General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1st IM in KY? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-18 5:07 PM

User image

Regular
St. Joseph, MI
Subject: 1st IM in KY?

I'm looking to try my 1st full IM (using Fink's Beginner plan) but not sure where to go.  I like date, distance from home, and slow registration closing time for KY but am a little concerned about the bike course.  I'm a fair biker and have completed the Steelhead course in 3:16 (2010)and 3:02 (2011).  Can the Steelhead and Louisville courses be compared or are they radically different?  I would be shooting for a speed between 15 and 16mph and don't want to kill my legs going up hills all day. 

The swim wouldn't be a problem.  I've done 5K swims and can hold a 35min/mile pace without expending a ton of energy.

For the marathon, I've read the course is mostly flat so I'm not worried about that one either.

Heat?? I love the heat and prefer it over cold any day.

I've read a bunch of IMKY race reports but still would love some more opinions.  Thanks!!

js

2011-09-19 3:36 PM
in reply to: #3691259

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
Subject: RE: 1st IM in KY?
Sorry I'm not much help, but have the same question. I'm already signed up for IMKY due to the reasons for mention. Will be my first IM. I've done Steelhead twice and believe the hills must be more than the rollers in Benton Harbor.

The day after I signed up, I got a flyer about a new race here in Grand Rapids called MI Iron. It's not an Ironman branded race, but is Iron Distance, it's in GR, and costs about half for registration. It's the same day as IMKY so might be a good option.

My first thought was regretting I signed up so early, but I would like to do an IM branded race for my first so am excited about being locked in for next year.

Good luck either way!
2011-09-19 5:33 PM

User image

Regular
St. Joseph, MI
Thanks for the reply.  I think I'm leaning towards KY and I agree with you about wanting an IM brand race for the first one.  I want to hear I'm an Ironman and I want all the hype that goes with the race.  I think I may just have to train on hilly courses as I can find them.  I'm lucky that I live near the Steelhead course and it's mostly a good course to ride any time.  Good luck!!
2011-09-19 6:49 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Not that I've done IMKY but a friend that recently did it and isn't the strongest cyclist said that the course is hilly but the rollers work into one another so you have the ability to go down and use a bit of momentum to get up the next one.  She had a decent race and a real nice run.  The one thing she mentioned and another guy too was the numerous bike wrecks on the course, she said aid stations were particularly troublesome.  They both liked the time trial start to the swim since they weren't stuck in the washing machine of 3000 people.  
2011-09-20 6:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Boston

Did IMKY as my first, not a strong swimmer so that gave me a bit of a workout 1:48:00 for the swim. Waited in line 25 min after the gun sounded for my turn to jump in.  Long line, about a mile with family and friends waiting with swimmers.
 The Bike was nice, just constant rollers, was able to stay in aero the whole race. Just used momentum to carry you down and up. Two hills that were fairly long, but over all nothing killer. Rode the course in 6:13 about 18 mph. We had a temp of 78 deg which is way below normal. That will play a role in the ride.
 Run was two loops of out and back and very flat. one hill on a out and back in the first 2 miles.
 Run course was very nice tree lined street can see all the racers all day.
 If your local I only trained at Kensington /IL for Ky and used a BT training plan. We did go down and Raced the Cardnil HIM which bikes a lot of the course, Run is not the same and a diffrent part of the river for the swim. still a good version of the day.

IMKY has a great finish area and the Galt was very nice place to stay

Just Im if you have any other questions   hope this helps

2011-09-20 9:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids

Ditto for me for basically the same reasons.  I have my first 140.6 choices narrowed down to IMKY in Aug, Rev3 Cedar Point in September or the new MI IRON right here in GR in Aug.

Heat/Humitidy definately concerns me for KY in August.  I just completed REV3 Cedar Point for my first 70.3 last weekend and REV3 puts a very, very good race/atmosphere, but it is after school starts and that makes it a little harder if my family is to attend with me.

Read on MLIVE.com that the GR Iron race will bike mostly in the Cannonsburg/Belding area and the run will go out Beltline to Meijer Gardens and back - 2 loops i think i read.

Does IMKY ever sell out?  What is our time window to decide if anyone knows?

2011-09-20 5:51 PM

User image

Regular
St. Joseph, MI
I've been trying to dig up info on the Grand Rapids, MI race in August and have found just a little.  It does sound tempting to only have to drive an hour to race and the bike course would probably be a better fit for my first go at it.  I also like the idea of being in a race on its first run.  We'll see.......... 
2011-09-20 10:39 PM
in reply to: #3693259

WOT - 2011-09-20 9:00 AM

Ditto for me for basically the same reasons.  I have my first 140.6 choices narrowed down to IMKY in Aug, Rev3 Cedar Point in September or the new MI IRON right here in GR in Aug.

Heat/Humitidy definately concerns me for KY in August.  I just completed REV3 Cedar Point for my first 70.3 last weekend and REV3 puts a very, very good race/atmosphere, but it is after school starts and that makes it a little harder if my family is to attend with me.

Read on MLIVE.com that the GR Iron race will bike mostly in the Cannonsburg/Belding area and the run will go out Beltline to Meijer Gardens and back - 2 loops i think i read.

Does IMKY ever sell out?  What is our time window to decide if anyone knows?

Big Big factor for me, wife works for school and daughter attends.

2011-09-23 8:11 AM
in reply to: #3692576

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids

BCYoder - 2011-09-19 3:36 PM Sorry I'm not much help, but have the same question. I'm already signed up for IMKY due to the reasons for mention. Will be my first IM. I've done Steelhead twice and believe the hills must be more than the rollers in Benton Harbor. The day after I signed up, I got a flyer about a new race here in Grand Rapids called MI Iron. It's not an Ironman branded race, but is Iron Distance, it's in GR, and costs about half for registration. It's the same day as IMKY so might be a good option. My first thought was regretting I signed up so early, but I would like to do an IM branded race for my first so am excited about being locked in for next year. Good luck either way!

I am going to make my decision this weekend.  In doing some final research last night, I did learn that you almost never are allowed to wear a wetsuit for IMKY due to temps.  Hmmmm don't know if that is a deal breaker or not for me, but I definately prefer to wear it. 

2011-09-23 8:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
The no wetsuit and high temps are my biggest concerns right now... in looking at swim course and reading reports, it looks like the swim has about 2/3 of downstream swimming and the 1/3 upsteam is somewhat protected by an island. I also really like the idea of a time trial start! The timing works out pretty well and I signed up for the GR 1/2 IM in early June. Using Fink's Be Iron Fit program and that's pretty good timing for doing a 1/2.

I know it's pretty far out, but if anyone in GR signs up and is interested in heading to KY sometime next summer to ride the course, let me know.
2011-09-23 9:53 AM

Champion
No excuses!

IMKY is a decent choice for a first IM. As mentioned the swim will be too warm for wetsuits but with the time trial start, I think that takes away some of the anxiety of the "washing machine."

The bike course is a nice bike course. I have done KY, AZ, WI, CDA, Rev 3 and Redman and I would say it is the 3rd toughest behind CDA and WI. The hills aren't too bad, seemed like a lot of them but nothing like WI and CDA. The out and back stretch before getting on the double loop has a wicked downhill on the way out where I hit 47mph and was braking. People were coming by me like I was standing still. I am not a big fan of those speed on hills so that was probably the only part of the bike I didn't care for. Obviously you get to climb back up it too Laughing

The run is very flat and the finish is awesome on 4th st live. Host hotel is on the best set ups I have seen because it is all right there and fairly easy to get a room for not a ton of dough.

2011-09-25 11:27 AM

User image

Regular
St. Joseph, MI

WOT, any decision yet?  I think I'm going to sign up for KY today or tomorrow.  I've watched Youtube video of the course and it looks tough in spots but managable.  My plan for bike training will be hills, hills and more hills.  I'm also going to invest in the Spinnervals IMKY DVD for some more perspective on the course.  The swim is probably what draws me the most.  I like warm water and swimming with the current will be a big plus.  A time trial start will be a little less hectic too.  

BCYoder--which Fink Ironfit plan are you trying?  I think I'm going to follow the "just finish" plan but increase some of the bike times.  I'd be interested in hearing how your training goes as we get closer.

2011-09-26 10:33 PM

User image

Regular
St. Joseph, MI
Well...I'm in.  Just sent in my entry, excited but nervous.  I guess I better get used to that
2011-09-27 9:14 AM
in reply to: #3701512

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
jgs733 - 2011-09-26 11:33 PM

Well...I'm in.  Just sent in my entry, excited but nervous.  I guess I better get used to that

Congrats!!!! See you in August!!!

I would like to do the competitive plan but will prob. end up doing the intermdiate. Agree with you on maybe adding some bike miles.

Edited by BCYoder 2011-09-27 9:15 AM
2011-09-27 9:29 PM
in reply to: #3699447

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids
jgs733 - 2011-09-25 11:27 AM

WOT, any decision yet?  I think I'm going to sign up for KY today or tomorrow.   

BCYoder--which Fink Ironfit plan are you trying?  I think I'm going to follow the "just finish" plan but increase some of the bike times.  I'd be interested in hearing how your training goes as we get closer.

Just made my hotel reservations!  Bring on H3's.. Heat, Humidity and Hills!

2011-09-30 8:46 AM

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids, MI

Congrats for signing up everyone!  It's exciting.  I signed up for my first 140.6 at IM Wisconsin as opposed to IM KY with the heat and wetsuit issues already mentioned.  I really wanted to be able to wear my wetsuit.  I'm pretty nervous about the bike as well but fear is a good thing.  I already rode most of the course and I just plan on getting as strong on the bike as possible before race day next year.  Hills, hills, hills is my mantra.  There is potential for Mi Iron to be a bit hilly as well in NE GR depending on which roads they take off of Cannonsburg Rd.

It looks like most of us already chose our Ironman race for 2012.  Maybe we'll see some of you at the Mi Iron in 2013?! Brad/WOT, are you planning on doing that one in the future?  I may, assuming I do another one and it's not the Rev3 in Cedar Point. 

I just wanted to say good luck to some people who are/were trying to make some of the same choices I was making!  Have a great year training.

Edited by rubeone 2011-09-30 9:03 AM

2011-09-30 9:23 AM

User image

Regular
St. Joseph, MI
Congrats Rubeone!!  I like hearing about all the 1st timers.  Inexperience loves company.  Wisconsin sounds pretty tough.  Looking at the bike profiles KY actually has a higher elevation change than WI but the hills look like they're more rolling rather than steep climbs.  I agree with your approach to the bike, lots and lots of hills.  Spinnervals has a DVD which covers the WI course as an option if you're going to be on a trainer this winter.  I thought a lot about MI Iron and it would've been great being so close to home but....I want the Ironman experience for my first go.  Good luck with your training.
2011-10-22 9:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Ironman WI was the toughest IM I've done - I think. (as humans we tend to forget the pain)

The bike at Louisville is very similar to the ride at Wisconsin, but there are three hills (that you do twice) that are just killer at Wisconsin - be prepared to get out of your seat - and not just to stretch.

Wisconsin was very easy to get to and a great city for an Ironman race.

Good luck to all at whatever race you choose. It's going to be IM AZ for me in 2012.

Best,
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1st IM in KY? Rss Feed