REVOLUTION3 Triathlon
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 44m 13s
Overall Rank = 353/428
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 72/81
Pre-race routine:

Arrived on Saturday afternoon, stayed at Hotel Breakers (race hotel). Picked up race info on Saturday afternoon, put the bike in transition, and then met up with some fellow BT'ers. Woke up at 6a after "decent" pre-race sleep since midnight. Wandered down to transition via the beach, taking in the smooth, calm waters of the lake.
Event warmup:

Cup of coffee and Clif Bar in the hotel room, then a bottle of water and a Gu Roctane pre-swim.
Swim
  • 1h 00m 48s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

A very slow swim, but I knew my swim would be this way. I was spot on my goal (1 hr) and managed to swim without resting, varying mostly between freestyle and breast stroke, with a little bit of side swim.
What would you do differently?:

I knew this would be a slow swim, given the amount of training and experience I have in this area. I was happy to not be the last out of the water, and happy to be able to beat the swim cut-off with time to spare. Obviously an area for me to work on during the off-season. Probably time to look for a Master's swim class.
Transition 1
  • 03m 35s
Comments:

Ran up the beach from the water, rinsed off, and took advantage of the wetsuit strippers. Hopped to my feet relatively quickly, picked up my suit and headed in to the bike. Dried feet, socks, shoes, glasses, helmet and shuffled out to the mount line. Stationary mount and I was off...

Purposely slow and deliberate, so next time, I will pick up the pace a little more.
Bike
  • 3h 09m 20s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.75 mile/hr
Comments:

Mechanics on the bike were good, but shoulders were sore from the start (was this the swim or hotel bed?) that had me shifting from the drops to aero and back. Pace was good for the first 36 miles, then I started to develop knots and cramps in the legs, thighs, then calves. Overal speed dropped off in the last 20 miles.

Nutrition plan on the bike was off. I had a plan, but didn't follow it closely. I didn't want the Clif bar on the bike (too hot?) so I had to make due with Gu and electrolytes, so definitely not enough intake. Sangged a water and a Gatorade at the aid stations. the Gatorade definitely helped with the leg cramps but I was too far behind on my fuel plan to get the speed back. I was shooting for a sub 3-hr ride, but fell just a little short here.
Transition 2
  • 02m 40s
Comments:

Standing dismount at the line, didn't want to risk a cramp on a running dismount. Kept the bike socks on with the running shoes, picked up fuel belt and hat and I was on the way. Again, deliberate transition, definitely can pick up the pace next time.

I had running socks laid out, but didn't switch. I didn't want to risk a leg cramp by staying still too long. This cost me a bit of irritation on the back of the ankles, but it really didn't slow me down (this time). It would have cost on a longer run. So next time, better socks on the bike or take the time to switch.
Run
  • 2h 27m 50s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Being behind on my nutrition plan off the bike, I knew there was little I could do at this point to recover the lost time or even maintain my goal of a 2-hr half marathon. I just could not get the legs to turn over fast enough. Lots of water/ice/gatorade at the aid stations, but soon the goal transitioned to "finish mode"

Train more longer distance to develop a better nutrition plan I can stick with on the bike to better prep myself to run the way I want to.
Post race
Warm down:

Chugged a full Muscle Milk (which I desperately needed), walked to stretch the legs, a quick bite of the poor post-race food, before heading back to the hotel to shower, change, and enjoy a frosty beverage before going out to enjoy a nice Mexican meal, which included a nice shot of Cabo for conquering the 70.3

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of quality distance training in all 3 disciplines. I knew what I had to do, but L-I-F-E and J-O-B cramped the plan a bit. Also need to take the opportunity to draft a better nutrition plan for the bike that will keep me on target, and better prepped for the run. Overall, very happy with my first 70.3 race!

Event comments:

Excellent job by the Rev3 Team! Race support and volunteers were definitely top-notch! Finish line activities were great. My only critiques were the layout of the run course, and the poor post-race food. The run course would cause me to hesitate on another race at Cedar Point but I was very pleased with Rev3 overall and will be looking at their other races next year.

Last updated: 2011-06-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:00:48 | 2112 yards | 02m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 76/81
Overall: 389/428
Performance: Below average
Suit: Xterra Full
Course: Rectangular course, clockwise. Calm waters for a big lake, but a small bit of a current to fight on the way out. But that same current aided on the way in.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:35
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:09:20 | 56 miles | 17.75 mile/hr
Age Group: 75/81
Overall: 380/428
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Relatively flat with some rollers, road conditions were relatively good. Some poor roads in town, but these were last minute changes to the course due to incomplete bridge construction so Rev3 did the best they could. One area of milled road out in the country made for some rough riding on this out and back course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:40
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:27:50 | 13.1 miles | 11m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 72/81
Overall: 353/428
Performance: Average
Course: This was one of my least favorite running courses for a half marathon. Judging by the comments of others, I am not the only one to feel this way. An out and back course from Cedar Point to Sandusky. Road conditions were questionable in some spots and might be a challenge in the evening hours. There were 3 "fingers" as you ran up and down several city blocks in downtown Sandusky. This was very monotonous, and my biggest critique of the course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-09-14 2:26 PM

User image

Subject: Rev3 Cedar Point - Half Rev

2011-09-14 10:21 PM
in reply to: #3686553

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: RE: Rev3 Cedar Point - Half Rev

Great first Half-Iron, Dean! Was so great to meet you and Danielle and so glad to have you both as part of the team. I enjoyed being with y'all before the swim and having y'all around at the end of race day!! Look forward to hearing about your marathon adventures over the next couple of months!

Well done, and happy recovery!

2011-09-15 7:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Welcome to the 70.3 club! I know you didn't have the race that you hoped for time wise but a 70.3 is an impressive achievement. It was awesome sharing that experience with you. Thanks for always being my favorite training partner. I'm really proud of you!
2011-09-15 8:26 AM

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
You probably learned alot with the first race and all but from reading the report you already have mastered the post race meal and drinking skills. Some people never get to that level fun fun. great job and thanks for the post race h2o
2011-09-15 1:00 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

You did a fantastic job!  It's mentally tough knowing something went wrong then having to finish in a different "mode" than you started.  But you succeeded!!!!!!  You didn't quit!!!  I look forward to racing with you and the other BTers again!!!!

2011-09-15 6:23 PM

User image

Thanks, everyone! I definitely had a blast racing my first 70.3 and it was even cooler that I was able to do it with Team RWB and a bunch of tri friends from BT. The pre-race and post-race meals were great as well!

2011-09-17 9:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Impressive performance for your first HIM, especially with the adversity you experienced out there. Way to hang in there and get it done. Congrats!!
2011-10-07 2:27 PM
in reply to: #3690857

User image

DLaw - 2011-09-17 10:43 PM Impressive performance for your first HIM, especially with the adversity you experienced out there. Way to hang in there and get it done. Congrats!!

Thanks!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Cedar Point - Half Rev Rss Feed