Dewey Beach Sprint Triathlon
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 28m 55s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 13/16
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 430am and got a shower and made my breakfast of pb on wheat, banana and some water. Took some ibuprofen because I was nursing a rid injury from earlier in the week. Debated on DNS because my ribs hurt so bad but decided to just suck it up and go for it. I made it to the end but my time definately reflected my pain.
Event warmup:

got the the race site at 600am and set up transition and helped my girlfriend set up transition. walked around a bit and talked to other athletes and had the pleasure to finally meet another BTer (The Claaaw) and talked with him for a bit. Walked a half mile down the beach and waited for my wave to start.
Swim
  • 20m 48s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

So my time does not reflect my actual swim time. I didnt know that until I looked at the results and my 20min swim includes my T1. I got out of water at 16:01 which I was very happy with because the water was very rough IMO but then it was a long run up the beach and a dune to get into T1. I was a littled gased when I got out of the water and started running up the dunes. I saw numerous people being rescued by life guards before my wave started which freaked me out a bit. A lot of waves to overcome from the beach start but I managed. The current was very choppy so I was unable to get a good stroke and cadence down. I felt like I was in a washing maching because I was getting thrown all over the place. Also, hard to breath because I was getting salt water in my mouth with every breath. I am not a fan of ocean swims but I feel I did pretty well considering the conditions.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, 16min 1/2 mile is pretty good for me. I guess work on getting out of the water and having the stamina to have a good run into T1 but I was just so happy to make it out of the water I didnt care how long it took me to get to T1. I can also practice doing ocean swims more but I dont plan on doing another ocean swim for a long time.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

had to get all the sand off my feet before getting into my bike shoes which took some time but I would rather be comfortable then fast.

work on T1 time and speed.
Bike
  • 27m 42s
  • 7.2 miles
  • 15.60 mile/hr
Comments:

I thought I had a good bike at this event. I wanted to keep my time under 30mins and I did. I know that the bike is my weakest link and I wanted to try and maintain a 14mph pace because that will be an improvement from my last 2 triathlons. Felt good getting out of T1 and into the bike portion. Strong winds blowing on the out and was going between 15-16mph. Passed a few people and got passed by a few. I thought I would get a nice tailwind on the way back but I didnt, felt about the same as the out. Maintained good cadence, took a hammer gel before heading into T2.

Overall I was happy with my performance. It was windy so my speed probably wasnt as fast as it could have been but I liked my pace. I will continue to work on getting more time in the saddle and doing intervals to help me gain speed and endurance.
Transition 2
  • 02m 19s
Comments:

Good T2 but took too long getting bike shoes off and run shoes on.

Get T2 time down to about 1:30 or less would be nice. Work on practicing my T2 because I never practice transition.
Run
  • 38m 8s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 10m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

So my bruised ribs finally caught up with me on this. My legs felt fine coming out of T2 but I started getting some rib pain and had trouble breathing. After the first 1/4mile or so I knew I was in trouble on the run and I just had to go into survival mode. I did a run/walk combo which helped but I was upset that I wasnt able to run the whole distance without stopping. I loved the run course! so nice to run through the flat and beautiful town of Dewey Beach (I vacation there every summer). Lots of volunteers and crowd support throughout the town.I also like being able to see people on the run. Passed my girlfriend and a couple of friends on the run which was nice motivation.

Nothing really. I am confident that if I wasnt hurt prior to the event starting I would have had a better run.
Post race
Warm down:

After finishing, went and got a bottle of water and met up with friends and the girlfriend. Went over to the beer tent to get a much deserved beverage. Cleared out of transition and packed up the car and then hit the food tent before heading home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

being injured definately did not help my cause but I was happy with my performance. I need to work on T1 and T2 and improve my biking. I feel confident in my swim and my run is improving every month.

Event comments:

I would like to say that this was a very well run and organized race. I love Dewey Beach and vacation there every year and was so happy to finally come back and do the town triathlon. The event did start 30mins late but I wasnt upset about that. I did think it was a little weird that as a clyde, I was in the 10th wave. Every other race my wave is usually the first but it was a nice change and I didnt mind it at all. Lots of great volunteers and town support and alot of police presence assuring that we had the roads safely all to ourselves. Post race food was amazing! I felt like I was in a restaurant with all the different items they had for athletes. Also, a beer truck was a nice touch. Good swag for the money, (shirt, water bottle, samples of things, etc.) Great atmosphere also. Being able to sit on the beach after the race was nice and everyone was super friendly. I am not a fan of ocean swims but I would definately do this race again.

*On a side note, there was a swimmer who went into cardiac arrest sometime during his swim. I did not see this happen but many people were talking about it during the post race party. As of this writing, there has not been an update to his condition but my thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family.

Last updated: 2011-04-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:48 | 880 yards | 02m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: tri shorts
Course: Swim course was a straight shot 1/2 mile up the beach from south to north.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:27:42 | 07.2 miles | 15.60 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: out and back along coastal highway
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:19
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:38:08 | 03.5 miles | 10m 54s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: out and back through the town of Dewey Beach along coastal highway.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes