Tour Des Fleurs
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 22m 25s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Alarm went off at 5. Hit the snooze twice and finally out of bed at 5:20. Smeador got to the house at 5:45. Picked up mom at 6 and on our way to the race.
Event warmup:

About a mile walk from the parking area at Winfrey Point to the race site.
Run
  • 1h 22m 25s
  • 6.3 miles
  • 13m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my mom's first 10K. She had been training for months and was so excited. Sometimes I have to take a step back and remember that excitement I had when I was just starting. I ran/walked the whole thing with her using a 1:00 run/2:30 walk interval. Stuck with it. Ran hard and walked with a purpose.

The first half was slightly downhill on the paved road right next to the lake. Once we turned onto the path there were some slight hills. Nothing too bad but the condition of the path was really bad. Very cracked and potholed. I was worried about mom mis-stepping but she did great.

I was happy with our pace. Today was all about her!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I was so happy to be able to do this with her. But,I have created a monster (in a good way though). She wants to keep working to get faster at 5K's. Do a few more 10K's and has decided that net year, when she turns 70, she wants to run a half marathon. Pretty cool isn't it!
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with Steve at the finish. Walked up into the post-race area. Grabbed some water, a piece of sandwich from subway and found Scott. Checked the results to see if Mom placed so we could wait for awards. She ended up 4th out of 10 in her AG. No hardware but still pretty impressive.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. Today was not about me

Event comments:

Rated it an average because of the terrible condition of the path. Parts were muddy but that is nobodies fault. But the cracks and unevenness of the trail could cause some injuries.

Last updated: 2011-07-31 12:00 AM
Running
01:22:25 | 06.3 miles | 13m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Kind of loop kind of out and back around WRL
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-09-17 10:23 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Subject: Tour des Fleurs 10k

2011-09-19 2:01 PM
in reply to: #3690875

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Subject: RE: Tour des Fleurs 10k
Way to go to you and mom!!  What a fun day for you gals!  Sometimes the best races are the ones that aren't about us.  Yes, I know what you mean about creating a montser....in a good way.  My mom just turned 70, and runs 3+ miles each morning.  She gets pissy because there aren't very many others to compete with in her age group.  So tell your mom to keep training, and perhaps they will meet at the races
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tour des Fleurs 10k Rss Feed