EX2 Adventures
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 45m 1s
Overall Rank = 7/
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 5:00, made my nutella and banana on toast, had my coffee and packed up the car to go.
Event warmup:

Jogged a few miles around the area, mostly on the road. Didn't get too much single track in during the warmup.
Run
  • 17m 59s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 07m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Wanted to pace this run like I was doing a 90 minute running race, so didn't try to push it too hard. That is easier said than done since there are so many ups and downs on those trails. I will still say I felt really good for this run and was waiting for the bike portion to work my way up through the first pack.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, felt good and was able to bike pretty well off of it.
Transition 1
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

First race not using a camelback, kind of surprised to see the 47 seconds there, guess it doesn't take me very long to get my socks on normally and put the camelback on.
Bike
  • 55m
  • 8 miles
  • 8.73 mile/hr
Comments:

Seeing my average, I'm hoping it was the temperature as why it is that low. Although I did get stuck behind someone for almost a mile and he was hard to pass since he wasn't going that much slower than me. Once I got past him I never saw him again. Lesson is learned, but sometimes that is just a part of mountain bike racing.

I did get in a lull during the last 1/3 of the bike leg since i was out there all alone, dr kathy said she was chasing me down, but I never noticed her back there.
Transition 2
  • 00m 35s
Comments:

nice and quick t2

nothing
Run
  • 30m 8s
  • 3.6 miles
  • 08m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt really good on this run and I thik I paced it pretty well for my fitness level. Some of those miles have some significant elevation and the new section had some really tricky downhills which I basically had to walk down and a really tough climb towards the end of the race. That last climb to the parking lot nearly made me blow up, I was able to hold on to the finish but I nearly chucked.. that was a tough run with the hardest hill right at the end.

I ran this pretty fast for my ability. I was run down by two people during the run which I don't like, but one of them was on a relay and the other guy was one of the fastest runners out there today so nothing really to compain about.
Post race
Warm down:

After finally recovering I drank a few cups of water, didn't do anything too extensive. Since i had a slight spill late on the bike course I made sure that my derailleur wasn't bent, that's about it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I lost my pressure settings for my suspension when my computer died and I haven't found the correct pressure to set my front fork and shock. With the ever changing temperatures of fall, it is tricky to get my suspension set up as perfect as it was during the summer without knowing those. Suspension was a bit stiff today which made me get bounced around a bit mroe than I should have, but not too bad. Not a bad performance considering I only have two logged rides in September, and only 4 total since Irene.

Last updated: 2011-09-18 12:00 AM
Running
00:17:59 | 02.5 miles | 07m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Mile 1: 6:57 Avg HR 161 Mile 2: 8:09 Avg HR 167 Last fraction 2:53, Avg HR 172
Course: 0.6m 0.6m Start near the south entrance to the upper parking lot. Run east on the park road toward the park entrance. 0.5m 1.1m Take a left onto the trail and run west on the trail that back toward the parking lot. Aid Station at trail intersection near SE corner of maintenance area (1.1 miles from last aid) 1.3m 2.4m Enter the White Trail trailhead near the SE corner of the maintenance area and follow it to the connector trail (optional detour back to the upper parking lot). 0.1m 2.5m Take connector trail to the transition area near the NE corner of the parking lot. Aid Station at Transition Area (1.4 miles from last aid)
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 00:47
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:55:00 | 08 miles | 8.73 mile/hr
158 Avg HR 173 max
Wind:
Course: http://www.ex2adventures.com/images/maps/2011-FHORD-MTB-Course-Map.jpg
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:35
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:08 | 03.6 miles | 08m 22s  min/mile
Mile 1: 7:50 avg HR 161 Mile 2: 8:20 avg HR 162 Mile 3: 8:39 avg HR 165 Last fraction 5:19 avg HR 169
Course: 0.6m 0.6m Run east on the park road toward the park entrance. 0.5m 1.1m Take a left onto the trail and run west on the trail that back toward the parking lot. Aid Station at trail intersection near SE corner of maintenance area (1.1 miles from last aid) 1.3m 2.4m Enter the White Trail trailhead near the SE corner of the maintenance area and follow it to the aid station located near the optional detour back to the upper parking lot. Aid Station at trail intersection (1.3 miles from last aid) 1.2m 3.6m Continue on the White Trail and then follow some seldom used trails to the finish located in the grassy area at the NE corner of the upper parking lot.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes