General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Set Up Events Series Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-23 8:41 AM

User image

North Carolina
Subject: Set Up Events Series

So, since the last Set Up newsletter said that registration for next year is going to be opening on November 1, I have already begun thinking a little about the next season. 2012 will only be my second full season in triathlon so I am still feeling out how many races in a year I am comfortable with. 

I am curious if the more seasoned among you usually try to keep all your events in one of the series that Set Up puts on? Or if you just pick and choose based on what fits best in your schedule and geographic needs. If you do try to focus on a series, which one do you choose - seeing as how Set Up holds two in North Carolina: Inside Out and TrySports. Is one more "prestigious" than the other? Or what is the difference? Not that I'm looking for prestige by any means - I'm just wondering how they decide which event goes in which series.

Thanks!

2011-09-23 9:10 AM
in reply to: #3697522

User image

Master
Charlotte
Subject: RE: Set Up Events Series

The inside out series is the more presigious one (i.e. they have a bigger budget and some newer/nicer equipment).  They are both run managed similarly though.

I pick and choose what fits my schedule, not what series it is (although all but one of mine has been in the ISOS series and one for the Trysports series).  I could care less about my series points total as I ain't getting any awards.  It just happens that I like the venues in the Inside Out series and they usually fit my schedule and locale. 

2011-09-23 9:11 AM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
The InsideOuts Sports series is more highly regarded.  In my opinion, the TrySports series is more for beginners.  The TrySports series has less races, the races are shorter, and there are less participants.  You hardly ever have "elites" racing that series.  In fact, this year is the first year that they even offered the "Open" division in that series.  I think there are only 2 oly/international distance races in that series and no HIM.  The numbers for the TrySports series were very low this year.....I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't offered next year.
2011-09-23 1:06 PM

User image

North Carolina
Thanks for the info guys. It'll be interesting to see how the 2012 schedule shakes out.
2011-09-27 7:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

I have a similar situation ... this year was my first year of racing too.  My approach was to try and race about every 6 weeks, regardless of the event organizer.  It was more of a which organizer had a race that fit into my timing slot, and more accessible from a drive standpoint.   So I raced events with both Trysport and FSS series organizers.  I think the FSS series was a bit more grass roots, but I really loved the biking leg of their events.  As to one organizer being more chic' or sophisticated than the other ... swimming is swimming - biking is biking and running is well ... painful

2011-09-27 8:27 PM
in reply to: #3702869

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2011-09-28 9:06 AM

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh

I think Setup was always a little light on events around Raleigh, so FS filled that void. I tend to do a lot of FS because of where I live. FS and Trysports Series tend to have smaller events, IOSTS tend to be bigger. They are all well run.

Even though I have no shot at winning I would consider adding a race if it qualified me for the series. I figure my schedule based on date, price, reputation, and distance. Then if I notice I'm heavy in one series I might look around for a good option to round out that series, but its not worth forcing it for me.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Set Up Events Series Rss Feed