General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Elbow Bursitis Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-22 11:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Missouri
Subject: Elbow Bursitis
Have anyone ever had to deal with elbow bursitis ? I did my first HIM this past weekend and my elbow was like a baseball later that evening. By the morning it had filled up with more fluid that I had to make a dr's appointment to have it drained. They got most of it, but not all of it and recommended I take some Naproxen. It's still bothersome but I really want to get back on my Cervelo P2 and not have to use my road bike w/o aero bars.

Has anyone else had one of these from riding on their aero bars for too long ?

2011-10-11 1:38 PM
in reply to: #3696503

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Elbow Bursitis

Hopefully you're well on the way to back to normal.  The elbow is pretty complex so I'm just guessing and not an MD but your problem was likely an inflamed bursa at the olecranon process.  Sometimes referred to as "School Elbow".  It could also have been lateral epicondylitis (tennis elbow) or medial epicondylitis (golfers elbow).

By your description and the actions involved I would suspect the bursa.  I had this many years ago when spending a lot of time studying at a desk with my chin resting on my hands and my elbows on the desk.  It took a while to resolve and was quite painful but nothing lingering just stay off your elbow for a while.

2013-07-11 12:40 PM
in reply to: triathlonandy

I'm currently having the same issue (though not from aero bars -- seems to have come up completely randomly).

How did you fare? Any advice?
2013-07-11 1:10 PM
in reply to: triathlonandy

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I had elbow bursistis a few years ago, but it was from the repeated impact of hammering nails all day while volunteering at Habitat for Humanity.  I never heard of it being caused by aerobars.

I can't take any NSAID's due to other meds I take.  I had the elbow drained and got a cortisone shot (which hurt like h***).  Rested it for a couple of weeks and it was OK.

Mark

2013-07-11 7:05 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Be careful it doesn't get infected.  That would be a mess and your season would be over.  As an orthopod I never ever drain these.  I tell people you can live with it or let me get rid of it in surgery and be done with it.  The reason is that I am the one who is stuck with the disaster when the primary care doc drains it and it gets infected.  Then I have to take the person to the OR a couple times to wash it out they are in the hospital for a week and on IV antibiotics for 6 weeks.  I hope you get well but sacrifice a few days of riding and let it heal. 
2013-07-13 10:11 PM
in reply to: Socks

Thanks for the quick responses!

Red - it wasn't from aerobars (don't have them actually) - Came up very suddenly the morning after a recovery/rest day, which makes it all the more perplexing. Hopefully taking it a bit easier on strength days and perhaps paying a bit attention while swimming will not prolong the healing process too much.

Socks - I'm hoping its not infected as well. Have an appointment with my ortho next Wednesday (exactly one week after the unexplained development) and will take it from there, I guess.

Any tips to lessen the chance for any aggravation during training?

Paul

2013-07-16 1:48 PM
in reply to: PaulZ323

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by PaulZ323 Thanks for the quick responses! Red - it wasn't from aerobars (don't have them actually) - Came up very suddenly the morning after a recovery/rest day, which makes it all the more perplexing. Hopefully taking it a bit easier on strength days and perhaps paying a bit attention while swimming will not prolong the healing process too much. Socks - I'm hoping its not infected as well. Have an appointment with my ortho next Wednesday (exactly one week after the unexplained development) and will take it from there, I guess. Any tips to lessen the chance for any aggravation during training? Paul

Stay out of Aero And if your aero pads are worn get them changed out.  When you go back to riding then wear some arm warmers or arm coolers just to have a layer of fabric between your skin and the aeropad.  Hope the doc visit goes well!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Elbow Bursitis Rss Feed