Ironman North America
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 14h 19m 49s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Did not sleep at all well the night before. Maybe an hour of sleep. I was lying in bed with Kelly and it felt like my pulse was hammering away. I decided to check it and it was around 80. Weird, resting is usually around 50. This is the third time through the IM game and I wasn't feeling overly anxious, not sure why hr was so high. Woke up early and had some coffee and one of the best gluten free scones EVER. Kissed Kelly goodbye and walked down to drop of special needs bags and put water bottles on bike. Final pump up of tires and just walk away.
Event warmup:

I hate the slow march of the penguins down to transition somi decided to leave way early from Monona terrace. Was down at the swim start by 6:15 and just chilled for a little while waiting to get in. Found Kelly and my brother Kevin and chatted for awhile. About 6:20 I decided to get in and start treading water waiting for cannon to go off. Ended up next to Fred for the swim start and it helped pass the time talking to him.

Swim
  • 1h 13m 52s
  • 3862 meters
  • 01m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

I had hoped for a much better swim than this. I purposely started very wide hoping to get some clear water so I could find my stroke and make up lost time due to distance by swimming free. This did not work. I took so many shots on the swim I thought I was in a boxing match. I took one in the calf that still hurts right now as I type this. I heard of others who said they started right near the buoys and barely got touched. Despite not being happy with time I was still doing great and was not worried about a few lost minutes. Running into transition I see Wizzzzz right on my tail and have a little conversation with her.
What would you do differently?:

I guess I should have started in a little closer.
Transition 1
  • 09m 49s
Comments:

As most people know this is a really long transition. After the wetsuit peelers get done with you it is a long run up the helix into transition. Knocked about 4 minutes off last time so I am happy with that.

Nada
Bike
  • 6h 31m 49s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.15 mile/hr
Comments:

So here is where I make my mark. Had a real good summer of biking with several loops of the course done. Legs were feeling strong and I was ready for a great ride. Get on my bike and within seconds I know something is wrong. Bike is screaming like a skinned cat every time I apply more pressure or torque. Apparently as I was leaving the helix my brother made the comment about how something was wrong with my bike. As I was leaving I couldn't get any power and I knew something was majorly wrong. After a few minutes of eye balling it and listening to the noises I determined it was the front brake. Got off and adjusted the brake and opened it up a little. Get going again and still no power. First small hill and I can hear and feel rubbing again. Get off and mess with rear brake. As I watch people flying by me all I can think is "what the he'll is going on?". Get going again and still the rubbing continues. Eventually a guy rides up to me and we start talking about the bike. He tells me he thinks my tire is rubbing on the rear wheel cut out. I check it out Nd sure enough that is the problem. I had a set screw get bent and was causing the wheel to track all kittywompus. This was a two person fix so I waited until an aid station to get help but ended up seeing my brother first. He was with Kelly and my good friend Darrel who came to watch. I was so tired and disgusted by then that I just jumped off my bike and yelled at my brother to hold it up while I tried to fix it. This was after climbing into Mt Horeb after riding 30 miles with a rubbing tire. I only hope my support crew knows how bad I feel for not treating them better. We figured out how to get it fixed and after that off I went. Unfortunately to fix it I had to pull the wheel out and eyeball it to make sure it was even before tightening down the skewer. Without the drop out to rest on the wheel was basically floating. Eventually the wheel settled back in and started to rub again. Got off the bike and made another repair. By then I was at mile 35 and both my legs and attitude were both gone. I cranked the skewer with all my strength and decided if that wasn't good enough I was in a lot of trouble. Fortunately the fix held and the only thing holding me back was the heat and my bodies inability to deal with it.

It started to get real hot out there after the first loop and the wind picked up. I couldn't believe that I had finally got my bike fixed and now I didn't have the strength to generate any power out of my legs. The heat had shut my stomach down and I was living on Gatorade and water. By the time I was heading back on the stick I was in a real dark crappy place and really did not want to go on with the race. My back was spasming keeping me from going in the aero position, I was so hungry I couldn't see straight, and my entire body was hurting. For some reason I was craving a beer more than I ever have in my life. I am not a big drinker but for some reason that last our on the bike all I could think of was a frosty glass of beer. I think it was my body craving carbohydrates because I honestly could NOT get it out of my head. Eventually the craving moved over to a cold Coke or Mountain Dew. I just wanted sugar and carbs so bad but couldn't stomach Gatoraid anymore.

At my very worst point when I was truly ready to give it up a fellow Donkey came to my rescue. DJDavey rode up to me right around Whalen Road which is about 8 miles from the finish and we talked a bit. I must have said something to him or he sensed something because all of a sudden he just goes off on me about how we were going to finish and I just needed to Donkey The F@&$ Up. Since he didn't appear to be ready to end his tirade soon I decided I had better kick it down and ride away from him. It was exactly what I needed at the time and I greatly appreciated him being there for me when I needed a kick in the ass. Donkeys-Ass, get it? Never mind.

So I did finish the bike and manage to get through transition. This was by far the worst experience on my bike I have ever had and was grateful to hand it over to the bike catchers.

I don't even know. Should have checked bike over better but it seemed pretty good the day before.
Transition 2
  • 08m 28s
Comments:

Didn't care about speed anymore. Just focused on moving through transition and not letting quitting enter my mind.
Run
  • 6h 15m 51s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 14m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew this would be bad. I didn't think it could be this bad. Saw my fan base coming out of T2 and I didn't know what to say. Go watch a movie and grab some dinner seemed appropriate but I wasn't sure it would burn enough time. Still just seeing them made life so much better as I went by. Got out on the run course and told myself to take it easy. I had not eaten anything solid since mile 56 on the bike and didn't for see the ability to get anything down now. Wanted to try running for 4 minutes and walking for 1 minute at a very easy pace. Sadly this was not going to happen. Every time I started to run stomach went crazy. I kept thinking eff you stomach. What are you going to throw up? Nothing is in there. Instead I was given major cramps. At the State street turn around after 6.5 miles I knew Kelly and Kevin would be waiting for me. I just kept thinking how bored they must be waiting and waiting. After almost an hour and a half I finally made it and when I saw then I almost broke down. I was just so physically and mentally exhausted I couldn't imagine moving on and I dint know how to say it without disappointing them. In that quick moment before actually reaching them I decided I would finish even if I had to crawl. I had one DNF before and it took me a long time to get past it. I had notes that I had written for both of them just saying thank you and a few other things. Unfortunately I couldn't find them because my mind was gone. I had a race belt with a pocket and a small pocket in my running shorts. Where else could it be. So I left them behind without giving my notes of thanks and knew I would see them in another 6 miles or so. After half an hour I did find the notes in my pocket and had to laugh at how badly we can lose it sometimes. Eventually fellow Donkeys Chris and Clint were walking at a slightly faster pace than me and they caught up to me. We walked together for a long time and it did make the miles go by faster. Eventually the sun set and in the darkness it was just me, the miles ahead, and shadows in the night wishing you good luck. I tried to run off and on again but the extreme dizziness, hunger and nausea told me the only way I was going to finish was walking.

After 6:15 I finally came to the of another IM run. As I started to jog the final mile I said to hell with everything I am going to finish this the way I want. I started running and as I saw all those smiling cheering faces I couldn't help smiling also. I gave some fist pumps and possibly busted out a double bicep pose for the crowd and heard those magical words as I crossed the finish line "Bryan Logue from New Prague Minnesota YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!

As I crossed several things crossed my mind. The first was redemption. My DNF in 2009 never sat well with me and I needed this. My second was elation, gratitude and a sense of accomplishment. Those things were not there in 2008 when I finished. I don't know why, maybe I was too immature back then to respect what I had accomplished. Finally I had an overwhelming need to find Kelly and Kevin. I was and am so appreciative of the long day they went through and I wanted to thank them. Kelly went through a lot during this round of IM training as did my awesome kids Aly and Nik.

I played the cards I was dealt and don't regret the outcome.
Post race
Warm down:

Found Kelly and Kevin after the best finish line catchers in the world took care of me. Once again it was a fellow Donkey. Thank you so much. Walked the few blocks back to the hotel and took an ice bath and then a warm shower. Crazy thing was I didn't have a problem with the ice bath until after a warm shower. Body just kind of went into shock and I started shivering so bad my whole body locked up. Kelly got me under every blanket in the hotel room and eventually the shivers stopped. This was actually pretty scary and I was glad she was around to help out. Ended up walking back down to the race and watching the last two hours of the race. So inspirational to see the last finishers come in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weather and mechanical issues.

Event comments:

I still love this race but believe I will be taking a hiatus for awhile. During the race I swore off IM racing, but you know how that goes. I will more than likely do the distance again, just not sure it will be Madison. Can't wait to come back next year as a spectator and volunteer. I want to thank The Donkai Nation for all they did. The friends I have met have been incredible and it was so helpful to see them so often in the course. My friends Darrel and Heidi Barlage who drove all the way to Madison the morning of the race to see this crazy event. Of course my brother Kevin for taking off work and spending so much time on the course. Finally Kelly, Aly and Nik. Without all they do for me and all their support I could not do this. I love you guys.

Last updated: 2011-01-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:13:52 | 3862 meters | 01m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: double loop
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 09:49
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:31:49 | 112 miles | 17.15 mile/hr
Performance: Bad
Wind: Some
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 08:28
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:15:51 | 26.2 miles | 14m 21s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-09-13 7:12 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: Ironman Wisconsin

2011-09-13 7:23 PM
in reply to: #3685114

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin
Way to overcome a lot of adversity! You perservered and that's what counts!
2011-09-13 8:05 PM

User image

Master
Living in the past
Well done, Bryan. You surely exemplified all that it is to be a donkey. Congratulations, you two-timing....
2011-09-13 8:49 PM

User image

Expert
Wind Lake WI
Well done on a hot day. I saw you coming out of T2 and it looked like you rolled in flour you were so covered with salt.

Nice job! Always a pleasure to see you and Kelly.
2011-09-13 9:03 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

CONGRATULATIONS, BRYAN!!!

Glad you continued on and talked with me those couple of times I saw you out there!

YOU. ARE. AN. IRONMAN!

2011-09-13 9:07 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI
Ehhh  bummer of a day... too bad there was no brat sale at Walgreens... I think that is what you needed!

I am glad you finished.... its hard to quit when you have the people who put up with your all summer following supporting and waiting for you all day.

So I am likely signing up for FL in Nov.... you know just an FYI

Congrats Bryan

2011-09-14 7:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greendale, WI

Nice job Bryan!!  Way to DTFU, dig deep and finish it out!  It was great seeing you out there and chatting with you here and there!  Way to go Ironman!

2011-09-14 11:22 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
This is an awesome race report. Brings tears to my eyes. Congratulations to you and your family on this great finish.
2011-09-14 11:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN

After volunteering for my 2nd year in a row and watching my son finish, I feel I understand a little more about everything that goes into a race of this distance.  I too got a little choked up reading your great race report and I hardly know you Bryan.   All these race reports and others experiences will definitely help me as I embark on my IMWI 2012 journey. 

Congrats, Bryan!  You earned the right to be called an IRONMAN once again.    

2011-09-14 11:50 AM

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin
Congrats Bryan!! Tough day but you made it yours! Awesome!
2011-09-14 12:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Overland Park, Kansas
Wow you did have a tough day Bryan but you finished! Nice seeing you and Kelly!

2011-09-14 1:49 PM

User image

Elite
West Allis, WI
Way to go Bryan! It was great seeing you.
2011-09-14 2:11 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-09-14 4:55 PM
in reply to: #3686525

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
It sounds like Ironman is a endless series of hard lessons.  I am so glad that you finished AND got something out of it.   Congrats! 
2011-09-14 8:21 PM

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Tough day, for sure. I'm so glad that you were able to finish it the way you had wanted to. That's what makes us stronger is to find a way to get through those bad spots. About the shivers after your shower, same thing happened to Jeremy. He was fine, then a bit wobbly on the walk back to the hotel. After a shower, he was so cold that I just piled all the blankets on him. I think (for him at least) it was a salt problem. No way to know, just my (uneducated) guess.
2011-09-14 9:42 PM

Veteran
Germantown, WI
Nice job Donkey. You definately had issues but you overcame them to make it to the finish. Finishing is what counys and you did it.  You are (again) an Ironman!

2011-09-15 11:13 AM

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Great report Bryan and congrats on sticking with it to finish!  Nice seeing you down there. 
2011-09-15 7:33 PM

Master
Lexington, KY

Excellent race and RR Bryan - I was laughing out loud at a couple points.  

Glad I got to meet you in Madison.

2011-09-15 8:12 PM

Veteran
Chicago and therabouts
Way to battle and not give in. I hear you with the thought of not respecting what you've allready accompished. I took it for a given that i would improve this year as i had on my last two. I am now more respectful of the day. There are just SO MANY things that can happen mentally, physically, for the weather, to equipment, as well as our interactions with each other on the course! You had some of the worst (your bike, weather) and the best (your own internal fortitude, Donkai Nation to help pull you through). Congrats on hanging in there through it all. I hope you have now finally enjoyed that BEER!

Veteran
Chicago and therabouts
Way to battle and not give in. I hear you with the thought of not respecting what you've allready accompished. I took it for a given that i would improve this year as i had on my last two. I am now more respectful of the day. There are just SO MANY things that can happen mentally, physically, for the weather, to equipment, as well as our interactions with each other on the course! You had some of the worst (your bike, weather) and the best (your own internal fortitude, Donkai Nation to help pull you through). Congrats on hanging in there through it all. I hope you have now finally enjoyed that BEER!

Veteran
Chicago and therabouts

2011-09-15 8:36 PM

Expert
Western WI

sounds like one of those days...but your RR speaks volumes of your determination and fight.  Congrats on pushing through - and i think it's awesome that you supported late finishers too!!  Thanks for sharing!

2011-09-15 8:38 PM

Master
Waukesha, WI
Good job out there Bryan.  Congrats on another IM. 
2011-09-16 7:36 AM
in reply to: #3688732

Master

Solid race, Bryan! 

I also swore off IM during the bike portion of the race, but inexplicably was thinking "maybe I can finish in the daytime next year" during the run.  ; )  You just never know.

Best wishes for whatever you decide to tackle next!

2011-09-16 7:58 AM

Elite
san francisco
Tremendous determination and toughness. Bryan, you are one strong fighter, a true Ironman. Thank you for sharing your day.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Wisconsin Rss Feed  

of 2