General Discussion Race Reports! » Lakeside Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lakeside Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lakeside, Ontario
Canada
MultiSport Canada Inc.
10C / 50F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 19m 34s
Overall Rank = 49/269
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/30
Pre-race routine:

Loaded the family into the van and drove to site. Stopped at Tim Hortons 5 times - once for coffee and 4 times because I was still feeling the effects of my stomach flu. I've done no training since IMC and was worried about my conditioning - I was hoping to set a good time but between the tummy and fitness level there were many unanswered questions.
Event warmup:

It was a cold morning (about 7C when we arrived at 8am). I set up while wearing my zip-up sweatshirt and only changed into my wetsuit 15min before the race. Originally I was only going to wear the bottoms of the 2-piece wetsuit but with the cold weather I opted for both. I had cut the fore-arms off the top and was worried about it keeping me warm enough but it was not an issue.
Swim
  • 13m 55s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

I'm considering this one of my best triathlon swims ever. I started near the back of my wave as usual but after the intimidation of the IMC mass start and distance I never felt nervous - so I just swam at a good race pace the entire time. I passed most of my wave and quite a few from the wave ahead and I don't think anyone from the wave behind me caught up (a first for me). The wetsuit felt fine but there was some scratching on my breast where I glued a big tear. I may have to replace the top.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

Originally I was going to do the swim without a wetsuit or only in the bottoms and have the shoes already mounted on the bike and go sock-less. The cold weather changed all that. I was too slow getting my gear on.
Bike
  • 36m 46s
  • 20 kms
  • 32.64 km/hr
Comments:

At the last moment I decided not to use arm-warmers and opted to wear my big Addidas warm-up jacket on the bike. It was a smart decision - I lost some aerodynamics but the warmth gained was nice.

This bike segment really confused me. I felt as slow as molasses - I was working hard but only averaging around 33km/hr, something had to be wrong, after all, at the Binbrook sprint I averaged 35km/hr for 30km and Welland I averaged 34km/hr for 90km.. I figured my fitness level really dropped from not training for 3 weeks. It turned out I wasn't the only one struggling. The cold and wind really slowed down many people.

I would tuck in more. I think the slow speed was in large part to the wind, which always seemed to be head-on.
Transition 2
  • 00m 51s
Run
  • 26m 3s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 13s  min/km
Comments:

This is where my lack of training the past few weeks really affected me. All season long I've been running sub-5min/km off the bike but this time I just could not do it.

For the first 2km my feet were numb blocks of ice. It was frustrating to know I give up about 2 minutes over what I could have run a month earlier. The only consoling fact was that only one person from my Age Group passed me on that run.

Get in a few training runs.
Post race
Warm down:

No need to warm down - it was cold.
The HERO burgers went down nicely.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1. Stomach Flu all week (I lost 5lbs of fluids)
2. not enough run training since I finished IMC

Event comments:

This race is my perennial favorite. Even though the weather was a bit cool, I still had a great time. It was nice to see John Salt shaking people by the hand as they finished.

Last updated: 2011-09-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:55 | 750 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 9/30
Overall: 78/269
Performance: Good
Suit: T1 Desoto
Course: Square shaped swim in lake Sunova. Water temp was actually very pleasant.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 19C / 66F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:02
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:36:46 | 20 kms | 32.64 km/hr
Age Group: 6/30
Overall: 28/269
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Out and back on country roads.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:51
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:03 | 05 kms | 05m 13s  min/km
Age Group: 14/30
Overall: 107/269
Course: Out and back on country gravel road
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-09-20 4:37 PM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Subject: Lakeside Triathlon - Sprint Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lakeside Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed