General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hard workout benefit Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-14 5:55 AM

User image

Regular
Long Island
Subject: Hard workout benefit
When you complete a hard workout and then your walking around like you have a pineapple up the butt, is it bad to do another workout at that time? I know another easy activity can aide in the recovery, but if you do a moderate workout afterwards do you erase the benifit of the hard workout? Do you need to complete healing from the hard workout before another effort to get the total benefit of the hard effort, or will you still keep the positive gains from your hard effort?

2011-09-14 6:33 AM
in reply to: #3685507

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Hard workout benefit
You can't "erase" the benefits of a workout done by doing another workout, but you can prolong the recover period needed to get the benefit of the hard workout.

Most AG triathletes are crunched for time (after all, we do have a job as well...) which means that all available time is used for training, putting time for recovery pretty far down the totem pole...

Active recovery does help as you increase the blood flow to the muscles, allowing them to heal. Also, try to get an extra hour of sleep the night after a hard workout, you will be surprised how much of a difference that makes for you muscles (shouldn't surprise anyone... we do heal the most when we sleep...)
2011-09-14 6:42 AM
in reply to: #3685507

New user

Cleveland
Subject: RE: Hard workout benefit

I agree with the above. "Active recovery" does help a great deal in recovery by increasing flexibility and maintaining blood flow to the muscles (removes metabolic waste, brings in oxygen and glucose), but the harder you push during recovery, the less like recovery and the more like a workout it becomes, which means you need even more time to recover afterwards. Just be careful and make sure you don't injure yourself.

A really great resource for you might be The Time Crunched Triathlete by Chris Carmicheal. He gives a lot of advice on how to get the most out of a limited time schedule (for the everyday working shmoes like you and me).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hard workout benefit Rss Feed