General Discussion Triathlon Talk » good and the bad (but more good) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-21 10:06 PM

Subject: good and the bad (but more good)

I will start off with the good my swim finally truthfully clicked after struggling thru my first tri swim. I am no longer worried about this weekends sprint swim. I went from being stuck at 200 yards to almost at a mile within a month. It wasn't my fitness but i finally learned to relax and then almost instantaneously my distance more than doubled over night. Even better news is i rented a wetsuit for my sprint this weekend went to the open water swim tonight to practice i felt great! After getting over my fear of lake monsters and what happens if i see a dead body or something lol. So from end of june to end of September i went from struggling thru 25 yards to closing in a on a mile my goal for october is to hit that mile! thanks everyone for tips and advice.

Onto the bad my run has started to suck i am getting faster but have been cramping up real easily with in the first mile of any of my runs the last two weeks. Which is very strange as this has never been a problem and i consider my self a some what solid runner. Any reason why this might happen and any tips to prevent it.

thanks everyone!!

2011-09-21 10:36 PM
in reply to: #3695933

User image

Master
Houston
Subject: RE: good and the bad (but more good)

Grats on the swim break through.

I am no expert so take this with a grain of salt but... You said you are running faster, and now you are getting cramps.

I suspect you are starting out too fast. 

It is hard to tell without logs etc.

I suggest you start out slower, and build up durring the run.

Good luck.

2011-09-22 12:11 AM

I have been going out slow my overall time over the last month has dropped by 10 secs a mile but even if i do run slower its still happening kinda of weird maybe it will shake its self out shortly. Thanks the swim thing really happened over night and it no longer feels like choir to swim but a relaxing time. Also didn't add this to the good before but i met a fellow female triathlete and really hit it off as well this sport rocks!
2011-09-22 12:15 AM
in reply to: #3695958

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
NewClydesdale - 2011-09-21 11:36 PM

Grats on the swim break through.

I am no expert so take this with a grain of salt but... You said you are running faster, and now you are getting cramps.

I suspect you are starting out too fast. 

It is hard to tell without logs etc.

I suggest you start out slower, and build up durring the run.

Good luck.

Yup...this guaranteed.  GUARANTEED.

You say you start out "slow".  That's good, seriously.  Now slow down more.  Patience patience patience patience.  This is what I have to tell myself.

2011-09-22 12:16 AM
in reply to: #3695999

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

Fogflip - 2011-09-22 1:11 AM I have been going out slow my overall time over the last month has dropped by 10 secs a mile but even if i do run slower its still happening kinda of weird maybe it will shake its self out shortly. Thanks the swim thing really happened over night and it no longer feels like choir to swim but a relaxing time. Also didn't add this to the good before but i met a fellow female triathlete and really hit it off as well this sport rocks!

Are we talking side stitches or leg cramps or what?  Try breathing out all the way until you tighten your abs like you're doing a standing crunch.

2011-09-22 12:55 AM

Side stitches everything else is fine ill try slowing down even more see if that helps or maybe stretching for a bit longer than i do now thanks!

2011-09-22 6:04 AM
in reply to: #3696017

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Fogflip - 2011-09-22 12:55 AMSide stitches everything else is fine ill try slowing down even more see if that helps or maybe stretching for a bit longer than i do now thanks!
Have you changed anything in your pre-workout nutrition ? And with side stitches, for me, it was a matter of a weak core. My legs and lungs were fine but I reached a pace that was beyond my core fitness.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » good and the bad (but more good) Rss Feed