General Discussion Race Reports! » TriRock San Diego - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

TriRock San Diego - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Diego, California
United States
Competitor Group Inc.
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 24m 57s
Overall Rank = 492/517
Age Group = 4549
Age Group Rank = 26/26
Pre-race routine:

Hydrate, eat, pack get to venue. Set up transition, try not to freak out, streach, visualize, and relax.
Event warmup:

Short run and swim
Swim
  • 44m 22s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

When I jumped in off the floating plat form I was ready for the cold water but forgot I was in salt water, that was a shock! As soon as the horn blew everyone in my wave took off like motor boats, I was last right away.
What would you do differently?:

Work on speed and distance. More open water swims to get used to the chop of the water. I was not too disappointed in my swim since my goal was to not wear myself out in the swim.
Transition 1
  • 05m 18s
Comments:

Long run from the water to my bike. I did notice two women talking during set up, one had put blue tape on the ground towards her bike...that helped me a lot!

Rented a better wetsuit than usual and it slid right off me...so I bought it.

Get a trisuit so I do not have to put on my shorts and top. That would save considerable time.
Bike
  • 1h 03m
  • 14 miles
  • 13.33 mile/hr
Comments:

Used too much energy on the first lap before I realized my brake was rubbing, ever so slightly on my tire. Stopped and fixed it 3/4 through the first lap. I was jumpy and nervous. The other riders were fast and furious coming in close; the trolley whistle made me jump each time it blew or the bell rang.
Spoke with the riding coach for Run Tri San Diego after the race at the bike racks and she had a $6000 bike and she stated that it was the worst course she had ever been on and explained how she herself struggled. She was also amazed that I train by myself.

Get on some hills. There were two small hills which means we climbed them each 3x. They killed me. I could never get a groove going.
Transition 2
  • 02m 56s
Comments:

I should have had more fuel. I did remember to take on a gu while on the bike

Just need to get faster at the time. I did put socks on this time.
Run
  • 1h 29m 20s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 14m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I was weak during the run. I should have taken on more fuel. My SIL handed me a gatorade and I should have taken it with me on the run. By the time I got there the aid stations were out of HEED and only had water. Walked most of the course.

My lower abdomen was burning and on fire. My legs felt great but I just did not have the energy and mental energy to run. Core needs to be worked on this winter to sustain me through the distance.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk, drink and eat. Stretch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Same ol same ol; lack of training. I missed a lot of training this summer and was not consistent. I have no core strength and really need to develop that if I want to make any speed change. Hone my nutrition and training.

Event comments:

I had high expectations for this race. I may have been too into my own little world but I was not impressed. The bike course is bad, that street is rough. The swag bag was less than what I get at our small local race. I will do it next year for two reasons, the half off discount and to compare my times. But after that I may try the Classic Tri in San Diego. By the time I finished there was nothing going on and the food was gone too.

Last updated: 2011-05-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:22 | 1640 yards | 02m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 24/26
Overall: 464/517
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Farmer John
Course: Swim out of marina, turn right into the bay; swim through two green bouys to orange bouys. Make a left at bouy on the right, swim forward to next bouy turn left. Swim towards direction of marina to third orange bouy; turn left back into the marina towards finish. Climb onto floating plat form and climb stairs.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:18
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:03:00 | 14 miles | 13.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 26/26
Overall: 496/517
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind
Course: The course was changed due to security reasons. It was three laps on a horrible road with two hills. Lots of potholes and had to cross railroad tracks. There was a heavy cloth over the tracks but the course Beat me up the entire ride.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:56
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:29:20 | 06.21 miles | 14m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/26
Overall: 26/517
Performance: Below average
Course: Lots of turns and through the marina visitor section. Lots of tourist, walkers, bikes and people on the course. Had to run through lots of crowds.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes