Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-10-03 11:15 AM
in reply to: #3688943

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland Area
Subject: RE: Deer Creek Fall Challenge

Since I've started in this sport I've had my eye on this race, but its alsway too darn cold.  Why not hold this race earlier in the season, reconfigure the schedule for HFP?

2011-10-03 11:42 AM
in reply to: #3709186

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
abrezo - 2011-10-03 12:15 PM

Since I've started in this sport I've had my eye on this race, but its alsway too darn cold.  Why not hold this race earlier in the season, reconfigure the schedule for HFP?

This was my first half ironman in 2005 and it was held Sept 18th....I dont know why the keep pushing it out further in the year?

2011-10-03 11:45 AM

User image

Expert
Columbus

d you are wise to learn from mistakes.  i can't believe you purposely did this with no wetsuit.  you do win manly points but i have been too cold in a race before (bike leg) and had a similar experience.

diesel - i didn't realize there was a water emergency.  hopefully it was a quick fix from a little hypothermia, cramp or panic and not something too serious

abrezo - get out in the cold.  as far as schedule goes, i speculate it is cheaper and more available to get full day access to a state park after the season is over.

personally I was undertrained and unprepared for the event but I figured "what the hey"  i paid my entry fee, i'm going to give it a go.  it was cold in the water and the chop and glare made it hard to navigate.  the bike was chilly on the first lap, my right foot was cold through the whole thing (see RR).  the wind (a stple for mt sterling in fall) and bad roads added difficulty.  the run was a brutal fight with the wind and lack of fitness. i haven't ridden 56 miles straight on the bike for over a year haven't done nearly the mileage and consistency to race a half marathon.  today i am hurting.  i will not do this next year.  i am going to focus on columbus marathon (anyone need a tribike and wetsuit?).

2011-10-03 1:33 PM

User image

Veteran
I bagged the race.

Kept a close eye on the weather forecast; didn't feel like driving all that way just to freeze.

It was a C race anyway, and I was mainly doing it for fun. Just didn't seem like it would be that much fun.

Anyway, it accomplished my main goal for signing up, which was to keep me training later into the season.

I give manly points to all you guys (and gals) who did it.

Congrats to all you finishers, whatever the distance.

JC
2011-10-03 1:45 PM
in reply to: #3709465

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-10-03 3:11 PM
in reply to: #3709495

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
TSimone - 2011-10-03 1:45 PM

I'll put up a race report later, but I finished my first 70.3!  I feel like I was in a bar room brawl yesterday and got the snot beat outta me.  Wow, I'm sore.

The worst part of it for me temperature wise was in transition before the race and on the beach waiting to start.  After that I had the right gear with me and was not cold in the water or on the bike nor was I hot on the run.  My feet were a little cold on the bike, though.  But man, the chop in the water and wind all freaking day.  Brutal.

And I second the congrats to all those who raced yesterday.  Congrats! 

Congrats on your first 70.3 Tom!  From our talk in the other thread on the weather I pretty much worried about it until the start.  But in the end, it wasn't all that bad and I'd do another tri in the same weather again now that I have the experience!

I do have to say that the description of the course being flat and fast is just wrong!  They should have put some kind of disclaimer that says "Fast and flat...unless you're from Chicago!" LoL.  Nice job to everyone that raced!

2011-10-03 5:34 PM
in reply to: #3709465

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah

JC in Cinci - 2011-10-03 2:33 PM I bagged the race. Kept a close eye on the weather forecast; didn't feel like driving all that way just to freeze. It was a C race anyway, and I was mainly doing it for fun. Just didn't seem like it would be that much fun. Anyway, it accomplished my main goal for signing up, which was to keep me training later into the season. I give manly points to all you guys (and gals) who did it. Congrats to all you finishers, whatever the distance. JC

I did the same JC it was a 2.5 to 3 hour drive for me and I didnt see the fun in it being that cold and didnt want to drive that far and drop the distance down....I think men have an advantage they can go in the water without a top on and dry off pretty darn good before putting on a dry top...they just wont let women do that...we have to atleast have a jog bar on and once its wet our shirt will be wet also.  {sigh}

2011-10-03 7:06 PM
in reply to: #3709857

Expert
Columbus
Jungle Jenn - 2011-10-03 6:34 PM

JC in Cinci - 2011-10-03 2:33 PM I bagged the race. Kept a close eye on the weather forecast; didn't feel like driving all that way just to freeze. It was a C race anyway, and I was mainly doing it for fun. Just didn't seem like it would be that much fun. Anyway, it accomplished my main goal for signing up, which was to keep me training later into the season. I give manly points to all you guys (and gals) who did it. Congrats to all you finishers, whatever the distance. JC

I did the same JC it was a 2.5 to 3 hour drive for me and I didnt see the fun in it being that cold and didnt want to drive that far and drop the distance down....I think men have an advantage they can go in the water without a top on and dry off pretty darn good before putting on a dry top...they just wont let women do that...we have to atleast have a jog bar on and once its wet our shirt will be wet also.  {sigh}

Ohio state law allows women to be topless. If you want to I think it is just fine and I am behind equal rights.

But alas, I don't dry off ever anyway.  That takes time.  It's a race for pete's sake.

BUT driving to be miserably cold - I am with you there.  I think with these poor conditions I would have bagged a long drive unless this was my A race.

2011-10-03 7:21 PM
in reply to: #3709955

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
bruehoyt - 2011-10-03 8:06 PM
Jungle Jenn - 2011-10-03 6:34 PM

Ohio state law allows women to be topless. If you want to I think it is just fine and I am behind equal rights.

But alas, I don't dry off ever anyway.  That takes time.  It's a race for pete's sake.

BUT driving to be miserably cold - I am with you there.  I think with these poor conditions I would have bagged a long drive unless this was my A race.

so when they announce no public nudity a topless woman is not consider public nudity? interesting

rulebook

n. Indecent Exposure. Public nudity at any time during the event is prohibited. Any violation of this Section shall result in a variable time penalty.

and for the record i never dry off either but with race temps real feel at 35 degrees and winds 15-25 mph it woulda been a little nicer....but the temps wimped me outta this one to end the year thats for sure!!

Edited by Jungle Jenn 2011-10-03 7:26 PM
2011-10-03 7:33 PM
in reply to: #3709976

Expert
Columbus
Jungle Jenn

so when they announce no public nudity a topless woman is not consider public nudity? interesting

rulebook

n. Indecent Exposure. Public nudity at any time during the event is prohibited. Any violation of this Section shall result in a variable time penalty.

and for the record i never dry off either but with race temps real feel at 35 degrees and winds 15-25 mph it woulda been a little nicer....but the temps wimped me outta this one to end the year thats for sure!!

they say no nudity but since they dont define nudity i would have to argue that state law definition of nudity is the basis.  in ohio toplessness is not nudity.

Edited by bruehoyt 2011-10-03 7:33 PM
2011-10-03 9:47 PM

Expert
Columbus

HFP race results are always screwy. 

To get my real results I had to take out teams from overall results since they were mixed in.  I personally DQ'd the guy who won my age group went an hour faster than his stand alone half marathon PR and added the people who entered as elite masters and clydes in my AG as well. 

I was listed as 3 of 15.  I was really 6 of 22.  overall 31 of 117 - i was really 26 of 117 and gender 24 of 88. On the plus side they actually got my splits for once.

And on divisions - What is the point or benefit of having elite divisions?  What does it take to be an elite at an hfp race?  check mark that box.  News Flash HFP: Unless you have incentives (cash, real prizes, series championship, qualifying times), finishing order is what makes you elite.  No cash:  If you race and win - you are elite.  If you sign up and go slow you are not elite.  In this race he women's division had a total of one elite -and she was SMOKIN fast.  If another woman entered as elite and did a 10 hour half she would be on the elite podium? And Multiple clydesdale divisionsin  tiny race???? seriously?  if you are tall or heavy I get it it is a nice thing to have.  3 - three separate divisions when you have 2 entries per division?  silly.

So since I just bitched I should say something nice:

I WAS STARVING on the run.  I wanted real food BAD. I figured blech -more cookies, bananas and "race" food at the end.  I wanted MEAT.  -THEY DELIVERED.  I finished, saw a sign -warm food.  I got a sloppy joe, went to find my stuff and a real seat but instead quickly sat on the ground and inhaled.  I went back and politely asked if I could have another.  I also grabbed a Coke (I never drink this stuff but I wanted caffeine( - I downed the coke and joe. a muscle milk a two PB & J's later I was ready to gather my stuff and drive home.  A+ on the grub

Edited by bruehoyt 2011-10-03 10:01 PM

2011-10-04 6:57 AM
in reply to: #3710123

2011-10-04 12:55 PM
in reply to: #3709162

Lewis Center, Ohio

As a spectator, I can give an update on the gal pulled from the water.  She was safely tucked away in the "warming area" (never had a cinder block room looked so inviting!), sitting in front of a heater, wrapped in blanket after blanket.  She was in there for quite a long time but seemed to be doing just fine.

I've gotta say that I was happy to be on the sidelines for this one.  My wife was the only 45-49 female to stick it out in the HIM tri.  She was cold and spent an eternity in T1 getting into warm gear, but she set a great example for our girls.  I was incredibly proud of her for sticking it out.

Congrats to the rest of you who persevered through the tough weather!

One additional note to HFP: train your volunteers at critical areas.  The gals at the bike turnaround had no idea there were multiple races going on, let alone how many loops each had to take.  I had to clue them in after a guy on a bike kept calling out "how many loops for the mini" as he coasted toward the dismount line.  Poor guy clipped out and came to a complete stop by the time I yelled "two".  On the one hand, each participant should really now the looping on the course -- on the other, the volunteers should be helpful!  This one's on HFP, not the volunteers.

2011-10-04 4:01 PM

Veteran
Northern Ohio

I had a great time although I could not feel my fingers or toes by the time I got to transition from the water.  If my wife had not handed me a scullcap and full gloves after the swim I am not sure I would have made it.  Luckily Xttera is going to replce my wetsuit which I ripped off my arm in T1. The seam just gave way.  The best part was running after the bike.  I could not feel my toes down to about half of my foot.  My wife asked if I was OK.  LOL.  Anyway great time and I posted my race report.  Not pretty but I finished the mini.  I do disagree that the bike course was fast.  Could not get warmed up enough to crank those hills.  went from 17.8 first lap to 16.9 by the end of the second lap.  Yucko.  Anyway, I am heading to texas November 4th to do the texas Oil Half.  Hope to see some of you there.  It has to be warmer.

See you next year.

tom

Edited by Tkimble01 2011-10-04 4:04 PM
2011-10-04 5:58 PM
in reply to: #3710952

Extreme Veteran
Springfield, OH

newmansown - 2011-10-04 1:55 PM

One additional note to HFP: train your volunteers at critical areas.  The gals at the bike turnaround had no idea there were multiple races going on, let alone how many loops each had to take.  I had to clue them in after a guy on a bike kept calling out "how many loops for the mini" as he coasted toward the dismount line.  Poor guy clipped out and came to a complete stop by the time I yelled "two".  On the one hand, each participant should really now the looping on the course -- on the other, the volunteers should be helpful!  This one's on HFP, not the volunteers.

For what it's worth, HFP usually makes it very clear that it is each racer's individual responsibility prior to starting the race to know the course, and where to turn, how many loops, etc.  I'm sure they do their best to inform the volunteers, but they're also very clear that it is not the volunteers' job to let you know what to do.

2011-10-04 6:25 PM
in reply to: #3710952

2011-10-15 1:21 PM

Expert
Columbus
finally posted my race report
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Deer Creek Fall Challenge Rss Feed