View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Poipu, Hawaii
United States
Total Time = 5h 49m 48s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I absolutely adored this race! I reread the book "Running Within" just before this marathon. I knew I needed to get my mind back in the run after losing it a bit in The Full Moon Midnight 51k. It wasn't hard to keep a positive mental attitude in such a beautiful place though.

Event warmup:

The race start was right in front of the Kiahuna Plantation, where we were staying. I just got out of bed at 4am, got dressed, ate a Maca Mania bar, drank a cup of tea, then walked to the race start at 5am. The race start time was 6 am, so I had a bit of time to hang out and enjoy the energy of the crowd. After about 45 minutes of absorbing the moment and making port-a-potty visits, we lined up at the start. Dean Karnazes was co hosting this event with Bart Yasso. Dean gave us a few inspirational words before the gun went off. He said " Who all is doing the half marathon? (roar from about 3/4 of the crowd) You're going to have a great time! It's a beautiful course! Who is doing the full marathon? (smaller roar) Get ready to DIE!" Hah! A few minutes later, we were off.
Run
  • 5h 49m 48s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

There were tikki torches lining Poipu Drive, as it was still pretty dark at the race start. We ran as the sun was coming up...beautiful. We ran through the 100 year old eucalyptus trees at the tunnel of trees. I would be thankful for the trees and their shade many times throughout this race. I also loved the energy of all the other runners and spectators. I did some walk/run intervals in these early miles as I have chronically tight calves/achilles that don't warm up until 5 to 7 miles of running. So, I did some leap frogging with a few people. I was hoping to not have to walk early on, but decided to keep a positive attitude about it and found a mantra to keep me focused and positive. It helped me stay positive and gave me a rhythm to keep pushing forward.

After mile 5 my legs loosened up and I only walked the uphills. I power walked up them, and kept my heart rate in the 150s, then I ran downhill and any flats, although there wasn't much flat on this course. This was my plan to keep from getting too hot and as training for my 50 miler in December, which I plan to run with the same strategy.

At mile 11 the half marathoners turned left, while we marathoners turned right. I knew from reading the course description that it was now that things would get tough. There wasn't nearly as much shade, it was getting hotter, and the hills were longer and steeper. After splitting from the half marathoners, I saw the lead men running on their way back to the finish line. They were so focused and awesome! I cheered for them and a few cheered back for me. So much fun! There were some folks sitting outside a nursing home watching and cheering us on. I was so thankful for them and their encouragement and grateful to be able to do what I was doing. I teared up a bit, but kept on smiling.

Then at 13.5 miles, I looked up as someone said good job. I thought, "that guy looks familiar, hey it's Dean Karnazes". I said "HEY, nice job" Hah! I just told the Ultramarathon Man himself "nice job". Oh well, it was all I thought of at the time. It was getting really hot and I was so grateful to the awesome people who brought their hoses out to spray us down. I'd just raise my hands up, say "THANK YOU", and let them soak me. When there wasn't a hose I'd grab a cup of water and pour it over my head. A couple of the later aid stations had bags of ice. I can't remember whose race report I read it in, but thank you to the person I learned to put ice in my bra from... heaven.

As I began to make my way back down the hill towards the ocean, the most incredible views of the ocean were my reward and I couldn't stop grinning. To be running a marathon in Kauai was beyond my wildest dreams just 5 years ago. I encouraged people as I passed them. The last 4 miles were my best. The last 2 miles were HOT HOT HOT. I saw a guy down at the 25 mile marker being loaded into an ambulance and felt so bad for him, being so close and not getting to finish. I sent him good thoughts hoping all would be OK. There were several people who suffered heat exhaustion and dehydration, but no one was seriously hurt, thankfully. Then, I could hear the finish line announcer and music. Minutes later I could see the finish line. I was overjoyed. I thought given the heat and hills this would likely be my slowest marathon, but it wasn't. I felt awesome!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit and ate fruit and potato chips. The potato chips and fruit they had waiting at the finish line were the best ever!!!

Event comments:

This was a very well organized race with lots of aid stations and volunteers. The post race refreshments and activities were excellent. There is absolutely nothing they could have done better. I highly recommend this race!

Last updated: 2011-01-20 12:00 AM
Running
05:49:48 | 26.2 miles | 13m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Hilly course on paved roads. Total elevation gain 2,228ft
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-09-19 9:50 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Subject: The Kauai Marathon

2011-09-20 8:25 AM
in reply to: #3691936

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: The Kauai Marathon
Having a run in an amazing area is awesome....hearing Dean K say "NICE JOB" in the midst is so very cool!  A sweet race and good mental effort!!
2011-09-20 3:05 PM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Great job Roni - sounds like a beautiful course!  Good luck with the rest of your races this year.
2011-09-20 4:31 PM

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Congrats on a great race! And way to bounce back from what sounds like a tough previous race. I'm guessing a place like Kauai made that one seem a hundred years ago. This island is pure magic -- great job taking it all in and enjoying yourself along the marathon journey.
2011-09-20 5:47 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Great job Roni!  It sounds like the mental preparation you did was perfect.  I guess the location was too!

2011-09-20 6:39 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

Beautiful run for our beautiful Roni!!!!!  I love how you always take the time to remind yourself and all of us how lucky we are to be doing this stuff!

Way to stay tough with the heat and the crazy hills.  You are truly amazing. 

2011-09-20 9:03 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO
What an incredible experience and it sounds as though you had a great run!  Thanks for sharing!
2011-09-21 4:22 PM

Well done!  You've inspired me.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Kauai Marathon Rss Feed