General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rear tire repeatedly flat? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-09-18 8:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mesa AZ
Subject: Rear tire repeatedly flat?

2 weeks ago I went to do a brick and found my rear tire flat.  OK.  That happens.  So last weekend I replaced it (brand new tube) and did a short brick - 9 miles, no problem.  put bike away.  Today I went to do another one; out of paranoia I squeezed the tires and they both felt ok.  Well, things were feeling weird fairly quickly so I got myself somewhere safe and got off to look.  Low and behold, the rear tire with the new tube was flat.

Now, I acknowledge that I ride on roads and there could just be crap on them.  But is there anything mechanical that could cause something like this to happen?  Once seems like normal chance, but twice within a space of 12 miles of riding seems excessive....

Can anyone give me pointers on what to look for? 

2005-09-18 8:45 PM
in reply to: #248876

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: Rear tire repeatedly flat?
I think it depends what side the puncture is on. If it's the non-rim side, maybe you need to see if there is something stuck in the tire that keeps puncturing it. You should maybe train in one of those kevlar tires like the Continental Ultra Gators (what I have).

If it's on the rim side, it may be the rim tape getting worn out. On my MTB, that's what happened and I have to buy some more from the lbs.

Also, I think because most of our weight is on the rear tire, that tube needs to be pumped up very high, almost to the max, since it will be more prone to pinch flats than the front tire. I always check and pump my tires to the max before I ride. Doesn't matter if it was only one night because in one night, the pressure can decrease by 20-25 psi (what I noticed).

Edited by auto208562 2005-09-18 8:47 PM
2005-09-18 11:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Peoria AZ
Since we are on the subject of rear tire flats...I've begun to notice that most of my rear flats are caused by debris that I tried to dodge from hitting with the front tire.  I'm begining to wonder if it isn't better to just go ahead and run over the debris with the front tire because it would be easier to change that tire out than the back tire.  Not to mention less messy.
2005-09-19 7:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Queensland
Gold member
I've flatted twice in quick succession (<20km) on a very hot day (>37'C) last summer. Figured it was a result of a pinch from re-inserting the tube but interestingly lots of people were having flats that day as well! Not quite sure why that was.
2005-09-19 8:35 AM

Master
Colorado

Take the tube and tire off the rim, but KEEP everything lined up so you know where it came off.  Pump some air into the tube and locate the puncture.  Inspect the tire in that area, then inspect the rim.  Pay particular attention to the condition of your rim tape.  If you don't find anything in either of those two area's it was most likely coincidence.  When you put the new tube in, spread a little baby powder around inside the tire first.  It will help everything seat easier, and reduce the chance of the tube getting pinched as you inflate.

2005-09-19 9:02 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
I recently had a string of flats...combination of pinch flats (1), spoke holes in the rim causing problems (2-3), and finally a crappy tire (2-3).  Everyone made great suggestions...all good stuff to check.  One thing I didn't see anything about was the tire.  Bring it to your LBS and let them look at it.  It could be bad.  My rear tire only had 1000 miles on it before it was shot.

2005-09-19 3:56 PM

User image

Lake Jackson, Texas
I was going thru flats like crazy. It was a combination of things. Underinflation, then rim tape, then extremely dirty roads.
Fixed it by:
- Inflatting tires to prevent pinch flats. I don't even ride without checking tire pressure.
- replaced worn/cheap rim tape that came with wheels.
- I tried several different tires but they ALL got punctures regardless of how tuff they were. Finally added some Mr. Tuffy inserts for road bikes and have only had one flat since then. It was a big nail that nothing would have stopped anyways.

Like someone else said, try to seat the tire in the same place everytime so you can pump up your flat tube and see where the problem is. If you know where your tire was seated then you can go back and try to find the culprit in the tire. I always put the letters/label of the tire by the valve.

Oh, one more thing. I found that tightning the presta valve core was also something that prevented those "slow" leaks. Hope you find your problem and get it fixed.
2005-09-20 5:48 PM
in reply to: #248891

User image

Master
Michigan
auto208562 - 2005-09-18 9:45 PM

I think it depends what side the puncture is on. If it's the non-rim side, maybe you need to see if there is something stuck in the tire that keeps puncturing it. You should maybe train in one of those kevlar tires like the Continental Ultra Gators (what I have).

If it's on the rim side, it may be the rim tape getting worn out. On my MTB, that's what happened and I have to buy some more from the lbs.

Also, I think because most of our weight is on the rear tire, that tube needs to be pumped up very high, almost to the max, since it will be more prone to pinch flats than the front tire. I always check and pump my tires to the max before I ride. Doesn't matter if it was only one night because in one night, the pressure can decrease by 20-25 psi (what I noticed).

I love my Continental Ultra Gators they are great.
2005-09-24 8:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago and therabouts

Had about 5 flats in one afternoon...ended up that a spoke was going through the rim "tape". Had it redone...no problems since.  Check if it happens in same place...Save your innertubes and line them up. It usually is not the tire!

JT

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rear tire repeatedly flat? Rss Feed