Ironman North America
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 14m 27s
Overall Rank = 1082/
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 171/
Pre-race routine:

Gonna document this for next time..Didnt blog much on BT this time around. Life was just too busy but this is the best way to get on "paper" my thoughts and issues that happend with this race. Definitley NOT the race i planned/trained for the last 6 months.

This was race #3 for me. Third time. And made some more concrete goals and spoke louder about them. Prolly not a good idea but if u dont put it down its a dream right?

Running has never been better. More injury free then ever due prolly to new custom fit bike.
Bike training down but felt holding aero for the whole ride would make it = or better than last time
Counting on my swimming background, a year of waterpolo, and more open water swims to get me thru.

Training consistency up and down but more consistent last 6-8 weeks.
Fitness though overall prolly never been better.

Then 3 weeks ago, things have gotten a bit more difficult in the Topin family. Without getting to specific, you live and die through your kids right. When things aint right with them, life isnt right. Had this been going on last year, would have revised the plan, but needless to say, this race was for them and specifically for my son. That run i was gonna finish strong and nail it for him. He was my reason and what would give me focus.

Friday relaxed with college friends (went to Madison) and watchem them drink up and down state street. I drank water and peed a lot.

Friday night saw Chris, Laura, reaquainted with the Schmidts, met Fred and his wife at athletes dinner.

Saturday took family.friends out to dinner at eldorado to thank them for their support.
Event warmup:

Got up 4:30. Right next to site so didnt have to walk far...snoozed a tiny bit. Bad choice. Scrambled for a while which i never do. Im usually all set with gear/marking/bike set up by 5:15 and i can just chill! Seemed to be a LOT MORE PEOPLE around. Dropped of SN bags, got my much anticipated Americano at SB. Got body marked, and made way to the bike. Tires pumped, gearing set, aero topped off, infinit in...but took a bit. Went to Transition bags, placed last minute items, etc. Freaked out about 10 times about missing stuff, but was actually in them or in the SN bags where they were supposed to be (felt like a newbie at times), then walked to bike path to chill before family would get there. But...there was Beck and Madison. B4 6am and they are allready there. Very cool except for not being able to have my moment of Zen before the race with the coffee and music and some silence....but if not gonna have that, next best thing is being with the fam. Relaxed a bit, tallked with Beck and Madison. Missed Maya not being there (daughter) who we left at home with grandparents so she wouldnt miss her play rehearsals. Saw Fred and his wife and we chatted a bit. Then time to suit up and get in the water!
Swim
  • 1h 04m 57s
  • 3862 meters
  • 01m 41s / 100 meters
Comments:

Again, i decided to swim extra to avoid the scrum. Started wide of the ramp, 2nd row. People were again not seeded accurately. People in front of me aiming for 1:10, people behind 1 hr. First 200 still some people on my legs, climbing over my back. Annoying more than anything. finally got some clear water, and tried to get a rhythm. Siting was pretty good but took that first bouy wide because of SO many people at packed there. Drafted here and there and after first loop, watch said 30 min.....sweet...felt good. Tried to move a little closer to a tight line along buouys but again, just wanted to keep my rhythm. On the return part of the rectangle...made a rookie mistake that cost me a minute or so.. Though it was last buouy and cut to head to shore...WRONG.. Not last one...cut right into people swimming straight away. Did a quick kick and flip to right myself and both quads cramped up immediately. switched to my back and relaxed and they loosened up pretty quick and then watched as about 20 swimmers blew by me..Started back up again and worked my way back in to shore. Saw time was 1:04 about same time as 2 yrs ago...Ran up slowly the helix(worried about cramps and into t1)
What would you do differently?:

1. decide if this is still best strategy to swim extra to avoid scrum
2. not turn in for shore when its not time yet.
Transition 1
  • 07m 12s
Comments:

wanted to be a bit quicker. Think im slow up the helix.
socks and shoes on ok. helmet, glasses on pretty good. Fast-air in back pocket...wlll secure to bike next time. a swig of infinit and was off. Skipped sunscreen. Volunteer had trouble unracking my bike. Seat doesnt fit under bar so they have to tilt the bike sideways to do it...but bikes were still racked on both sides so they get tentative. I helped them and was off!

not much
Bike
  • 6h 29m 55s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.23 mile/hr
Comments:

Well...this is where things all changed. Even before the crash made a serious mistake in my pacing and was kicking myself the last 20-30 miles...but i digress.

This is my weakness the bike. Not enough time to train appropriately. NEW bike though this year. Able to hold aero now and figure that would help with my performance as the last two times im upright for the last 3 hrs. Really want to improve on my 6:19 in 2009. I really felt it was in me.

Started out with legs feeling crummy. Tight, and not so great..Usual for me after swim. On the stick out, AGAIN..getting passed like im standing still, despite going 19 mph. HR high in 140's but not too worried yet. feels ok. Watts 140's or so... Sip some water.

Plan...ez 30 min
low z2 up to 35 miles.
mid z2 35-77
high z2 low z3 last stretch, avoid high watt spikes on hills.

So had trouble right away getting hr down. Really didnt see below 130's but RPE seemed ok and watts seemed to gradually get lower and lower. Figured my hr was just off today and went more by watts and RPE (BIG MISTAKE).
Stuck to nutrition plan...worked GREAT. Infinit 2bl strength..plus carbo pro for 900 cal bottle. lots of Na. 1/3 bottle every hr, plus shot block for 400 cal/hr, Aero bottle up front for h20. ate every 15 minutes on the dot. Didnt get bloated, full ,relfux etc. probably overhydrated a bit...had to stop x2 (WTF?) to pee. Kind of irritating.

So for the first 70 miles or so, im getting passed left and right, my ego taking a pounding. Somethings not rigth between my hr and watts. Second loop is harder, with a lot more wind and heat....finally figure it out...never calibrated/recalibrated the quark...calibrate and my watts appear to jump up...I think the change in temp over those hrs messed with the calibration. And yes....i overdid the first 70 miles of the bike.
So now i really dial it back, hr in low z2, watts 140's, im beating myself up and thinking im screwed for the run......After a few miles though, ive had enough with the negative mental talk and figure, no use assuming...lets see what happens out there....

at about 109 mile mark...everything kind of changed. Just crossing over the highway b4 the alliant center i hit something while in aero (wonder what would have happened on old bike where i would have been upright) pothole, rough spot, whatever...i go down. Garmin says i was going 26 b4 the fall. Im laying on my back, head hit road twice (thank you helmet). Bit of pain but not sure whats actually hurt. Cop is right there...radios ambulance/ paramedics. they are there in a minute..and im cant believe it....its over...im done...I wiped out..my race is over. Im pissed, angry, in pain, literally fighting back tears...Then another biker goes down behind me from same spot...he's ok but tire isnt. So i start thinking, why is this over...nothing is broken on me. The paramedics are wrapping up my hand (didnt wear bike gloves...big mistake)...a few skin flaps are there and knuckles are all bleeding bad. They clear me. The police officer bent my derailler back into place. The wheels look ok....so i get back on and for the next 3 miles or so start dealing with a range of emotions...6 months....i had some pretty specific goals for this race...all gone.... My back and neck are now hurting, im beings passed by everyone as im going about 10 mph with the bike squeaking. Ive got a pounding headache and my right shoulder doesnt appear to have much skin there...but..i can ride, and I can walk, and i havent ruled out running yet...My friends and family are all here. They put up with a lot while a trained...and they didnt come here to see my DNF. I think of the firefighter who is gonna run in full gear...in this heat...50-80# on him! He's not gonna give up. And its 9/11...how can you not help but think people didnt just stop and give up..and turn back...they kept going...and my son...he keeps going and battling. so im gonna keep going.......

not let ego get in the way
pace correctly and calibrate powermeter

not fall
Transition 2
  • 07m 35s
Comments:

saw Birkierunner at bike dismout.
Schmize was in t2..saw me..got some words of encouragement.
Medical looked at me....nothing really for them to do.
Volunteer helped me get stuff out of bag..couldnt really grab anything at this point with my hands. too bloody and not much skin on tips of fingers.

Time in t2 actually not all that bad considering...

Run
  • 5h 24m 48s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

so..first i wanted becky to know i was ok. They had athlete tracker so i was worried they were gonna see me not moving for 10 min. Saw Beck right at the run out...let her know i was essentially ok. Was gonna give this a shot...told her to let people know not to stick around. My finish time was not going to be around 7pm like i had hoped. Saw my coach, nice surprise. Reminded me to keep drinking...

Started out easy..just to see what hurt. Back was kind of tight, and big headache. Took 800 of motrin in transition and wanted that to kick in. Started out slow and worked up the pace. Looked like 10 min miles (hoping for 8:45-9:15 pace). Then, problems began....uphills and downhills. My back would kind of sieze up under my left scapula and couldnt really breath deep. Had to walk those. So now the plan was walk anything not flat and aid stations...so holding 10-12 min/mile, got through observatory hill/bascomb, then hit state street. God, i love st. street. Then energy, kids, all wanting to high five.. ( a bit of a problem as my fingers were bleeding and cut up) but started to hit 8:40 pace, hr climbed into appropriate zone. Its a flat stretch then out to picnic point and finally able to get a rhythm going. Held this for the next few miles and then turned around to go back to capitol. There are some uphill parts again, which threw me off my game again..Figured out downhills by throwing shoulders backward, could keep away that pleuritic pain, muscle spasm. Hit the turnaround and decided to get more aggressive with hydration and nutrition since i wanted to try and be more aggressive with running. Cooling with sponges was a problem as the water was aggravating all my road rash so only able to put on my head and coulndt wipe down my arms to cool off. Anyways, tried to keep up some sort of game plan. My hamstrings started to have some problems. They were on the verge of spasm. Made a BAD choice and took some chips (2-3 ) for the salt and immediatley started having cramps..(im an idiot). With 6 miles to go, wanted to make a final push...dig deep, show my son, family we dont give up when its hard. You dont walk away...a lot of cliches...but the last 4 miles were problematic. Cramps in hamstrings, stomach pissed at me for the chips, back spasm behind my scapula, and it was mostly walking....but finishing. My catchers made me go to the med tent. I told them there was nothing they can do.. Ive worked in the med tent b4...we dont do cuts and abrasions..but they were adament and didnt want to act like a jerk. the med tent then told me they dont do cuts/abrasions.. frankly was happy cause i didnt really want to do anything with them. The thougt of my future cleaning the road rash up was something i wanted to put off for a while.

not eat potato chips and stick to my salt tab
Post race
Warm down:

got some food, Peter got bandages/gauze and some vicodin!!! Tried to clean up the wounds...hurt more than the whole run. Couldnt shower...just went to bed. Tried to process what it was that i did and did not do...what this all means...why i do this.

Event comments:

Ive had a little bit of time to think, reflect. Back home and dealing with active family issues in between dressing changes for the wounds.. Thats all they are...just a flesh wound.. Not really that big of a deal. I didnt break anything, battle through delerium, uncontrollable vomiting, dangerously low Na levels...just scrapes...just skin...it stings...but no pun intended...its superficial..I ran/walked a painful marathon..thats all i proved to myself. I didnt quit when it got hard, but im not sure i truly overcame any major obstacles. I lived up to what ive watched my son do..not give up when things are bad/tough...but truthfully that is what most parents do right?

Why are these things important?

Now i need to figure out why I do these things...why this IM distance is important to me. Why i want to train that way. The "journey" has been important and enjoyable although the balance has always been a challenge.Why do I try to balance high maintenance kids, bzy job with weekend calls, battle through chronic/overuse injuries to do one, ONE triathlon a year...and make it an all or none deal. I do like the journey, the challenge, the focus. I dont like the time committment, the toll on family and kids.

2012 will be time to reflect again. Focus on family, friends. Play some waterpolo, drink some beer. Do some 10k's and get a little faster. Try some sprints/olympics...maybe a 1/2....but relax, have some fun. Volunteer in 2012 and reassess again if i want to do this all again....

Last updated: 2011-04-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:04:57 | 3862 meters | 01m 41s / 100meters
Age Group: 35/
Overall: 240/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: rectangle x 2
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 07:12
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:29:55 | 112 miles | 17.23 mile/hr
Age Group: 158/
Overall: 895/
Performance:
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: stick, 2 loops, stick back in
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 07:35
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:24:48 | 26.2 miles | 12m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 171/
Overall: 1082/
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-09-14 8:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago and therabouts
Subject: Ironman Wisconsin

2011-09-14 10:10 PM
in reply to: #3687095

Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin
  I remember that bump in the road and was surprised it wasn't repaired for a race like this.  I know that all the time spent training and to have something like this happen sucks, but to crash on your bike and still finish an ironman is impressive. 
2011-09-15 11:03 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Great effort Jeremy!  It was nice to see you when I was spectating at SN dropoff early that morning.  Got worried when I was at the run start and saw all of your scrapes...I think you looked back when I yelled encouragement in the chute.  Way to overcome that nasty spill.  Rest up and come back in 2013!  Congrats
2011-09-15 12:03 PM

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin
Great job Ironman!! Sorry about the bike crash! Nice chatting with you at the expo
2011-09-15 1:19 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Great job pushing through the run given the bike crash.  I am sure your son will remember your fortitude for a very long time.  It was a tough day for all of us, but you showed the meaning of being an IM.  Rest up, come back....IM MOO will be waiting.
2011-09-15 9:35 PM

User image

Elite
Your race report was a great read. Whatever is going on with your children is sure to be easier for them with such a solid parent. You talk about superficial wounds and how they are no big deal. I really do believe our minds are our biggest enemies in this endurance business. Be it rubbing tires or road rash galore our attitudes determine our future decisions. You pressed on. Great job Ironman.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Wisconsin Rss Feed