Tri-to-Win Events
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 35m 14s
Overall Rank = 30/382
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/21
Pre-race routine:

B and I left early on Friday, and drove the ~3 hours to Deep Creek Lake. We picked up my packets for the 30 and 70 races on Friday night, then headed out to dinner. We ate, and went to bed fairly early. On the morning of, we got up early, she grabbed breakfast but I only had coffee. We then drove the ~10min to the race site. All in all, it was pretty uneventful (which is the way I like it!)
Event warmup:

We got to the park early, and I was able to setup Transition without any issues. Savageman is the only race I've done where bathrooms aren't an issue, so that was nice. Basically I just walked around and stretched to try to stay loose. Once transition closed, I shed my extra clothes and put on the wetsuit to stay warm. I was in the first wave, so I had less waiting than some.
Swim
  • 30m
  • 1637 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

My main goal for this swim was to take it fairly easy, since I knew I had a day of racing today and the full Savageman 70 tomorrow. For me, I sighted and drafted really well. I swam straight, and rounded the bouys without a lot of problems. The only real difficulty I had was about ~80% into the swim, some guy decided to frog kick which connected with my mouth. Ouch. Thanks, buddy. I was in the first wave, and was getting caught by the wave behind me near the end of the swim (7min delay). I'm a slow swimmer, so am used to this.
What would you do differently?:

Not much that I can think of.
Transition 1
  • 03m 53s
Comments:

A very average T1 for me. I just have a lot of trouble getting my wetsuit over my heels. Other than that, there were no major issues. I did forget to take the cleat covers off of my shoes. One of them had come off in the bag, but the other was still attached to my shoe. Obviously, I couldn't clip in at the bike dismount, and it took a second or two to figure out why. I put the cover in my tri shirt, but eventually lost it. I was 86th overall, 9th in my AG

Take off my cleat covers! Duh
Bike
  • 1h 14m 35s
  • 22.9 miles
  • 18.42 mile/hr
Comments:

My main goal was to pace the bike conservatively, so that I would have legs left for the run and more importantly the 70 race the next day. I think I did a pretty good job at that - I took the up hills easy and coasted on many of the downs. Being a slow swimmer, I passed a ton of people in the early stage of the race. "On your left!" becomes a pretty common statement from me. I was pleased that not a single person passed me on the bike.

5 mile splits: 19, 19, 19, 17, 20 (2.73miles)

Possibly put the arm warmers on before the swim on in T1. I was cold!
Transition 2
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

A quick, uneventful T1. I was 47th overall, 6th in my AG.

N/A
Run
  • 45m 15s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I wanted to take the run fairly easy as well to save strength for the 70 the next day. But I love running, so it is hard to hold back at times. I started fairly conservatively, but near the end pushed the pace. I ran up firetower road, and once I crested it I killed the rest of the run. I passed 3 guys in the final 1.2 miles, and every one of them said "$hit!". By the third time, it was quite funny, actually. The first guy try to catch up, but I was able to drop the hammer and pass him quite easily. Two of these 3 guys were in my AG, so speeding up at the end got me on the podium. Not a single person passed me on the run, either.

Mile splits: 7:13, 7:32, 7:18, 7:13, 7:50, 6:44, 6:29 (.2 miles)

N/A
Post race
Warm down:

After finishing, I put on my my arm warmers and jacket, and wrapped up in a space blanket. I was freezing! After I grabbed lunch and some drinks, B and I just chilled for a while. I would have left earlier and come back to rack my bike for the 70 later in the afternoon, but once the results were posted I wanted to stay and get my AG award. After the race B and I were able to talk to 6x Ironman champ Dave Scott, who seemed like a really great guy. After the AG awards, we hung out in the warm car for a while, then racked my bike for the 70.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Saving energy for the 70.0 race the next day. I could have definitely done all 3 legs a bit faster, though it probably wouldn't have changed my overall or AG placings a whole heck of a lot.

Event comments:

As far as the course goes, this is the "mini-me" Savageman. It's challenging, but pales in comparison to the 70.0. But the race itself is awesome. The race is well run, organized, well stocked, and any other good thing you can think of. The post race food is also good. The pre-race handout was a pair of quite nice cycling gloves, which I used for both races. Pre-race goodies you can actually use are excellent in my book. I said it last year, and feel the same this year, is that my only MINOR quibble is the lack of medals. Finisher tees are nice (especially tech tees), but there's something I really like about a medal. I would also like to see the 30.0 finishers get a different shirt than the 70 (again, a MINOR quibble). All in all, I can't recommend this race enough, it's really one of the best I've done. Schedule permitting, I'll be back.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-06-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:00 | 1637 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/21
Overall: 211/382
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot Fuzion
Course: Basically an out and back through Deep Creek Lake.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:53
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:14:35 | 22.9 miles | 18.42 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/21
Overall: 31/382
Average HR 154 Max HR 174 (actually right at first)
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: A mini-Savageman. The course is a "lollipop" through western Maryland. It's tough, but no where near the real Savageman. There was only one bad hill (called Bumblebee) that was notable. It was a beautiful ride, and a lot of fun riding it. I did hit ~45mph at one point.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:45:15 | 06.21 miles | 07m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/21
Overall: 18/382
Average HR = 160 Max HR = 173
Course: The run course is through Deep Creek State Park, and is basically one loop of the 70.0 run. There's a tough hill going up into the campground, and then a hiking path straight up firetower road. You can run the latter, but it's not a ton faster than just walking it.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-09-23 7:13 PM

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
Subject: SavageMan Triathlon 30.0

2011-09-24 6:46 PM
in reply to: #3698508

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: SavageMan Triathlon 30.0
Waiting patiently for the Savageman 100.0 RR...
2011-09-24 9:56 PM
in reply to: #3699111

User image

Master
Fulton, MD

jmhpsu93 - 2011-09-24 7:46 PM Waiting patiently for the Savageman 100.0 RR...

Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=269564&posts=1#M3699209

2011-09-25 9:18 AM

Pro
yep,
Nice job on the hardware.
2011-09-25 12:09 PM

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia