General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Books? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-09-18 12:01 PM

Regular
Subject: IM Books?
Hi,

Which books have you found most beneficial for training for an IM? There are so few to choose from but I wanted to hear from you all to see what you are using.

Also, how may weeks out should you start your training?

Thanks,

Kendra

2005-09-18 12:30 PM
in reply to: #248684

User image

Elite
Chicago
Subject: RE: IM Books?

Jeter2 - 2005-09-18 11:01 AM Hi, Which books have you found most beneficial for training for an IM? There are so few to choose from but I wanted to hear from you all to see what you are using. Also, how may weeks out should you start your training? Thanks, Kendra

I didn't use books as I had a coach and also absorbed a lot of information from my fellow Ironman athetes.  However, I have found gordo's site as well as mike ricci's site useful with certain aspects of training.

How many weeks out to start your training?  That all depends on your race experience and endurance level.  Endurance takes years to develop because changing your body's fuel ratio (carbs % vs fatty acid % reliance) as well as increasing mitochondria levels happens only VERY slowly long periods of time.

While I've raced oly and sprint distance races since 1996, my personal strategy to train up for an IM race was that I did my first 1/2 Ironman tri and marathon in 2003 my 2nd marathon and 1/2 IM tri in 2004 and my first IM race in 2005.

While this lengthened endurance build-up is not necessary to complete an IM since 17 hours is quite some time to complete a race such as the IM, it's what I felt worked best for my taste.

Good luck in your IM endeavor!  Depending on how serious you get during your training, it's an incredible experience.  The harder and more diligent you train for the IM the more amazing the experience will be once you cross that finish line.

2005-09-18 9:49 PM

User image

*Disclaimer*  I have not done an IM (yet), and am only signed up to do IMCDA 2006.

Having said that, I have spent a lot of time reading and researching books and sites.  I have "Going Long" by  Friel and Byrn and "BeIronfit" by Fink.  I find them to be quite different in their approach (in some ways).  Going long is much more detailed and in depth and gives you more bang for your buck.  If you like learning a ton of stuff, it's great.  It does not, however, have a training plan...only tells you how to set one up.

BeIronfit, is good because it has 3 different 30-week programs in it, and also because it has simplified much of the information and left out a lot of the technical stuff.  I don't like the maxHR predicting formula used in BeIronfit...(the 220-age formula).

Oh, I also have "Becoming an Ironman"  Very cool book on the inspirational side...it only has first person accounts of people doing their first Ironman.  Good bedtime reading when you have to get up early to train!

As far as how far out to start your training, I say find a program that you like (there is one here on the BT site that I am most likely going to use), and just make sure that by the time you get to the first week of that program you can comfortably do that volume.  Of course the more endurance experience you have, the better.  Good luck!

2005-09-19 12:23 AM

New user

Dallas,TX
I have not or do not plan to do an Ironman but I have a great book I have been using. Triathlon Training by Michael Finch. I picked it up at my local run shop. I bought it for my training in the sprint tri but it has training from a Srint to a Ironman. Goes over gear, different things for swim, bike, running (strength routines, drills, techniques), and nutrition. It has different training plans on your level and depending on the race (Sprint, Oly, 1/2 Iron, Ironman). I am doing the 11-week beginners plan for sprint distance. They have many others. It also has tips for the race day and a chapter on aches and pains (common injuries and how to treat them). That is about it. I have found it a great use and have tailored a few of the training plans to my schedule (oh and the drills has been a blessing). I have several friends that have completed Ironmans and they always use a trainer that sets up plans according to them and their level. I do not see why you can not use a book or online tools instead though. I have seen their plans that they pay for and it is similar to this book (difference is theirs is 6 months long). I would research and create a plan according to you. Hope you find what youa re looking for.

Elizabeth
2005-09-19 4:31 AM

User image

Veteran
London, UK

I'd suggest The Triathlete's Training Bible (Friel and Byrn).  I got this 2 or 3 years ago and just dipped into it but I read it cover to cover (several times) and found it really useful when I started to train for my IM.  I used it to set up my training plan and it really made me think about what training I was doing and why.  I also liked Gordo Byrn's Going Long, and the Kara Thomson book provided good inspiration at those times when it was dark and cold and raining and I really didn't want to go out for a long ride on my bike.  I have Don Fink's book too (I'm a bit of a triathlon book addict) but I'd already set up my own training plan by that point so it was less helpful on that side.  I'd certainly agree with him though that it's what you do when training that matters, quality not quantity, and he has helpful tips on fitting training around an already busy schedule. 

I started my IM training 10 months before the race.  I had 3 years of triathlon and a decade of distance swimming behind me at that stage so I already had some endurance but I wanted to be sure that I could get round and have a great day.  As others have said, I think the time you need depends on your endurance base and also your aims for the day. 

Good luck with your planning.

2005-09-19 8:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison, WI
Disclaimer: I've done two IM's, but DNF'd both bikes...

I've used both Joe Friel's book (I believe every triathlete should own this book) "The Triathlete's training Bible", and "Going Long". Both are great books for broadening your knowledge, and helping to layout your training and schedules.

I will be getting a coach for this year as the self-coached thing hasn't worked out as planned for me.

When to start? Hmmm...I started the day after IMWI Seriously, If you start training with only one goal in mind, IM, too far out, you may lose focus. I have training events/races planned out every month until IM next year, so my focused IMWI training will begin the last week of May after the Florida HIM at Disney. That works best for me. My first year training for IMWI I burned out in July (about 8 weeks out from IMWI)...not good.

Also, I live in the Midwest so training/racing is impacted by the weather. My focus over the fall/winter is swim technique, core strength, and running endurance.

Good Luck!

2005-09-19 8:27 AM

User image

Expert
Liberty Lake, WA

One more vote for the Training Bible and Going Long.

When to start training depends on where you are at right now and what your goals are. For your first IM you do not need to kill yourself doing IM training. Getting ready for an IM is all about consistent long term training with an occational long workout thrown in from time to time. I've only done base work for IMCDA the last two years. No build, no peak, just 9 to 10 months of base.

Edited by T in Liberty Lake 2005-09-19 8:28 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Books? Rss Feed