General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike fit + bike + bike fit? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-22 11:50 AM

User image

Milwaukee, WI
Subject: Bike fit + bike + bike fit?

Sort of a silly question, but I impulsively purchased my road bike 3 years ago without getting fitted and this time I want to do it right.  I'm looking to buy my first TT/tri bike in the next month or so, and want to know the best process for getting it done.  I've searched the forums and didn't find a discussion that really hit the point I'm asking on.

Right now, I'm set up for a GURU fit coming up without knowing what size frame I should be on, what geometry fits best, and without having any measurements taken.  This isn't a cheap process, and I have a limited budget so I want to make sure the bulk of that budget goes towards getting me the best fitting bike.  I understand that a GURU fit will help dial in the hypothetical "best" fit (and determine the best frame size, etc.), but in my head it makes more sense for basic measurements to be taken, a bike sized according to that, and then be fitted on the actual bike.  Am I off base with this?

As it is now, I'll be getting a GURU fit, buying a bike based on that fit, and then be fitted on the bike.  Am I going about this the right way, or does it make more sense to figure out the bike/frame size that fits best and be fitted on that bike without the GURU fit?

Help?

2011-09-22 12:43 PM
in reply to: #3696509

User image

Veteran
Bedford, NH
Subject: RE: Bike fit + bike + bike fit?

I dont know anything about the GURU fit.  Sounds like this is geared towards buying a Guru.  Nice bikes!

But these would be the steps I would follow:

1) Get a bike fit to determine what bike will fit you best.  A good fitter will use more than measurements to determine this (your goals, flexibility, injury history, etc).  This will also determine your starting point for stem angle/length, seat height, bar type/position, etc...  This will get you 80% there.

2) Buy Recommended Bike and have it set to position based on fit

3) Ride for a few months in this new position

4) Tweak position.  This could involve going back to bike fitter (and/or wind tunnel) to dial in the last 20% of your position.  This could be a long process that you need to repeat several times, especially as things change (your fitness, flexibility, goals, injuries, desire to change components on your bike, etc).

2011-09-22 12:50 PM
in reply to: #3696599

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
I am a fan of "what makes sense" to you, and am concerned about your current plan, assuming a GURU fit has to do with buying only a GURU bike.

What I recommend now, having done it myself, is:

1.  Get an independent bike fit, which includes measurements and a printout you can keep AND a discussion with the fitter about appropriate bikes.  So, go into the session with the bikes you're interested in and the associated specifications/size charts.
2.  Buy the bike
3.  Bring it back to the fitter to have it setup for you.  Make sure to discuss this with fitter to know if it's included in price, etc. 
2011-09-22 12:55 PM

User image

Milwaukee, WI

Thanks for the feedback so far.

I should have done a better job explaining.  GURU Dynamic Fit Unit is the machine I am getting fitted on, and it's one of those funky looking contraptions that allows you to stay on the machine while making adjustments on the fly.  It's a machine created by GURU and it can be used to feed the data in to a custom GURU bike build, but it was posed to me as one of the tools in determining your overall bike fit.  I believe it gives you all the necessary measurements to determine the "best" fit as it detects power output and all those jazzy metrics.  Whether the data is then used to buy an actual custom GURU bike is up to the person being fitted (and I think they might be out of my budget ).

I have extremely limited knowledge on what it does - I only know what the fitter told me about it and the limited info I could bring up in a Google search.  If anyone is more versed in this area, please educate me!

2011-09-22 12:57 PM
in reply to: #3696619

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
I think you're doing it right.

Getting the fit determined using a method, which happens to be Guru (my fitter happened to use something else, but not all that different)

They spit out the information needed to select the bike.

And have you confirmed that you then come back, with new bike, to be fitted on it?  If so, then you're doing it right.

Edited to add: I don't know about this particular fit system and I would be inclined to call the fitter and ask before you go, if you're unsure about any of it.  You won't be the only person who has asked.

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2011-09-22 12:58 PM
2011-09-22 2:24 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
You got it all correct and in the right order. The GURU Dynamic fit bike is a very interesting tool, but keep in mind that you need to trust your fitter, not the tool...

2011-09-23 1:36 AM

JRL - 2011-09-22 11:50 AM

Sort of a silly question, but I impulsively purchased my road bike 3 years ago without getting fitted and this time I want to do it right.  I'm looking to buy my first TT/tri bike in the next month or so, and want to know the best process for getting it done.  I've searched the forums and didn't find a discussion that really hit the point I'm asking on.

Right now, I'm set up for a GURU fit coming up without knowing what size frame I should be on, what geometry fits best, and without having any measurements taken.  This isn't a cheap process, and I have a limited budget so I want to make sure the bulk of that budget goes towards getting me the best fitting bike.  I understand that a GURU fit will help dial in the hypothetical "best" fit (and determine the best frame size, etc.), but in my head it makes more sense for basic measurements to be taken, a bike sized according to that, and then be fitted on the actual bike.  Am I off base with this?

As it is now, I'll be getting a GURU fit, buying a bike based on that fit, and then be fitted on the bike.  Am I going about this the right way, or does it make more sense to figure out the bike/frame size that fits best and be fitted on that bike without the GURU fit?

Help?

I am in a very close problem.  Same as I bought my road bike years ago.  Now knowing I am going to get a Tri bike in march, the GURU machine is a option in my area.  Please post back how your fit goes.  Like you say it's not cheap and going to a couple fitters to try them out is very expensive.

2011-09-23 7:16 AM
in reply to: #3696793

User image

Champion
MA

audiojan - 2011-09-22 3:24 PM You got it all correct and in the right order. The GURU Dynamic fit bike is a very interesting tool, but keep in mind that you need to trust your fitter, not the tool...

Listen to this^^^

Ask about the fitter, how much experience they have and if they have done a lot of TT fits.

When fitting tools/systems come out (Guru, Retuel, FIST ect) folks go out learn how to use the tool in a weekend class then come back and say they are certified in xxx system. That doesn't mean much as fitting is an art and the system they use to measure is just a tool.

In your local area, have other triathletes used this fitter? been pleased with fit?

Post on your State's forum for feedback on good fitters.

Where I live if you ask around, there are probably 4-5 fitters that their names come up when asking about fit.

I've been fit by 4 different folks over the years and they have each fit me quite different. If fit was an exact science that wouldn't have happened.

I agree the order in which you are looking at things is best. There is a stack and reach table that can help you see what TT bikes (size, brand and model) will fit once you have those coordinates.

2011-09-23 10:23 AM
in reply to: #3697305

User image

Milwaukee, WI

Puppetmaster - 2011-09-23 1:36 AM 

I am in a very close problem.  Same as I bought my road bike years ago.  Now knowing I am going to get a Tri bike in march, the GURU machine is a option in my area.  Please post back how your fit goes.  Like you say it's not cheap and going to a couple fitters to try them out is very expensive.

The machine is very cool - they make adjustments on the fly and you never have to get off.  Like other people mentioned, it seemed like my fitter really just used the GURU fit machine as a means to an end and not one tool in a complex process.  That was pretty disappointing, and the process wasn't nearly as comprehensive as I had imagined.  Then, the fitter put me on a bike that he said I was at the "extreme end of fitting," but he would make it work because he really liked what the manufacturer had done with their bikes this year.  Red flag.  From there, it was about adding spacers and risers and what not to make the bike work, where I really felt like I should have been put on a better geometry to begin with.  I felt like a bike was being fitted to me, rather than me being fitted to a bike.

All-in-all, the machine was very cool.  I would echo what everyone else said and research your fitter.  Talk to them before your fit to get their background, what they are going to do, and ask people in your area if they recommend them.  The fitter is much more important than whatever tool they use!

2011-09-26 12:10 AM

I'm in a similar situation as the OP, but I'm scratching my head in how to apply the fit data that I'll receive from the fitting to a used bike purchase.  I can see how this process would be much easier for a new bike purchase from a LBS, but how would I approach this for a used bike purchase where I can't make a bunch of measurements?

Would using the manufacturer's specs for the model I'm looking to purchase and comparing it to my fit data be sufficient?  Or can I skip the pre-purchase bike fit, use my in-seam measurements as a general starting point and then bring the bike in for a fit adjustment at that point?

I'm on a very limited budget (but want to get the most bike I can for my money), so that's why I'd like to buy a used bike.  Would a bike fit generally include a pre-purchase fit appointment or is that an extra charge on top of the fit adjustment to the bike you want fitted?

Thanks,
Steve

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike fit + bike + bike fit? Rss Feed