Ironman
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 58m 57s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Two weeks before this race, I had planned on racing Rev3 Cedar Point. The Monday before that race, I got a really terrible cold, and knew I wouldn't be 100% for the race, so I bailed. Luckily for me, I hadn't paid my money yet, so I had extra money saved to pay a race entry fee. When I saw that Syracuse was the next weekend and it wasn't sold out, I figured it would be perfect- close to home, I knew people racing, and it counted as a 'pro' qualifying race (big enough prize purse).

Mike (cusetri) and his wife were gracious enough to host me for the weekend. I met up with them and did a swim on Saturday, then tested out my bike. My gears had been shifting funny, so I had the mechanic fix it for me. One thing that I did NOT do was pump up my tires all the way before I rode. I didn't think it would be a big deal....oops.
Event warmup:

The morning of the race I kept myself pretty distracted, chatting with Mike, Matt and Jen, so I didn't have as much pre-race anxiety as I usually do. I only puked a tiny bit, and my stomach was really settled- GREAT!

Race morning was cold- 45 degrees. I set up my transition area and got my wetsuit on to stay warm. With about 10min before the pro's were starting, I got in the water and swam to warm up- literally- the water was 62 degrees. I felt great in my wetsuit and was pretty calm, for me.
Swim
  • 33m 39s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Our wave was first- right after the pro women. I started right up front, and right along the buoy line. When the gun went off, I sprinted hard. I could only see about 2 people ahead of me, but they were swimming way off to the left, so I would have to veer way off course to get on their feet. I kept an eye on them, but they just weren't swimming anywhere near the buoy line, so I just couldn't risk going all the way over, and besides, they were farther ahead, so I didn't even think I could catch them. I kept expecting at least another girl to be near me, but there was no one. I was completely alone. By the time we got to the first turn buoy, I couldn't see anyone ahead of me either. This was weird. I've never not had someone to follow in the swim before!

I turned at the buoy and was RIGHT in the sun. To make matters worse, there was a slight fog off the water, so it was absolutely impossible to see any buoys. There also weren't any more kayakers around, so I had no idea if I was going in the right direction! I knew the course was a rectangle, so I just trusted myself, and swam as straight as possible into the sun. Along this stretch, I had to stop 3 times to block the sun with my hand and spot the next buoy. I tried to turn at the wrong buoy, but luckily there was a kayaker there to stop me right away and tell me to go one more buoy (I couldn't tell that this one was orange, not red). The sunlight was so bad, and I admit, I got a bit frustrated out there. I had to stop at least once more and actually ask the guy on a jet ski where the buoy was! My goggles were totally fine- it was just impossible to see! I've never felt so lost on a swim before, but I guess if you're in the first wave, and a sort of fast swimmer, then you might get lost!
What would you do differently?:

Trust myself more. Except for the one slight misturn, I was heading in the right direction the entire time. I can swim pretty darn straight, so I should've just pushed on and had faith that the buoys would appear. When I was swimming, I was swimming hard and strong, and felt great, but stopping and feeling slightly panicked took a few minutes off my time.
Transition 1
  • 03m 38s
Comments:

The wetsuit strippers got my suit off fast, and I ran OK up to T1. My feet were completely numb, which was probably good since we had to run over a parking lot for about 800yards or so. Then the fun began! I really hope someone was videoing T1 as all of us freezing athletes tried to put on arm warmers or tight fitting jerseys on our soaked, numb bodies. THAT was ridiculous! Luckily everyone's T1s are in 3 min range- it takes forever to get arm warmers on!

Turn up the heat to about 65 degrees- not 48! :)
Bike
  • 2h 48m 25s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.95 mile/hr
Comments:

As I was pushing my bike out of transition, it was making some funny noises, but I thought it was just the wet grass getting stuck on the tire (this happens to me a lot at home). I got on and started pedaling hard to try and warm up my freezing cold body parts. My feet were still numb and my muscles felt weird and achey from the cold. I ignored it and just focused on riding my power numbers. I knew they would start pretty high because we would be climbing a ton for the first part of the course. The hills were quite a bit steeper than I expected, but not terrible. The weird part was that I kept hearing funny noises from my bike, whenever I stood, and it kept feeling like something was grabbing my rear tire. I knew I had checked my bike the night before, so I just decided to ignore it.

On the bike course I again found myself all alone. In most races, I have people to catch and pass, so it took a bit more mental focus to stay on point for this one. I didn't see a single other girl out there for the whole ride, and had maybe 2 or 3 dudes pass me- that was it. My power was really high to get up the hills at the beginning, but my legs felt decent, so I just had confidence that my speed would climb back up towards the end of the race. One of the last hills that we hit at the beginning was a steep downhill followed by a steep uphill. Climbing up that hill, I knew for sure that something was wrong with my bike, but I had to wait till I got to the top to figure it out, or else I'd have to walk up that hill. At the top, I just figured my brakes were rubbing, so I opened them up and kept riding- never bothering to spin the wheel, since I could see the space in the brakes. Big mistake.

The rest of the ride was gorgeous- the scenery is amazing, and the roads were in pretty good shape. I just kept focusing on my power numbers, and they were great, right where they should be between 175 and 180, but my speed was LOW. Really, really low. Again, I just figured my speed would come back up in the back half of the course, since that's when it was supposed to be downhill. I wish I could bring this course home with me and train on it every weekend- I loved the challenging hills, and even when we were having a net downhill, there were still a lot of littler ups to keep you working.

Since I was going slower, I knew to eat and drink just a bit more, and also took a few more salt sticks to prepare for the run. At Steelhead, I didn't take enough fluid, because it was cooler, and it made the run pretty hard, so I made sure to not make that same mistake on this very cold day.

Finally we got to the last few miles of the course, and my speed was still hovering below 20mph. Despite the fact that I didn't get passed by any girls on the course, and only a few guys, I was really disappointed in how slowly I went- especially since I was able to maintain the same power I had at Steelhead, and had a way higher power than Musselman, both of which I went WAY faster (3mph faster at Steelhead, but it is uber-flat). I tried hard to keep a positive mental outlook, and was really looking forward to this run!

The volunteers on the course were great, and there were a surprising number of people out there cheering for us! It was awesome to have that much support! There were also a ton of chalk messages on the roads. There were some truly awesome support teams out there! All of these things made my lonely ride more fun :)

Now, the explanation for my bike split: When the race was over, and I was wheeling my bike out of transition, it almost wouldn't budge. Huh. So, I looked down, and saw to my horror (and relief, I suppose) that the rear wheel was rubbing against the frame in the cut out. Ohmygod what a stupid stupid mistake!! It finally dawned on me that I was using a slightly bigger tube than I normally ride, since I broke my old one changing to my Mich Pro3s, and this was the last spare. My rear drop out position was fine for the old tubes, but with a bigger tube, the tire was touching the frame at one part- but only when the tire was pumped up to 110 psi. Since I rode it at 80psi's the night before, I didn't have this problem. What an IDIOT! I was pretty mad at myself, but I also felt better about why my bike speed was so slow, compared to my power numbers. I seriously need a professional bike mechanic to accompany me to every race and take care of me- I have made so many bike maintenance errors, it's not even funny!

Trust my gut!! When it feels like something is grabbing my rear wheel, it probably is! Ha!
Transition 2
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

I had to be a little careful coming into T2 because my feet were still completely numb. I was super excited to put on my new Zoot Ovwas and get running in them! This was my first race with tri-specific shoes!
Run
  • 1h 31m 42s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m  min/mile
Comments:

A dude caught me in transition, so we headed out on the run together. My feet were numb, so it felt like my feet were amputated, but I ignored it and kept up a good cadence and focused on my breathing. The first mile was downhill, so it felt great to clock a 6:40 mile, but at mile 2, we hit the first hill. Right as I turned into this section, the 2nd place pro was starting her 2nd loop, so she was just ahead of me. I used her to pace off of for the entire first loop, and was extremely happy with myself for keeping her in sight the entire time. My mile spilts were mostly coming in under 7's, and they seemed to be very consistent, despite the rolling terrain.

There were lots of folks out cheering for us, and I got to see the people I knew that were there throughout the course, which was totally awesome. My legs felt pretty fresh, my breathing was great and my stomach was cooperating- YAH!! I was much happier on the run then I've been at nearly any other race, and finally felt like I was having the run I trained for. This course was really hard, but I just thought about running strong on the downhills and flats, and keeping things in check on the uphills. I took in water at every aid station, and perform at every other. On the second loop I had cola and water at every aid station. I only ate 1 gu, and if I did anything wrong, it was not having a second Gu. By the last mile, I got the heavy legs indicating not enough glucose- but that's OK, only my last mile was bad, but up until that point, I ran in control and ran strong. I am very happy with my run! And I LOVED my shoes!

The run course is a really nice course. It goes through a lovely neighborhood that had a lot of people out cheering us on. The hills are hard, but not crazy or anything. As I ran into the finish, the announcer said that I was the first amateur woman to cross the line- sweet! I didn't celebrate yet, because the 30-34 age group started a lot later than me- I would just have to wait!

Not much. This is just about the same time I've run on far flatter courses, so I'm really happy with my pace and effort.
Post race
Warm down:

Since Mike is super fast, he finished soon after I did, as well as his friend Matt. I stood around and chatted, then finally found my friend who was there. It took a while, but once they started posting the results, I could confirm that I was in fact 1st Amateur female- by over 10 minutes!! Sweet! If I had been racing pro, I would've been last- but only by 1 second, lol!

Although my time for this race is far off my PR, I still had a very solid race, and placed higher than I have at most other Ironman 70.3 races. Because I placed 1st amateur, I have the option of getting my pro card next year! I will ponder this for the next few months, since I would apply in January, but it is extremely exciting to even have that option. I did not grow up as an athlete, so to have a chance to be a 'pro' triathlete is pretty insane, to me, even if I do come in my last as a pro.

I also want to give credit where credit is due- thank you SO much to Coach Jorge (e3ts.com) for getting me to this point! Jorge has allowed me to continue to improve in training and racing all while being super busy by focusing on quality workouts- no junk miles! And also thank you to my husband and best friend Ryan (yeats) for being the best support and best training partner anyone could ask for.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Stupidity and lack of confidence. I absolutely have to check my bike out 100% before a race- ON RACE DAY- because a mistake like this cost me a lot of time. And I've made stupid mistakes like this before, so I should know better!

Event comments:

This is one of my favorite races on the 70.3 circuit. The course is gorgeous and challenging, the volunteers and spectators were great and the RD's really did a great job with everything. It also had a better vibe than some other 70.3's that I've done- it felt more like a 'local' event, in a really good way- but still had plenty of tough competition and the other details that you'd expect from a WTC event. I highly recommend the race, especially when they move it to June when the temps should be above 50!!

Last updated: 2011-09-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:39 | 2112 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: De Soto T1
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:38
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:48:25 | 56 miles | 19.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course: Hard. Hills. Long, kinda steep climbs for the first 15 miles, but there are still plenty of rollers on the back half to make you work! Very fair course with good road conditions.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:33
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:31:42 | 13.1 miles | 07m  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Performance: Good
Course: Hills! Mile by mile, the ups and downs even each other out for the most part. The uphills are short and steep, while the downhills are a bit more gradual, which means it's a little easier to gain back time without getting cramps in your quads.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-09-21 2:51 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Syracuse

2011-09-21 4:28 PM
in reply to: #3695406

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-09-21 5:01 PM

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Syracuse
Was so happy to see you dominate at this race! You are an awesome competitor and I love following you! I totally understand and feel the need for my own personal mechanic as well! So glad that, in the end, the mechanical didn't negatively impact your final standing!! Can't wait to see what you do next year!
2011-09-22 9:08 AM

Master
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Great report!  You're an amazing person -- not just athlete. I don't know how you do it all, Ryan, Cody, school AND triathlon!! When you get your pro card, I get to say "Hey, I know her", hee hee :D
2011-09-22 11:44 AM

I am so proud of you!  T&K give you some 'woofs' for a job well done!  You rock!
2011-09-22 11:21 PM

Expert
Wellington, North Island

Nice job Alaina!

You were only one second off the last place pro. Just imagine. Without the tire issue, you would've done better than last place pro.

2011-09-23 5:42 AM

Expert

Great report Jazz! 

I always tell Ron (the most wonderful man with a bike stand in the world!...the head wrench at Fraser Bike) I want to put him in my pocket and take him to my races!   He's kind of tall and would probably slow me down a bit though! I guess no matter how much racing you've done, there is always something to do better.  Part of the fun, no?

Congrats on a fabulous race.  I never knew you didn't grow up an athlete!  You've got so much talent and determination,  I just assumed you'd been cometitive your whole life !!!  I get the feeling of awe (not that I can go pro lol) because I never had the term athlete and my name in the same sentence till my 40's!  

Congrats to Jorge of course, but really, take some congrats for yourself.  My old coach used to tell me that he's only the coach...it's up to me to make it happen, so congrats girl for MAKING IT HAPPEN!

PS...the gal who won OA female at TTT is a pro at 42.  She raced Rev3 Full and came in 3rd in 9:45...and I'm guessing got a paycheck.  

2011-09-23 7:41 AM

Master
syracuse

congrats Jazz!!

great race and it was fun chatting with you all weekend!

2011-09-23 7:58 AM

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
You rock, girl.
2011-09-23 1:37 PM

2nd to last Pro time, with a rubbing wheel.  So realistically with a proper set-up you would've been middle of the pack Pro.  What's to think about!!  Cash in that Pro Card   Congrats on 1st Amateur Female.
2011-09-23 2:22 PM

Master
Guilford, CT
awesome!

2011-09-23 4:39 PM

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Super job! So great that you were able to get to this race and DOMINATE!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Syracuse Rss Feed