75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

2 day event. Sep 10 and 11
Woke up at 7am, went and had breakfast supplied by the organizers. Walk around for a bit before getting my stuff ready. Was on the bike by 8 or just slightly after each morning.
Event warmup:

Meant to start our slowly as my warm-up but wasn't so succesful on day 1
Bike
  • 9h 05m
  • 125 miles
  • 13.76 mile/hr
Comments:

Rest stops were pretty well stocked and all had Bike Mechanics willing to help. Lunch stops were pretty good as well. Dinner and festivities afterward weren't too bad. Lodging was the campground area of the Fairgrounds. Wouldn't have been bad except for the trains running all night and honking their horns and the barking dogs right next door. May locate other lodging if I do it again in the future. Road conditions on day two were just awful and the course selection that day was a bit suspect.
What would you do differently?:

As usual, didn't train well enough. Really must remedy this because it makes these events that I love to do so much more difficult!
Post race
Warm down:

Slow ride once I got back in to town. Stretched a lot and drank tons of fluids. Free neck/back massages in the Beer Garden were nice. Would have loved a leg massage though, that's where I needed it most.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training.

Event comments:

Not bad, but may not do this again due to the course on Day 2 and the sleeping troubles. Also, I'm not a fan of fundraising but I thought I'd give it a try. I'd much rather just donate to someone else! I think I;d rather do STP but we will see what fits in to the training schedule next year.

Last updated: 2011-06-28 12:00 AM
Biking
09:05:00 | 125 miles | 13.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Day 1 - Left slightly later than my team so really had to push hard to catch them. Got in with a group and averaged about 23 mph for the first 15 miles which was mostly flat. Caught the team at mile 20, just after the rest stop. Stayed with them most of the way. Lots and lots of hills which were brutal. Everyone was afraid of the Deception Pass Bridge and the hills leading to it but I thought they were pretty easy going in both directions. What really kicked my ass were the multiple short but super steep hills spread throughout the course. By the end of the ride I was really paying for going out so hard in the AM. Right near the finish my right hamstring started to cramp and my right knee was sore. Stretched quite a bit before bed. Day 2- Very sore when I woke up. Spent a lot of time stretching which seemed to help. Left a little late because of it. Unfortuntaly the relief from the stretching didn't last long. Basically this entire day was a bit of a suffer fest. Had to stop every 3-5 miles to stretch again. Really wanted to make the entire 75 miles on day 2 but just didn't feel like my legs could take it. Cut it a bit short and ended up being glad I did.
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Day 1 started in Mt Vernon, crossed Deception Pass Bridge to Fidalgo Island, then down and around Whidbey Island then back to Mt. Vernon. Road conditions were pretty good overall, no bike lanes in some places. Day 2 also started in Mt Vernon then went north to Bellingham then down past Mt Vernon to some other city then back to Mt Vernon. Road conditions absolutely sucked. Old chipseal that felt like cobblestones for 80% of the ride. Headwind going both directions. Very tough day. Of course, at the very end of the ride they put this short, but insanely steep hill that caught a lot of people. Many, many had to walk it. I had to rest half way up.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 76
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard