Community First Fox Cities Marathon
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 17m 32s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Been battling a cold so took my Mucinex then the regular routine... no warm up. Went in not expecting what I had hoped to do - break 2 hours. But overall felt up to the race anyhow
Event warmup:

took a shuttle to start. Up at 4:15, didn't sleep well. Peanut butter on toast, some granola and a couple of shot blox. Water, Diet Pepsi and coffee - yeah, breakfast of champs ;)
Run
  • 2h 17m 32s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

felt really stiff in calves first 3-4 miles... ugh. But eventually seemed to ease up. Worked on keeping shoulders relaxed but still seemed to hunch them toward the end when I became more fatigued. Enjoyed my awesome choco Gu! YUMMY stuff! Hip flexors were giving me grief the last couple miles and so grateful for the wonderful crowd support. And so nice to hook up with Chris and run for a mile - even though we both didn't want to talk much. As I neared the finish, I was NOT going to let the first speed walker beat me! So it was a fight for the last 1/2 mile but alas, his victory even if behind me, overshadowed mine LOL Didn't hear my name like in the past, instead heard, "and here comes the first walker blah blah blah..." LOL
What would you do differently?:

train more and dang it...gotta do more speed work. I want to be faster!!!!!!!!
Post race
Warm down:

zombied... grabbed some choco milk but couldn't open it so asked some guy to help me. grabbed some orange but not hungry for Arby's. Immediately walked to car and went home. Husband and son missed my run completely!! :( They went out to see me cross close to home but missed me by 10 mins which I guess is a good thing in that I went faster than they figured but I spent the last 2 miles scanning the crowd for them.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

headcold, fatigue and lack of interval training. Physically, I was pretty worn out by the end.

Event comments:

Great race for local peeps and it is a Boston qualifier for the marathon folks. Wish we ran by some more scenic things and I really don't want a medal for finishing. Tshirt is just fine. Not sure why the half medal has a town on it that we never went into - but the full does go thru it. Volunteers are top notch at this event. Thank you all you kind police/crossing guard peeps and jubilant cheer-'em-on-ers!

Last updated: 2011-09-18 12:00 AM
Running
02:17:32 | 13.1 miles | 10m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: Loved going by the water, nice and breezy...lots of great posters "Run like zombies are chasing you!" 'you paid for this' loved the tissues and guy with coconut boobies with the thatched skirt
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-09-18 4:46 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Subject: Fox Cities Half Marathon

2011-09-19 5:32 AM
in reply to: #3691244

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: Fox Cities Half Marathon
Way to hang in there and get it done while battling a cold!  I love this race too. 
2011-09-20 12:39 PM
in reply to: #3691244

User image

Extreme Veteran
Green Bay, WI
Subject: RE: Fox Cities Half Marathon
Sounds like you had a good race considering the circumstances. Great job overcoming feeling crappy to begin with.....and then I would imagine really feeling crappy when you finished Smile.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fox Cities Half Marathon Rss Feed