General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dc suggestions? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-23 5:09 PM

User image

Expert
A Husker stuck in VA
Subject: Dc suggestions?

The 8th is my 10 year anniversary and I will be deploying for 8-9 months in November.  I have thecash and plan to take the wife to DC for the weekend, just looking for input on a fairly decent price hotel close enough to everything that a short cab ride or even the metro will get us around.  I will be driving up but unless things have changed for the better in 16 years I know that parking and traffic make you like a cab.

Like I said, not looking for the 200 a night room, as we will only be in it a few hours a night.  Would take recommendations on things to see.  already planning on a couple monuments and a day at the Smithsonian.  Oooo, and a nice place for a dinner.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Scott

2011-09-23 6:26 PM
in reply to: #3698400

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: Dc suggestions?
I would suggest you stay in VA. Crystal city is very easily accessed by metro, and will probably give you the most bang for the buck.

I cant think of a hotel in DC that is reasonably priced.
2011-09-23 8:32 PM
in reply to: #3698472

User image

Veteran
Central VA

agreed, stay in VA and ride the Metro in.

I stayed in the Springfield area last time.

2011-09-24 6:46 PM

User image

Chesapeake, VA

I have two suggestions for hotels.

1: There is a Hampton Inn in Alexandria, VA. http://www.hamptoninnalexandria.com Its a nice hotel and is a 5 minute drive from the Metro station (Huntington) and they have free parking at the hotel. From what I can tell as soon as you cross the beltline (I-495) they charge you $15-30 per night to park at the hotel as a guest. I use this place a lot as its easy to get to and is close to restuarants, shops and the metro. It has gotten more pricey and may be around the $140-$160 range.

2: There are a bunch of hotels near the Springfield mall. They are also only a few minutes from the metro station. We stayed at a Holiday Inn Express there a few years back and it was only $69. Again they have free parking and is really close to all amenities.

If you stay at either place I would use the metro as the taxi rates into town would be fairly high, plus its a nice relaxing 20-40 minute ride into town.

I am assuming you are coming up I-95 from the south. If you are coming from the west, try for a hotel around Vienna and drive to the Metro station there. Basically I would try for a hotel near the end station of the metro as they tend to be cheaper, near plenty of shopping/eatery and parking at the metro is more plentiful (and affordable $3.75 per day weekdays, free on holidays and weekends) PM me if you need more help. PS Try Hotwire.com and look at the outer areas I mentioned.

2011-09-26 12:57 PM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
NavyTRIChief - 2011-09-23 6:09 PM

The 8th is my 10 year anniversary and I will be deploying for 8-9 months in November.  I have thecash and plan to take the wife to DC for the weekend, just looking for input on a fairly decent price hotel close enough to everything that a short cab ride or even the metro will get us around.  I will be driving up but unless things have changed for the better in 16 years I know that parking and traffic make you like a cab.

Like I said, not looking for the 200 a night room, as we will only be in it a few hours a night.  Would take recommendations on things to see.  already planning on a couple monuments and a day at the Smithsonian.  Oooo, and a nice place for a dinner.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Scott

Inside the city at sub-200 is gonna be tough, at least anywhere you won't need to be armed at all times.  As others have said look at Arlington, Pentagon City, and Crystal City.  Plenty of hotels right on or near the Metro that will all be a 10 minute ride into the city.

As for chow, you have to be more specific.  I can recommend numerous places, but need some type of guidance... food preference, price range, suit and tie or jeans and polo shirt, etc.  I'm a foodie so you will not get any of the usual suspects from me.  I don't go to Ruths Chris or McCormick and Schmicks,  I like one off places that have good chefs.  Let me know what your thinking and I'll shoot you some ideas.

2011-09-29 8:56 PM

User image

Expert
A Husker stuck in VA
Thanks for the suggestions, however, as with all decisions involving my wife.... WE have changed OUR minds.  Headed to Shenandoah Valley I guess.  As for the armed thing... do people really travel unarmed in DC?

2011-09-30 8:21 AM
in reply to: #3705943

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

NavyTRIChief - 2011-09-29 9:56 PM Thanks for the suggestions, however, as with all decisions involving my wife.... WE have changed OUR minds.  Headed to Shenandoah Valley I guess.  As for the armed thing... do people really travel unarmed in DC?

Only the law abiding citizens!

Have fun in the valley... some superb ridding out there if you can bring your bike.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dc suggestions? Rss Feed