Scottish Triathlon
15C / 59F
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 38m
Overall Rank = 52/111
Age Group = Sen
Age Group Rank = 23/50
Pre-race routine:

Shot to bits because there were lots of group photos being taken! Got all my kit sorted and in the bags, got suited and went for photos...

Missed most of the briefing the night before as well and didn't walk the transitions cos I'd been before - muppet!
Event warmup:

None what so ever - not true actually - we had a brisk hike from setting up T2 down to T1. Forgot/didn't have time for stretching and warming up hip flexors etc - paid for it later on too!

Swim
  • 32m 37s
  • 1900 meters
  • 01m 43s / 100 meters
Comments:

The start was a bit shambolic - Spook was shouting 30s to start and we were still standing at the side - bit of a mad charge to get into position bfore the off - I didn't get there and kind of cut the corner to try and get going quick. The 1st half of the Out was a bit of a scrum really -

The water was rough!! Wind was picking up from the South and we had proper wind against tide waves - coupla times I found my propeler legs flapping in the air up to the knees as the water just disapeared below me!

Spent my whole swim catching people, until the last quarter when I got caught behind a couple of folk and didn't spot the lead group cutting off to the right - I probably should have gone to them, but I stayed where I was...

I was only 37s behind Rupert and 2:30 behind Kelly van Toorn - she was 5min clear of me last year, so I'm happy with that!
What would you do differently?:

Should've paid more attention to the start time! (5 strokes towards the start buouy does not constitute a warm up!)
Transition 1
  • 02m 59s
Comments:

Seems like an awfully long time! I lubed my suit, but forgot about my heels and then got tied up in my bike waterproof (which was definitely needed!) I'd left my jersey at home - ended up just running off half dressed and sorted it with some dodgy no-handed action on the bike about a mile up the road!

For wet weather, I reckon I'd have been better getting wet with just my cycle jersey - the waterproof in the pocket for if I had to stop for a puncture(!) or something.

(Need to not leave my cycle jersey at home then!)
Bike
  • 3h 09m 25s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.74 mile/hr
Comments:

I was going well - wee bit hesitant on the descents because of the weather - still managed over 40 at one point tho - got a rear flat at 18miles which used 2 inners and a bit of tape to fix the split tyre sidewall, then went on he offensive to make up the time. Back tyre only at 70psi, so no chance really!
Should a been about 2:45 to 2:50

I discovered later that I had a slow puncture in the front tyre as well - no wonder it felt so tough!

I worked my ass off and would have been well within my target time if I hadn't spent 15min faffing with tyres.

Use bomb-proof tyres and avoid patches of gravel!
Transition 2
  • 03m 28s
Comments:

T2 is a dead stop, up a curb then along a muddy, grassy path. I didn't know where my bike was going and lost time getting it racked...

Get to that briefing and walk the Transitions before (like I normally would!!)
Run
  • 1h 54m 1s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Mile #1 was 6:58, then had to stop for a pee. My legs seized up during the pause and my IT Band left me knackered for the rest of the run. :(

Not push so hard on the bike!!
Post race
Warm down:

More like a warm-up! Went into the swimming pool showers and defrosted for a while, got the compression stuff on, then went to join the rest of the gang for some of Lynne's Chocolate cake (num num num!!!)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hello?! 3 (that's three!) punctures!

Really need to be more thoughtful at the start of the event and visualise the T's and warm-up properly...

Event comments:

Love the event - just not this year!

Last updated: 2011-04-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:37 | 1900 meters | 01m 43s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/50
Overall: 13/111
Performance: Good
Suit: Yes
Course: 2laps of a straight out and back
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0C / 0F Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:59
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:09:25 | 56 miles | 17.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 38/50
Overall: 69/111
Performance: Average
NONE - HRM melt down - my HR got slower and slower then stopped - I guess it sprang a leak on the swim or the battery ran out - just not helpful!!
Wind: Cross-winds
Course:
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 03:28
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:54:01 | 13.1 miles | 08m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/50
Overall: 54/111
Performance: Bad
1st mile 6:58 and the rest (after stopping for a pee and seizing up) 8-10mile/min
Course: 5 miles steady climb, then descent back "down" the Glen (undulating!!) with a wee extra loop (uphill) at mile 8 to add in the extra coupla miles - about 50:50 fire road and tarmac.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes