing your goal has slipped away shows a depth of your determination and reflects your character.

Ironman is never easy....race day can throw at you many cruel obstacles that you have to overcome and this one had a lot.

I hope the 'wondering what the heck happened on race day' doesn't gnaw at you over time but instead you become proud of what you did and how much effort on many levels you put into finishing this IM.

I'm very proud of you and what you accomplished.

I think you have a KQ in you in you want to pursue that. My hope is that you find joy again in the sport and follow your heart where ever that takes you.

Fred you Rock!

2011-09-16 12:32 PM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

Fred,

You had a tough day out there for some reason but it certainly wasn’t because of lack of training or prep.  You’ve been an inspiration to many of us and have provided me with a ton of help and information in your mentor group.  It’s obviously painful that you didn’t reach your goals, but I'm sure you will bounce back stronger bc of this experience.  You definitely didn’t recognize me and my wife on the run when we yelled out to you (we were working the State St aid station).  You also didn’t look real good, but somehow you looked over and gave us a smile and that says a lot about your character.  Hold your head high and don’t beat yourself silly because of this race because it can happen to anyone, anytime.

2011-09-16 2:37 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Fred,

Nice, very honest race report. I know you worked extremely hard going into this race and the results did not equal the work you put in.

You have become a really complete (good at every distance) triathlete and as others have mentioned have been a huge benefit to other triathletes with your posts and training logs.

The race may not have been what you hoped for but you did the 100% best you could with what you had and did not give up, which is way harder than crushing it and having a great race. You took a shot and it did not work out but you took the shot which is what is important.

I very much look forward to more discussions with you and seeing you at future races!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Wisconsin Rss Feed  

of 3