United States
62F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 39m 20s
Overall Rank = 498/
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 63/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:30AM, I had already had everything packed in the car so I just had to wake up and go. Stopped at DD to get a muffin, I already had an OJ, banana, and cereal bar for the rest of the morning. I don't think I have much of a routine. I just try to be one of the first ones there. Not sure why, I just feel if something is going to go wrong I will have enough time to make it right. Got to Transition at 4:15AM (15 minutes before it opened) They let me in anyways, and I wasn't the first one. I don't feel so bad now. I was watching the weather all week and Sunday was supposed to be the nicest day of the week. We are talking about high 70's low 80's. When I looked at it the night before it was only going to be mid 70's but over night it was going to be cold. I wasn't prepping for cold, so I purchased some arm warmers at the bike tent. Set up my transition and was able to see all my family show up to support me on my first HIM
Event warmup:

I didn't do much of a warmup I was just trying to stay warm. I was able to get my feet wet a little before the pulled everybody in. The water was almost 20 degrees warmer then the air.
Swim
  • 42m 3s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first real swim test, for I was having breathing problems with all my other Tri's except for the last one. I figured out that I can't wear the real time Under Armor Compression tops. It was causing me to have problems breathing without even really moving. I'm glad I figured it out before this race. I thought this course would benefit me because I breathe out of my right side so I figured if I stayed to the far left I would be able to see everybody and know I was going in the right direction so I wouldn't have to site as much. The first 300 yards I was all over the place and couldn't calm my breathing down. I was still able to freestyle it but I was looking up more then I wanted too. Shortly after that I was somehow all the way over to the right and going along the buoy line (so much for my sighting plan). So I just made sure I could see at least one person to the right of me at all times. That seemed to help. As I was coming back to land I was actually passing people which made me feel pretty good. So far the best swim by far of any of my races, and a minute faster then my practice swim in the pool.
What would you do differently?:

get better at siting and not having to look up all the time.
Transition 1
  • 04m
Comments:

This race was about "Firsts" I have never had the opportunity for using a wetsuit stripper. I thought I would try it since I'll probably use it at LP in 2012. When I got to my spot I just felt out of place like I was trying to do too many things at once. I was just concentrating on making sure I didn't forget to bring anything.

I would have taped my Gels onto my bike or find a better way then trying to put them in my back pocket. I wasn't sure if I could swim with them back there or not. This was the first time using arm warmers so I brought them with me but didn't put them on in Transition I thought I could do it while out on the road. I found out early I coudln't do it so I pulled over and put them on.
Bike
  • 3h 20m 34s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.75 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew the hills were there for the first 14 miles. My test run earlier in the summer came out to around 14mph average. All my other training at home was between 17 and 19. I was looking for 17mph, it seemed like I wasn't going to get it with all those hills in the begining. I could tell my quads were burning from the begining. I wasn't sure how long I would be able to keep that up. I finished 10 minutes faster then I expected but I would pay for it on the run. I'm not sure how my nutrition worked, I didn't feel hungry or tired or bloated. I felt like I could keep going.

I would probably use the Gels taped to the bar. I tried using the power bar energy bites (oatmeal Rasin) I've used them in training and it seemed to work well, but I didn't seem to have an appitite for them during the race. Maybe my mouth was too dry and I couldn't get them down. Will have to experment with nutrition more. I'll have to think about the weather more and what I would wear during colder races.
Transition 2
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

I seem to do pretty good here. I only had to take stuff off and just put on my running shoes. This time I decided to run with a water bottle since I haven't run a half marathon before and I know I would have to drink stuff during this portion and I can't seem to drink from a cup while moving. It was nice with the Nathan's water bottle that I just squeeze it and it just pours out like a sports bottle. Very easy to drink from while running.

Nothing, I think I got this portion down. I just need to do it faster. I still seem to just be going through the motions because I don't want to forget anything.
Run
  • 2h 30m 55s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where things started to fall apart for me. At mile 2 my quads just locked up on me. This was pretty painful but I kept on going anyways. I must have be adjusting my stride because around mile 3 my hamstrings just locked up as well. I had to walk at that point until they cramping went away. Once it did that I knew I was in trouble. From that point on I walked and then ran a little, until I finished.

Not sure what my problem was. I didn't feel winded, my legs just cramped up on me and couldn't keep running at that pace. Maybe look at my nutrition
Post race
Warm down:

drank as much Ironman Perform as I could find

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Legs cramping up

Event comments:

Thought it was a good race for me being it was my first HIM, thought it was pretty hilly on the run so alot of people were walking up the hills.

Last updated: 2011-05-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:03 | 2112 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 50/
Overall: 387/
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex 4
Course: It was a one loop course in clockwise direction
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:20:34 | 56 miles | 16.75 mile/hr
Age Group: 61/
Overall: 449/
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: The course was a 1 loop hilly course. First 14 miles seemed to be all uphill
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:48
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:30:55 | 13.1 miles | 11m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 63/
Overall: 498/
Performance: Bad
Course: It was a 2 loop course and there were some nasty hills on this one. This is the first time with the course like this. Last year it was a point to point into the city
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes