General Discussion Race Reports! » Plano Balloon Festival 1/2 Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Plano Balloon Festival 1/2 Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Plano, Texas
United States
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 41m 33s
Overall Rank = 13/223
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/14
Event warmup:

Jogging to start line.
Run
  • 1h 41m 41s
  • 13.07 miles
  • 07m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Started well, and by two miles had bridged up to a group of runners from Frisco Running Club. We were in the top 10 at that point, and I paced with them at a challenging, but sustainable speed. We were probably averaging around 7:20/mi.

However, I fell apart a little after mile 9. Chest tightened up and breathing got labored (HR probably spiked up.) I walked the next aid station to get under control and could never get back into rhythm. Became a run/walk for the rest of the race, and I easily lost 5 or 6 positions overall.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure why it fell apart, so difficult to say what to change. Possibly too fast early in the race, but it felt comfortable and I was pacing well with the group.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, gatorade, and walk around. Did really do much stretching until I sat down to hear awards.

Event comments:

Despite my own issues, this was a good race, especially for its first year. Lots of volunteers and support. It was a bit too windy this morning for the balloon liftoff before the race. Instead, some of the crews took their baskets to points on the course and lit the burners as you ran past.

Being co-located with the balloon festival means other activities, food, and crafts are available to entertain non-racing family members.

Last updated: 2011-09-19 12:00 AM
Running
01:41:41 | 13.07 miles | 07m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/14
Overall: 13/223
Performance: Below average
Course: Mix of road and trails around Oak Point and Bob Woodruff parks. Some hills in the early miles made it a somewhat challenging course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes