Overall Rank = 166/428
Age Group = 35-39M
Age Group Rank = 33/73
Pre-race routine:

Race goals (first HIM):
Break 6hrs
No walking
Calculated ideal finish = 5hrs 34min

Stayed at the Knights Inn just on the outskirts of Sandusky along route 6. Nice stay - relatively quiet and within 10min drive to the park.

Woke up to my alarm at 5:45am. Showered then ate breakfast = small cup of coffee, 2 breakfast bars and granola cereal (dry no milk). Made sure I drank a few glasses of water.

Made my way into the park with no issues and arrived at around 6:30 or so.
Event warmup:

Setup my transition....shocked that there was so much room once I had all my stuff in order (Rev3 uses wooden bike holders with nice and uniform spacing). Grabbed my wetsuit, goggles and cap, then hit the portajohn. It was a beautiful morning and the walk to the swim start along the beach was fantastic. They were running about 8 minutes behind so I had plenty of time to get in the water and warm up.
Swim
  • 39m 12s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim was one of my most comfortable ever. We trudged through the notorious black sludge and then I kept to the outside once we were swimming until things thinned out a bit. It was very easy to see the bouys, water temp was perfect for the sleeveless wetsuit, bilateral breathing was comfortable and my rhythm felt great - so not much to say here.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure I would change a thing. This was a very comfortable pace and before I realized it, I was rounding the last bouy towards the home stretch.
Transition 1
  • 03m 19s
Comments:

Really lucked out here as my bike rack was on the end of the row, along the central path of the transition area. Maybe one of the best locations in the entire setup.

First time using the wetsuit strippers - all I have to say is thank you! It almost felt like cheating since I usually really struggle to get the thicker shin sections over my ankles. No problem this time though, they just yanked that thing right off me - chip strap stayed on as well.

Was able to get all my gear on for the bike without issue but had trouble getting all my food in the pockets of my jersey. This took a few extra seconds, but not a huge loss.

Run to the bike mount was easy with shoes on and then I missed locking into my right cleat so had to go coast very slowly without stopping. Waited to put gloves on after I was down the street a bit.

Shoes locked into pedals to start.
Bike
  • 2h 47m 8s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.10 mile/hr
Comments:

This felt to me really quite easy. At no time was I pushing hard - but the resulting speed was higher. For sure an ave. pace PR at 56miles (garmin had it at closer to 57). Most of the roads were typical rough Ohio surfaces, just like training.

There were small pockets of spectators along the course cheering us along. By the way, what a great turnout of people in the town of Milan - you folks really rock for coming out.

Nutrition was right on plan; 1.5 powerbars + 2 gels + 2bottles of gatorade + 1 bottle of H2O.........right around 720 calories for 3hrs (240 calories per hour).

Tried to conserve some energy with about 5 miles to go. It seemed like there was mass drafting on the way back into the park from about the bridge over the railroad back in. It was difficult to keep any rhythm because it seemed the same people would draft past - I would slow out of the draft zone - then I would end up passing them again. Almost like interval training but not nearly at the intensity. I attribute this to the course layout, several turns with no section much longer than 5 miles.

Not a thing, except for conserve some more energy for the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Felt great to be back in the park as I wanted to kill the run. Really was feeling prime. This was a straightforward transition - no secrets, just change shoes and go!

Nada.
Run
  • 2h 05m 36s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

I didnt see this one coming. Started out running really strong with pace around 7:40 per mile. All my bricks were at this pace. Felt great and was even able to hold a conversation. Average pace was under 8min/mile through the first half. Took on water and gatorade alternating at each aid station. Took a gel around mile 5 or 6 with H2O.

At mile 7 I could feel things going downhill really fast. By mile 8 I was walking the aid stations..had to stop to pee at the aid station. Somewhere after that but before mile 10 I started cramping in my left calf. Just before mile 11 my right quad seized up then left calf did the same - vicious cycle of compensating. The rest of the run was a mix of running until I cramped, hobbling through as much as I could (pretending to run past it) then slowing to a walk until cramping stopped. Rinse and repeat. At the crest of the small hill on the causeway, I was able to get some momentum down the back side and continue slow running into the last aid station. I was able to very slow jog/trot for the last mile into the finish.

Thanks to Team RWB for providing flags to those interested in carrying one down the finish chute.

Not sure, this was truly dissapointing as my goal was to run the entire course. Maybe salt tabs on the last portion of the bike? Hydration was good as I had to pee at about mile 8 on the run. Same thing happened (cramps) during the last few miles of my Marathon in January. Perplexing.

I should probably add a couple of workouts at 5 hours plus to get salt/electrolytes dialed in. Maybe 3.5hr bike plus 1.5hr run. I do know that I have a very high sweat rate, which I thought I planned accordingly (guess not).

Post race
Warm down:

Continued moving to avoid cramping, while drinking gatorade and muscle milk. Walked for about 20min then was able to get some food at the pavillion.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

At this point I dont know and can only guess. Maybe I started out too fast after the bike, too much energy on the bike, salt tabs - but either way I wasn't far from my training paces.

I am pleased with 5:36:23 for my first HIM but will look forward to my next race at this distance - I think I have the potential to go sub 5:30 if I can figure out the right pacing with nutrition.

Event comments:

Great race, fantastic volunteers, spacious transitions, plenty of aid stations, organized crew and nice swag (shortsleeve shirt, longsleeve finisher shirt, headsweats visor, TYR bag, finisher medal).

Last updated: 2010-11-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:12 | 2112 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 28/73
Overall: 156/428
Performance: Average
Suit: QR UltraJohn
Course: Quadrilateral shaped course with shoreline at one side (close to a rhombus). Out towards NW then E then back to the shore SE.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:19
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:47:08 | 56 miles | 20.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 30/73
Overall: 162/428
Wind: Little
Course: Through the East side of Sandusky then up towards Milan. Heading E on River towards Berlin then back to the N and to the park.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:05:36 | 13.1 miles | 09m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 33/73
Overall: 166/428
Performance: Bad
1 - 7.35 2 - 7.39 3 - 7.50 4 - 8.00 5 - 8.11 6 - 8.53 7 - 9.22 8 - 11.23 9 - 10.54 10 - 11.25 11 - 11.47 12 - 11.58 13 - 10.23
Course: Across the CP Causeway past the marina district and along the water front to Sandusky - a few down and back on the streets then back to the Park.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-09-13 8:24 PM

User image

Veteran
OHIO south of Dayton
Subject: Revolution3 Half Ironman

2011-09-13 11:08 PM
in reply to: #3685243

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
Subject: RE: Revolution3 Half Ironman
Great time for your first crack - just what I need more local guys my age to deny me any chance of getting in the top ranks
2011-09-14 10:43 PM
in reply to: #3685243

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: RE: Revolution3 Half Ironman
Fantastic race out there--almost right on your calculated time and faster than your goal! Sub 5:30 is definitely something you can accomplish! The first one out the gate is always a trial and error event! Way to go!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Revolution3 Half Ironman Rss Feed