Racing Underground
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 22m 17s
Overall Rank = 86/474
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 10/30
Pre-race routine:

After Boulder 70.3, took a week off; started to ramp the workouts back up, then got the back-to-school bug Labor day weekend and spent the last two weeks trying to kick off the lung/sinus ailment.
Packed bag, prepped bike, packed car the night before.
Up at 5-ish, had breakfast, drove to CCSP, got into transition at 6.
Event warmup:

Warm up? If walking down to the swim beach then running back up the hill and stairs counts, and doing the same to use the marina bathroom, that's it. With several goggle fog issues this season, I kept the lenses dry and just submerged up to the neck for ~10 minutes to acclimate to the water temp.
Swim
  • 15m 59s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

Worst.OWS.Ever.
I started on the beach standing directly behind tebeal, and ran all the way to the 'start swim' buoy while most everyone else dove early. Lenses stayed clear, but breathing was hard from the sinus/lung bug of the last two weeks. Sighting was decent, except for when I looked, the bumped a guy on my right and adjusted slightly...~20 strokes later, my arm snagged a rope, and when I lifted my head the 1st buoy was on top of it. Doh!
I had Tom in sight (the red wet-suit trim was easy to see) around the 1st buoy, but didn't hang with my wave leaders over the rest of the swim. I'd say I'm not sure where the swim mojo went, but I know better.
Admittedly my swim effort has dropped off significantly the last month, and 2 minutes is the price I paid over last year. This was a big letdown for what was otherwise a good race for me.
What would you do differently?:

Keep up the maintenance swimming effort, or not schedule something within a month of an A race.
Transition 1
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

Maybe it was the long-azz run up to transition, but this felt very disorganized and sloppy. julta was counting off athletes entering transition, so I said hi on my way by.
I used my dry shirt to wipe my face (forgot a small sweat towel), decided at the last minute to skip the socks I had planned to wear, even took a moment to rescue someone's errant sunglasses from the path to Bike Out

Not have socks to get out of the way.
Um, not sure what else since this was a little quicker than I thought.
Bike
  • 35m 15s
  • 11.5 miles
  • 19.57 mile/hr
Comments:

In the first couple of miles I was passed by 365, and decided to see if I could hang with him, which I was able to. At the first hill I stood up, caught and passed him, which he reversed on the next down hill. The cat and mouse act continued through the course, and we talked back and forth for the last 3rd of the ride.

nothing other than not ignore the bike for a month
Transition 2
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

As I was racking my bike I heard KeriF heckling from the fence, that made me laugh! Didn't notice I was in and out in decent time, forgot to say hey to julta at run out but I heard her give a shout as I hit the road.
Run
  • 28m 32s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Heading out onto the nice flattish run course, my calves were both tight - no surprise, they'd been tight all week. If I cramped I'd deal with it then, meantime just pushed the pace as best I could. Only a handful passed me on the course, two from my age group (2 on the bike as well). This was the first time I've felt really good on a tri run aside from the calves, and it turned out to be one of my better 5k efforts so no complaints there.

lots more leg stretching.
Post race
Warm down:

Drained the water handed to me in the chute, had lung spasms for a good ten minutes, and the got changed and caught up with a few different people. Changed into dry clothes, then had a plate of BBQ. Packed up transition and loaded the car, then came back for awards and raffle. Alas, I did not win the pricey wheels again this year.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

post A race workout let-down. That's two years in a row, I wonder if I learned something there...

Event comments:

This is a fun fast race course, hopefully State Parks will eventually scrape up some money to fix the roads.

Last updated: 2011-01-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:59 | 820 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/30
Overall: 41/474
Performance: Below average
Swim time includes pre-T1 run from the beach up hill and stairs, then a little more incline to the Swim In at the far right corner of transition
Suit: BlueSeventy Bibjohn
Course: Counter-clockwise rhomboid
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:47
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:35:15 | 11.5 miles | 19.57 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 85/474
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Heard some comments about the course being long, but forgot to look at my CatEye for the distance before leaving transition afterwards
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:47
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:32 | 03.11 miles | 09m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 242/474
Performance: Good
Course: Paved trails, dirt trail, and road
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-09-18 7:12 PM

User image

Master
Highlands Ranch
Subject: Crescent Moon Sprint Triathlon

2011-09-19 8:03 AM
in reply to: #3691377

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Subject: RE: Crescent Moon Sprint Triathlon
First thing I tjhought when I saw your swim time was that either the course was long or it was not one of your better swims.  Sorry that part did not go well for you.   It appears you made up for it on the bike and run though.  Nice job!

Edited by rayd 2011-09-19 8:03 AM
2011-09-21 12:00 PM
in reply to: #3691377

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Subject: RE: Crescent Moon Sprint Triathlon
Ah now you know how us mortals swim... Good race anyway, I  think you're fine doing a sprint 4 weeks out.  Beal is easy to spot; he has the raggedy wetsuit.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Crescent Moon Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed